Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ye Olde Album pages- is discoloration (foxing?) a problem?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
8 Posts
Posted 10/12/2017   1:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add BrotherSquint to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message
I recently purchased a mostly complete collection of Czech stamps to 1950 on old Scott album pages. The edges of the pages show a tannish brown discoloration. I have a Minkus Master Global Album with similar issues. Is this a problem I should be concerned about enough to prompt immediate removal of all the stamps and remounting in a different album?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
2559 Posts
Posted 10/12/2017   3:22 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This sounds more like shelf-storage marking than foxing, which is spotting on pages.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Learn More...
4025 Posts
Posted 10/12/2017   3:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Can you post some images?
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
625 Posts
Posted 10/12/2017   5:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
GeoffHa's got it. I assume its just affecting the page edges here, so it's just ageing and not-perfect storage. Part of it may be years of oil from fingers handling the pages.

Your stamps are okay. Just store your albums in a cool, dry place away from direct sun, working fireplaces, cooking smoke, etc.
Learn More...
4025 Posts
Posted 10/12/2017   5:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If the pages have become acidified (toned and brittle) then it might warrant getting the stamps off of them. A few images would be helpful to understand what is at work here.
Don
United States
1 Posts
Posted 10/12/2017   10:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bamafan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My old stamp albums are same , yellowing dis colored.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1887 Posts
Posted 10/13/2017   11:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This sounds more like shelf-storage marking than foxing, which is spotting on pages.

Is there any thing that can be done to remove or lighten the spotting?

Seems storing in slip cases would prevent this.
United States
1 Posts
Posted 10/13/2017   1:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampalbumperson to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have several Scott albums purchased roughly 40 years ago.Paper appears to be archival quality;the albums are in good shape.My problem is that the lettering on the gold stamped titles on the spines of the albums has worn away and is largely illegible.
There is a chance that some well-meaning but ignorant person has
used some cleaner like Fantastik on the cloth in dusting the albums.
The well-meaning but ignorant person denies this.Has anyone else experienced this almost complete loss of the gold stamped titles on the spines of their albums? I guess there could be an age related failure of the glue attaching the gold leaf.
Valued Member
222 Posts
Posted 10/22/2017   02:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You can buy replacement labels which glue onto Scott Specialty albums. That should renew your faded gold lettering. Of course they can also be used on other brands of albums, but they are dark green if that's a problem.

As for page staining, there are different kinds. Spotting of brown discolorations is usually called "foxing" and is an organic problem that develops on paper in moist environments. A lot of stamp collections get put into basements and garages where high humidity damages them. Mildew is similar, easily recognizable by its sharp smell. You can try using an art gum artists' white eraser and see if you can remove these stains, but it's unlikely to work.

For removing the bad smell of mildew, use a long plastic storage box. Place the album in the middle on top of something to raise it a few inches from the bottom (a couple of Tupperware containers will work), then pour a box of baking soda around the album (it won't hurt the album if you accidentally spill some on the pages, but try not to). Then leave the album there for a few weeks. This can reduce or eliminate the mildew smell as baking soda absorbs odors well. You can also add crumpled paper towels around the album sprayed with odor-killing air freshener (Lysol is good), as well.

An alternative mildew killer is sunshine. Put anything with mildew in the bright sunshine on a very hot day for a few hours and it will kill mildew. This isn't recommended for stamps, however! It can be used on blank pages, binders, and so on.

Brownish tan edges on album pages may just be aging of the paper. Much album paper is not acid-free so it ages badly. Time for new pages. Or handling can give it a stained look. People don't always wash their hands before handling their albums. Tobacco can also stain pages (as well as giving them a bad odor). Dried, brittle pages need replacing, too.

Wet pages can get stained, as well, and that usually can't be removed. And it's likely to develop mildew.

The most effective solution is to transfer your stamps to some high quality album pages, and be sure they're acid-free. A bit laborious, but worthwhile. Store albums in a dry environment, using a dehumidifier if you can. To save existing pages, you may have to live with some limited staining, but be aware that foxing and mildew can also migrate to your stamps and ruin them. Pages with those problems should be replaced.
Edited by DrewM - 10/22/2017 02:41 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum TopicsRecently Active Forum Topics
  Finally Completed My Basic Admirals Page
  One very confusing certificate description
  1c 1851 Plate 2 Stamps
  Portugal value Error??
  Is There Anything Notable About This Check Dated Sep 6, 1930 Other Than It's Age?
  Moroccan Locals and Maghzan Cachets
  Danish West Indies Christmas Seals
  A little bit of not seeing the forest for the trees, perhaps?
  Needing some help with Cancel on O49 Stamp
  Need Information about flag cancellation
  Guatemala- color variation or ??
  Found on the back of a 1941 Deutsches Reich cover...
  Error on "ENIGMA, GA" Precancel
  FS: 2017 Scott US Specialized Catalogue Lightly used $45 - shipping included
  I need help identifying this stamp and any history on it.
  Postcard Question - Are Unused Postcards of Any Philatelic Value?
  Japanese Almanac without revenue stamp circa 1900's?
  Victoria 1862/5: 2/- blue on greenish paper without wmk?
  Inheretied stamp collection, video via YouTube
  Help to identify a King George imperf stamp
  Victoria 1878 - is this the 1/2d pink?
  Inheretied stamp collection
  My Website Has Launched
  Porto Rico narcotic stamps?
  War tax stamps with perfins

Show us your Turkey's on stamps
  Green Stamps
  Finally Completed My Basic Admirals Page
  One very confusing certificate description
  Postcard Question - Are Unused Postcards of Any Philatelic Value?
  Need Information about flag cancellation
  Portugal value Error??
  1c 1851 Plate 2 Stamps
  Any speculation on 2018 issues?
  Victoria 1862/5: 2/- blue on greenish paper without wmk?
  War tax stamps with perfins
  Is There Anything Notable About This Check Dated Sep 6, 1930 Other Than It's Age?
  What Was in YOUR Mailbox Today??
  German Documents Reunited with Owner
  Sc 19 Cartier - I do not see any re-entries ??
  Monaco - Large Numeral Lozenge cancel 2387
  Food on Stamps!
  The Stamps of Turkey : On Steiner Pages.
  The Stamps of Australia : On Steiner Pages.
  Austria : Stamps on Steiner pages.
  What Did You Do Philatelically: Today or Recently?
  Turkish, Arabic? Envelope with printed stamp in the middle?
  Moroccan Locals and Maghzan Cachets
  More Cats on Stamps
  A little bit of not seeing the forest for the trees, perhaps?

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.54 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05