Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Prexie Advertising Covers  

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
466 Posts
Posted 10/12/2017   02:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Ciletaliph to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message

Please post your advertising covers with Prexies here!

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
1223 Posts
Posted 10/12/2017   05:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blcjr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm showing some ignorance here, but if I don't ask I'll remain ignorant. What is the attraction to "Prexies?" (My collecting focus is airmail and aviation topical, FWIW.) Is there a value premium associated with covers using Prexies, as if so, why is that?

I know there is interest in these, I'm just curious about any particular reasons for it.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
625 Posts
Posted 10/12/2017   06:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
  • Postal history is a big part of collecting Prexies.
  • There used to be and still are lots of Prexie covers, etc. around to study.
  • Covers used to be way cheaper than collecting pre-Banknote covers, and still are cheaper, relatively.
  • There is foreign mail, registered, special service rates, cancels, etc. to branch out into.
  • Rates are no mystery, but just try to find proper usage in some cases. Plus the combinations of frankings possible is a pretty big number. I like the combo on the Bangor cover above, just because.
  • There are rare usages that bring big bucks and there are the vast majority that belong in a dime box or shoe box lot, with a lot of stuff in between. Just like covers in general.

There's lots of ways to collect other than one mint stamp of each going by the major numbers in a Scott catalog -- is that your way of collecting? You'd be missing a lot that way, I think.
Pillar Of The Community
1223 Posts
Posted 10/12/2017   11:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blcjr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There's lots of ways to collect other than one mint stamp of each going by the major numbers in a Scott catalog -- is that your way of collecting? You'd be missing a lot that way, I think.

Yes, I would. More than you might realize. My main interest is US airmail and aviation topical stamps. There are 150 US airmail stamps. Maybe another 30-40 aviation topical that I collect. I've collected singles, plate blocks (and panes or line pairs), and most variants of all of these by now. I am not collecting "one mint stamp of each" any more. So I've branched out into covers. First day covers and first flight covers mostly, but I also have a couple of exhibit interests, one of which has me dabbling in various postal history covers.

You really didn't identify anything in particular about the prexies. Would it be fair to say that it is the fact that they constitute a somewhat varied but still limited set of stamps that one can focus upon, say like Washington-Franklins, or as in my case, US airmails?

Thanks for the reply.

Basil
Pillar Of The Community
United States
757 Posts
Posted 10/12/2017   8:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Basil,

The "Prexie" Period has to be the most complex Rate Use Period in 20th Century U.S. Postal History. Today, there are solo usage Prexie covers fetching record prices of up to $2,000+ for a single cover.

Unfortunately Basil, you are a typical stamp collector that can't see a stamp beyond what you can paste on an album page and you never will. You'll never enjoy a stamp for their intended purpose. Did you know they had a purpose?

Stamps are a monetary conveyance and rate of exchange. They are a means to convey mail, domestically and internationally, from point A to point B for a given amount. I study and collect Washington-Franklin Issue and postal history; the Prexie postal history period is far more complex. If you ever read any books on the subject you might to start to understand.

So, go back to your collecting a single stamp at a time. Like many others, you blindly enjoy sticking stamps on album pages; pages designed for people who do don't want to think about the stamps they collect. You simply collect to fill a blank space. Your imagination will never permit you to enjoy any stamp issue, including Airmails or Washington-Franklins.

Basil, you will never fully enjoy collecting when you think the "measure" of a stamp issue is based on the total number of stamps issued. And don't worry about "WHY" people enjoy collecting the Prexie issue. Postal History and Prexies are far to complex for you to understand.

People specialize in the first U.S. issue and its postal history with only two stamps! I bet you think the First Issue is totally boring and useless.

Hal
Edited by Hal - 10/12/2017 10:15 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4259 Posts
Posted 10/12/2017   8:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some would bring a lot more then that if they are ever found.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2135 Posts
Posted 10/12/2017   8:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They're endless fun and there is a book about them.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
757 Posts
Posted 10/12/2017   10:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Enjoy this mixed usage… (note the Airmail & Prexie usage.)

Pillar Of The Community
United States
757 Posts
Posted 10/12/2017   10:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
How about this mixed usage…

Pillar Of The Community
United States
757 Posts
Posted 10/12/2017   10:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some Ad covers...

Pillar Of The Community
United States
757 Posts
Posted 10/12/2017   11:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And a few more…

I have many more, I hope you enjoy these.

Hal
Edited by Hal - 10/12/2017 11:33 pm
Pillar Of The Community
1223 Posts
Posted 10/13/2017   09:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blcjr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hal,

These remarks were uncalled for:

Quote:
Unfortunately Basil, you are a typical stamp collector that can't see a stamp beyond what you can paste on an album page and you never will. You'll never enjoy a stamp for their intended purpose. Did you know they had a purpose?

Quote:
So, go back to your collecting a single stamp at a time. Like many others, you blindly enjoy sticking stamps on album pages; pages designed for people who do don't want to think about the stamps they collect. You simply collect to fill a blank space. Your imagination will never permit you to enjoy any stamp issue, including Airmails or Washington-Franklins.

Basil, you will never fully enjoy collecting when you think the "measure" of a stamp issue is based on the total number of stamps issued. And don't worry about "WHY" people enjoy collecting the Prexie issue. Postal History and Prexies are far to complex for you to understand.

People specialize in the first U.S. issue and its postal history with only two stamps! I bet you think the First Issue is totally boring and useless.

For all you could not know, I was asking in order to see if there might be some attraction to the Prexies that would interest me. And aside from your unwarranted ad hominem remarks, you provided some insight that I would have otherwise been very appreciative of.

I could go on an on about how unwarranted your remarks are pointing to numerous posts and threads where I've demonstrated that I am more than just about pasting stamps in an album.

Shame on you. Your post is a discredit to the entire forum.

Basil
Pillar Of The Community
1223 Posts
Posted 10/13/2017   10:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blcjr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, it isn't an advertising cover, but it does have Prexies (just to show that I'm not just a pretty face pasting mint stamps in an album )
Valued Member
United States
150 Posts
Posted 10/13/2017   11:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moyock13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
blcjr,

I couldn't begin to explain the draw to Prexies, I just find them interesting. Unfortunately I have not collected any covers, might be the next interest. To date I have collected mostly precancels and perfins, besides used or cancelled prexies.

And to tell you the truth, most of my stamps are in stock books and labled. Easier to see the groups rather than just a single stamp. Just my .02!

Thanks to those who've posted covers in this thread. I'd like to see more!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
757 Posts
Posted 10/13/2017   7:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No, Basil…

you deserved my response and more. Your remarks to hy-basil were unwanted and demonstrated your true ignorance of stamps and their subject matter. Unfortunately, you didn't appreciate having a mirror held up to you exposing what you are. Next time, don't put down someone who kind enough to take some time to explain the subject -- say "Thank You".
Learn More...
4025 Posts
Posted 10/13/2017   7:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Folks please, lets move on. Text messages are sometimes not a good medium to convey nuances; misunderstandings can arise.
Don
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum TopicsRecently Active Forum Topics
  Finally Completed My Basic Admirals Page
  One very confusing certificate description
  1c 1851 Plate 2 Stamps
  Portugal value Error??
  Is There Anything Notable About This Check Dated Sep 6, 1930 Other Than It's Age?
  Moroccan Locals and Maghzan Cachets
  Danish West Indies Christmas Seals
  A little bit of not seeing the forest for the trees, perhaps?
  Needing some help with Cancel on O49 Stamp
  Need Information about flag cancellation
  Guatemala- color variation or ??
  Found on the back of a 1941 Deutsches Reich cover...
  Error on "ENIGMA, GA" Precancel
  FS: 2017 Scott US Specialized Catalogue Lightly used $45 - shipping included
  I need help identifying this stamp and any history on it.
  Postcard Question - Are Unused Postcards of Any Philatelic Value?
  Japanese Almanac without revenue stamp circa 1900's?
  Victoria 1862/5: 2/- blue on greenish paper without wmk?
  Inheretied stamp collection, video via YouTube
  Help to identify a King George imperf stamp
  Victoria 1878 - is this the 1/2d pink?
  Inheretied stamp collection
  My Website Has Launched
  Porto Rico narcotic stamps?
  War tax stamps with perfins

Green Stamps
  Finally Completed My Basic Admirals Page
  One very confusing certificate description
  Postcard Question - Are Unused Postcards of Any Philatelic Value?
  Need Information about flag cancellation
  Portugal value Error??
  1c 1851 Plate 2 Stamps
  Any speculation on 2018 issues?
  Victoria 1862/5: 2/- blue on greenish paper without wmk?
  War tax stamps with perfins
  Is There Anything Notable About This Check Dated Sep 6, 1930 Other Than It's Age?
  What Was in YOUR Mailbox Today??
  German Documents Reunited with Owner
  Sc 19 Cartier - I do not see any re-entries ??
  Monaco - Large Numeral Lozenge cancel 2387
  Food on Stamps!
  The Stamps of Turkey : On Steiner Pages.
  The Stamps of Australia : On Steiner Pages.
  Austria : Stamps on Steiner pages.
  What Did You Do Philatelically: Today or Recently?
  Turkish, Arabic? Envelope with printed stamp in the middle?
  Moroccan Locals and Maghzan Cachets
  More Cats on Stamps
  A little bit of not seeing the forest for the trees, perhaps?
  Boys Town Nebraska 1952

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.86 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05