Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Non-advertising Prexie Covers

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1043 Posts
Posted 10/14/2017   4:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Hal to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Apology accept, Basil.

I'm going to post a few non-advertising Prexie advertising covers that I hope everyone will enjoy.

Best,
Hal
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1043 Posts
Posted 10/14/2017   5:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Prexie in lieu of "postage due" stamps when there was a printing shortage of the issue.

Mail from an FDR CCC Camp

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1043 Posts
Posted 10/14/2017   5:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
An example of Mail Returned Due to Suspended Service of an Occupied Country - WWII

Occupied French Marking

Edited by Hal - 10/14/2017 5:09 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1043 Posts
Posted 10/14/2017   5:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Underpaid with mixed franking French Postage Due

Split Rate Airmail Usage: By Air in USA - Ground to UPU Country Beyond!

TRIPLE WEIGHT, UPU SURFACE WEIGHT

Edited by Hal - 10/15/2017 12:15 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1043 Posts
Posted 10/14/2017   5:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
11C TRANSIENT RATE - SOLO USAGE

SC# 830A PAIR - DEEP BLUE VARIETYa ON COVER TO FRANCE

SPECIAL GIFT PARCEL RATE ENACTED AS PART OF THE MARSHALL PLAN

DOUBLE EUROPEAN AIRMAIL RATE

EXAMPLE OF A.R. "AVIS RECEPTION" (RETURN RECEIPT REQUEST"

AND ANOTHER

AIR MAIL TO SOUTH AFRICA, VIA THE SOUTHERN ROUTE (BRAZIL) VS. TRAN-ATLANTIC

Valued Member
United States
496 Posts
Posted 10/14/2017   5:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moyock13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hal, on several of the cancellations you just posted there are Killer Type, OAL and Variety listed. What are they?

Moyock13
Pillar Of The Community
2403 Posts
Posted 10/14/2017   5:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hal,
On your page with the cover from Sidney, OH to Howe IN, may I propose another scenario to your text of:

Quote:
A 3c Prexie ... was used in lieu of a Postage Due stamp because of postage due stamp shortages.

Do you have documentation of inadequate stamp supplies at the Howe post office to back this statement up? Instead, let's consider Form 3548, which is designed specifically to notify a recipient of postage due charges and encourage them to return stamps to cover the deficit. I believe many examples of "postage stamps used to pay postage due charges" are the result of the use of Form 3548. The clerk affixes the returned stamps to the underpaid mail and it completes its journey. Also, if there were a due-stamp shortage, a clerk would use a sheet stamp and typically not break a booklet. Make sense?

Edited by John Becker - 10/14/2017 6:02 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1043 Posts
Posted 10/14/2017   6:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
MILITARY POST OFFICE (MPO) USAGE OF INTERNATIONAL PARCEL POST

REGISTEREED A.O. RATE - AIR SERVICE FOR OTHER ARTICLES

ILLEGAL STAMPS SUBSTITUTED FOR POSTAGE - AND ACCEPTED!

PERFIN USAGE - FAM TO EGYPT

FAM ADVERTISING COVER TO BRAZIL

CLIPPER MAIL WITH PRE-CANEL POSTAGE DUE USAGE -

INTER-ISLAND RATE USAGE: GUAM TO HAWAII
uploaded/hal/20171014_Prex038.jpg[/img

WWII CENSORED MAIL - DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY - SPECIAL MARKINGS

'BLUE LINE' MAIL

RATE CONFUSION BY POSTAL CLERKS

TRACING/TRACKING THE TRAVELS OF A COVER IS GREAT FUN!

SPECIAL DELIVERY USAGES ARE FASCINATING, WHEN CHARGED CORRECTLY

IN MY OPINION, A RARE RATE ON COVER

WHEN THE ILLEGAL USAGE IS CAUGHT

DUAL USAGE: 4TH CLASS INSURED-MINIMUM FEE, LIBRARY RATE

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1043 Posts
Posted 10/14/2017   6:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jeff,

That is also a great alternative explanation for the usage even though there was a shortage of low value postage dues during the late-40s & during the Korean War period. I think I will add your info to the page. But your comment causes me another problem. Now, I have to make changes to about a dozen pages in my collection with similar applications. :) Thanks for the great input!

Best,
Hal

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1043 Posts
Posted 10/14/2017   7:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jenny2U,

The scarce use variety is the 1 SC#849 Vertical Coil. However, not all usages are valid. The stamp was designed for 3rd Class Bulk Mailings, 4th Class: Book, Special Rate Mail Insurance, etc. To be sure your cover is legitimate, IF the cover/card is uncanceled there should be a printed endorsement like, 'SEC. 34.66, P.L.& R' OR 'BULK MAIL', 'BULK RATE' printed directly above or aside the stamp. IF the stamp bears a machine cancellation, the 'MONTH" and "DAY" line must be "SET-BACK", with ONLY THE YEAR ALLOWED to be showing. (See the examples below). Otherwise, the cover/card is dubious to have been mailed at a discounted Bulk Rate, under a #3602 BULK MAILING of 200pc, or more, or a 4th Class Book Mailing, etc., as the PL&R required the stamps be cancelled at the time of mailing. I may have missed one of the special rates, but in all cases the stamps would be "undated" as described.

Best,
Hal

DIRECT MAIL - BULK MAIL FROM A STAMP DEALER

DIRECT MAIL - BULK MAIL - UNKNOWN MAILER
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1043 Posts
Posted 10/14/2017   7:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Moyock13 -

Thank you!

Hal
Edited by Hal - 10/14/2017 7:14 pm
Learn More...
7584 Posts
Posted 10/14/2017   7:19 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Split this into new thread.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1043 Posts
Posted 10/14/2017   7:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
1 RATES & USAGES INCLUDING M.P.O. (MILITARY POST OFFICE) USAGE

1 BULK RATE RATE DIRECT MAIL PC WITH DATE ROLLED-BACK IN CANCELLATION

OTHER EXAMPLES

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1043 Posts
Posted 10/14/2017   8:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Hal, on several of the cancellations you just posted there are Killer Type, OAL and Variety listed. What are they?

Moyock13

Hi Moyock13,

Postal Machine cancellations have been studied extensively and many collectors and many books have been published over the years studying these cancellations. The International Machine Cancellation Society (www.machinecancel.org/ ) has an excellent set of books, by machine manufacturer, and has attempted to unify a Dial and Killer Classifications.

What your looking at is my study of machine cancels by manufacturer. I am seeking to identify new varieties and EKU/LKU (Earliest Known Use - Latest Known Use). Problem with some pages is I started the study before I was a member of the MCS and I haven't converted all the pages to their Dial & Killer Types. I have been doing that slowly this year. Fortunately, I have never exhibited this collection.

Above the the horizontal line you see the name of the machine manufacturer (International Postal Supply Co., - which is now part of Pitney-Bowes.) and then "Machine Specifications: Dial Type and Killer Type. Below the line I define the component structure size and variables. OAL is a measurement abbreviation for Overall Length. Killer Variety is for "Luff-numbers". Moe Luff defined Slogan Cancels an assigned a series of numbers and rated their scarcity. All other values are variables by size in mm.

I hope that helps explain what I am doing.

Best,
Hal
Pillar Of The Community
2403 Posts
Posted 10/14/2017   8:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Inventing new abbreviations and acronyms gets a lot of push-back because it fails to communicate. Why not just say what you mean - like "killer length" or "overall length"?

Along a different line, is all the typing and subtyping of the machines really adding anything to the visual impact of the philatelic material? Why not leave it as "International flier machine cancel with wavy line killer", etc? Keep it simple.
Pillar Of The Community
2403 Posts
Posted 10/14/2017   8:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
re: your 17 cent solo cover forwarded to Maine ... It slipped past the clerks and should have been uprated to a 3 cent letter when it was forwarded on to Maine and ceased to be a local letter. Very nice!

re: your 69 cent rate with 2 war savings stamps ... You state this is a front, and it appears to be only a partial front as the return address lines run off the left end. This leaves interpretation to some guessing, so I will do that and I suspect what you really have is a double weight special delivery letter with the war savings stamps going along for a free ride in the name of patriotism. Thus 3 cent for each of 2 ounces and 13 cents special delivery fee = 19 cents, fully paid.

You state here again about shortages of stamps ... where are you getting this information from? I don't recall seeing a reference to it in the standard literature.
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05