Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Raised lettering on a stamp - 101  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5099 Posts
Posted 10/12/2017   11:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message
Hi
just thought I would bring up a subject that many stamp collectors ignore or don't realize exists...RAISED LETTERING ON STAMPS.

The definition of raised lettering is as follows...
"Raised lettering is done through a special technique used by off-set printers. They apply a Thermographic powder to wet ink on a stamp sheet and they react to each other causing the bubble effect"

While I was in high school in printing class, I did this many times on business cards, wedding cards, etc...The technique is exactly the same for stamps.

Immediately after the stamp sheet has been printed and before it lands on the previous sheet a nozzle spray a very fine dark power on the printed area...It reacts immediately to the chemical and bubbles up to form raised lettering.

You can feel the deference and see it also..One easy way to tell if it have been raised is to look for small pot holes on a letter which was a bubble that burst and became concave.

Below is a random stamp I used to show the raised letter effect. look at this Newfoundland Scott 156..

Below is a close up of the same stamp...The left brown line is the exact same colour as the left red arrow is pointing to..The difference in colour is caused by the powder reacting to wet ink.

The 5 brown arrows in the middle shows the highlights of he raised lettering (tops of the lettering)..The far right red arrow shows again the original colour printed as shown by the picture below.

Now having said that, here is a shocker for you.. My printing experience tells me that this stamp and other were sent trough the printing press twice...The lettering to be raised was printed first to get the raised lettering affect...Then ran trough the presses again to finish the rest of the stamp...The reason I know this to be true is it is impossible (IMPOSSIBLE) to achieve an exacting fine spray to get this wanted affect on such tiny areas...It looks like two different colours on this stamp, BUT they are exactly the same, just one is chemically affected.

Hope it sheds a bit of light on a print effect that has been lost over time

Robert
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Canada
67 Posts
Posted 10/12/2017   4:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pwscg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Robert,

Excellent discourse! How about submitting this as an article to the Canadian Philatelist or BNA Topics? I'm sure a lot of people would appreciate the information.

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1133 Posts
Posted 10/12/2017   4:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You could have fooled me. I thought this was an ordinary, engraved stamp where the paper was pushed into the recessed areas to pick up the ink, thus giving it a raised effect.
Edited by bookbndrbob - 10/12/2017 4:31 pm
Learn More...
3792 Posts
Posted 10/12/2017   4:47 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The equipment to do this appears to be quite rare in this time period, would they have purchased and used such 'bleeding edge' materials and equipment when printing stamps?
http://thermographic-equipment.com/...ic-printing/
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5099 Posts
Posted 10/12/2017   6:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
he equipment to do this appears to be quite rare in this time period,

Don..I was trained on old to new equipment
HEIDELBERG PRESS..This press used the powdered spray for raised lettering.

LINOTYPE MACHINE

AND FINALLY THE A.B.DICK 360 PRESS

And yes I have kept old cards from the 1800's from my printing class that had raised lettering.

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
5579 Posts
Posted 10/12/2017   7:14 pm  Show Profile Check BeeSee's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Robert, I would be REALLY surprised if that Newfoundland stamp was sent through the press twice. It is listed as a single color dark blue in Scott/Unitrade.

If there were two passes, then there is bound to be easily distinguishable shifting on different stamps.
BeeSee in BC
"The Postmark is Mightier than the Stamp"
http://brcstamps.com ---- BNAPS, RPSC, APS
Pillar Of The Community
2361 Posts
Posted 10/12/2017   10:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Bookbndrbob regarding engraved stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5099 Posts
Posted 10/13/2017   08:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, the printing company was Thomas De La Rue & Company

In 1855, the British Post Office awarded a contract for the firm to print postage stamps, using the relief printing process...So the process has been around for many, many years.

The company printed stamps for Newfoundland (more than 50 postage stamp issues), and several countries, namely Australia, Belgium, Bermuda, Egypt, Hong Kong, India, Ireland, New Zealand, Portugal, Swaziland, Trinidad, the United States.

Now on the older Platinum Presses the whole stamp was run through to create a proof as to allow the proof reader (that is what they called a person to read, except or deny stamp production)...The whole stamp process is locked in the top part of a Platinum Press and the sheets were fed into the lower part of the press...it is very EASY to remove the rest of the stamp except the word "NEWFOUNDLAND because of lockable wedges..That would leave the single word in exact alignment for a second run for Thermographic powder application.

Hey guys, just trying to use common sense using my old printer skills...And if anyone out there knows how a printer/printer process can apply Thermographic powder to such a small area that NEWFOUNDLAND occupies on a stamp without affecting the ink on the rest of the stamp, I will apologize and end this post..

Thanks for any input guys.

Robert

Valued Member
United States
479 Posts
Posted 10/13/2017   11:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting.
Is there any documentation from post office records on how they did this?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5099 Posts
Posted 10/13/2017   12:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is there any documentation from post office records on how they did this?

txstamp..Don't have the slightest clue where to begin to get information archives from the post office.

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1133 Posts
Posted 10/13/2017   1:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Print is naturally raised above the paper surface through the intaglio printing process. The most likely reason for a change in color in a printed area is that the ink has oxidized in that place.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1066 Posts
Posted 10/14/2017   7:41 pm  Show Profile Check CanadaStamp's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CanadaStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wert - Canada Post is not a source for much in the way of stamp production technical information. You need to go to the National Archives - where you can see such things as proofs and printing contracts / specs, or the manufacturers who would surely have such records. As for the latter though I doubt very much they have an interest in answering philatelic questions.
Valued Member
Canada
274 Posts
Posted Yesterday   12:51 pm  Show Profile Check gportch's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add gportch to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thermography has not been used for any stamp issued in Canada or British North America. It simply is not a practical or suitable process for any security printing.

The stamp in question in this discussion is an intaglio printing from steel plates.

GJP
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
551 Posts
Posted Yesterday   4:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Galeoptix to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thermography has been used for the first time - as far as postage stamps goes - for as Turkish stamp in the 1960-ies!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum TopicsRecently Active Forum Topics
  Nice surprize-- 1c 1857, 23L7, Nice Curl in Head
  "Me" on eBay malfunctioning?
  My grandfather's collection
  South Dakota 1947 transportaion stamp
  1c 1851 Plate 1-Early Stamps
  Great Britain 1870 1/2p - Help identifying plate number
  A new level of absurdity. A 2 cent Washington "Red Line" that doesn't even have Washington on it.
  Japanese stamp - maybe not postage?
  Australia 1186 vs 1186a
  Washington 5 Cent blue
  Great Britain 1865-67 6d Plate 5 - Strange Watermark?
  Oct. 20 QUIZ: How Is Your Eye for Detail?
  Did USPS cut stamps to "show off selvage"?
  Columbian Page with #230-238
  Creatively redefining the term "Major Vignette Shift."
  Do you think that this movie prop cover is real?
  Wish I had this much optimistic wishful thinking
  I found a Scott #544 on a postcard!
  1941 Sun-Yat-Sen triple error misprints from Hong Kong
  Found Stamp in old Japanese Book. Please help to identify
  1870's three cent green....mark and color ?
  1870's Fifteen cent ... secret mark?
  237: double impression, kiss print, or just really crappy printing?
  U349a? It looks OK but does anyone have any ideas?
  Identifying manila paper and color question

Australia 1186 vs 1186a
  Has Anyone Dealt with Status International
  Examples of Scrip Certificates
  Identifying manila paper and color question
  1765 stamp act revenue stamps
  I found a Scott #544 on a postcard!
  Do you think that this movie prop cover is real?
  Stamp Collecting, The News Of It's Death Are Greatly Exaggerated.
  Did USPS cut stamps to "show off selvage"?
  South Dakota 1947 transportaion stamp
  Anyone collect Postal Cards?
  Nice surprize-- 1c 1857, 23L7, Nice Curl in Head
  France 1966 Coat of arms Saint-Lô
  "Me" on eBay malfunctioning?
  American Philatelic Society Names New Editor
  1870's three cent green....mark and color ?
  China unidentified stamps
  My grandfather's collection
  Christmas Around the World 2017
  Going ape
  Stamps on Stamps
  Fruits anyone?
  Food on Stamps!
  FOOTWEAR - Shoes, Sneakers, and Other Foot Coverings!
  Cars / Automobiles / Trucks on Stamps

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.76 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05