Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Non-advertising Prexie Covers

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1043 Posts
Posted 10/14/2017   9:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi John,

Your absolutely correct about the missed required up-rating requirement when the cover was forwarded to Maine. And I like your reasoning behind the 69c Rate with the 2c war savings stamp. I like the reasoning--but I'm not quite sure your correct on the "patriotism"; I will definitely revisit the page this week.

As for my statement on the shortage of postage due stamps come from a well known philatelic Author, Publisher and retired Auctioneer, David G. Phillips, owner of D.G. Phillips Publishing Inc., and D.G. PHILLIPS AUCTIONS INC., of North Miami Florida. Dave was the author, editor and publisher of the AMERICAN STAMPLESS COVER CATALOGS, THE CONFEDERATE STAMPLESS COVER CATALOGS, THE AMERICAN ILLUSTRATED ADVERTISING CATALOG. He was Editor and Publisher of "The SPEEDY: A HISTORY OF UNITED STATES SPECIAL DELIVERY SERVICE"; "U.S. PARCEL POST'; "POSTAL HISTORY & USAGE OF 1907 & EARLIER PRECANCELS"; POSTAL MARKINGS OF UNITED STATES EXPOSITIONS, First Edition; COLLECTORS GUIDE TO US MACHINE POSTMARKS 1981-1925, and many, many more. He is alive, well and one of the best-known authorities (at 89) on U.S. Postal History alive today. He has been my philatelic mentor and teacher for 57 years. Which may tell you I am a bit "long in tooth" and a collector for more years than I'd like to admit.

I didn't invent OAL, it's an old school term used in the Tool Industry, which is part of my background.

I stated, these pages are not for exhibiting, they are for my pleasure. If they were set-up for exhibiting I would use a different format. I use to exhibit collections nationally & internationally but stopped for just one of the reasons you demonstrated. I stopped trying to please others in the 1970s & 1980s when I tried to make pages to "other people's standards" when I exhibited and hated it! (And we didn't have computers then to make pages -- they were done by hand.) Now, I make pages to please only one person - me.

Other than that, "THANK YOU!" I greatly appreciate your comments. They make me a better philatelist, even at my age. (groan.)

Best,
Hal
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Hal - 10/14/2017 10:24 pm
Valued Member
77 Posts
Posted 10/14/2017   10:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add j_rogers to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hal,

Although one word would sum up my take on this thread, I will need to use two.

Absolutely Amazing!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1043 Posts
Posted 10/14/2017   10:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
J ROGERS -- THANK YOU!

And to all, the purpose of this thread is to demonstrate the various aspects and dimensions of PREXIE Postal History. I am attempting to show the fun and interesting collecting segments that may be pursued by a collector in this definitive issue beyond the stamps.

Hal
Pillar Of The Community
2404 Posts
Posted 10/14/2017   10:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
re: 11 cent rate, insured ... It lacks the "Minimum fee" handstamp because it is not minimum fee. I think it is single rate 3rd class (1.5 cents) + 10 cents for 5.01-25.00 insurance coverage = 11.5, exactly paid.

Yes, I am aware of Dave Phillips an his publications, etc. Did he ever put shortage thoughts into writing somewhere? Bottom line, I just don't see much evidence of stamp shortages except in dire emergency situations - floods, fires, etc.
Pillar Of The Community
2404 Posts
Posted 10/14/2017   11:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Acton, Indiana post office burned on September 22, 1947. For several days their emergency "cancel" was completely in manuscript. By Sep 29, they had obtained a rubber stamp with the town name but still had to add the date by hand.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1043 Posts
Posted 10/14/2017   11:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
WWII: RETURNED BY CENSOR WITH EXPLANATION ON REVERSE -
(THE STUDY OF THE CENSORED MAIL PERIOD IS FASCINATING)

THIS ONE WILL DRAW SOME DISCUSSION-

BELIEVE IT! OR NOT!
Examples of uprated mint, postal stationery in various denominations, are found in almost every dealer's box. When I questioned a retired local Postmaster if postal stationary was sold across the counter with stamps already attached and uprated to a new amount his reply was, "YES." Post Offices were not permitted to return old stock to Washington for credit, so window clerks were required, during their free time, to UPRATE old stocks of stationary and postal cards to reduce waste and eliminate old inventory, which was not allowed to be returned for credit. Unfortunately, there is no way to prove which was done by a postal clerk versus a patron. But that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

2C TRANSIENT RATE

IMPROPER USE OF A PRECANCEL DEVICE

3RD CLASS SINGLE PIECE

3RD CLASS SINGLE PIECE - PRECANCEL USAGE

2C INTERNATIONAL PRINTED MATTER, SURFACE RATE

FORM 3547-S TWO CENTS POSTAGE DUE FOR FORWARDING ADDRESS

RMS - RAILWAY MAIL SERVICE

2ND CLASS CONTROLLED CIRCULATION

PRE-CANCEL 562 PL&R MAILING - SHOWING DIFFERENT PRE-CANCELS YOU CAN COLLECT

uploaded/hal/20171014_Prex075.jpg[/img

THE AD

AND THE DIRECT MAIL RESPONSE COVER...

THE APS DID PRE-CANCEL MAILINGS TO MEMBERS

AS WELL AS STAMP DEALERS
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1043 Posts
Posted 10/15/2017   12:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
re: 11 cent rate, insured ... It lacks the "Minimum fee" handstamp because it is not minimum fee. I think it is single rate 3rd class (1.5 cents) + 10 cents for 5.01-25.00 insurance coverage = 11.5, exactly paid.

Yes, Thank you for the correction. This is an old page written-up awhile ago. I am pulling it to avoid any confusion. THANKS!!

Quote:
Yes, I am aware of Dave Phillips an his publications, etc. Did he ever put shortage thoughts into writing somewhere? Bottom line, I just don't see much evidence of stamp shortages except in dire emergency situations - floods, fires, etc.

I have had many discussions with Dave on this subject over the years -- every time I acquired a new cover with a stamp (always a Prexie) used in lieu of a Postage Due. The write-up came from him. What else can I say. This is the only non-Prexie Postage Due application. I posted it as it came from Linn's, of all places.

Thanks again!
Hal
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1043 Posts
Posted 10/15/2017   01:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
1C PRECANCEL WITH RETURN 1½¢ GUARANTEE ENDORSEMENT FEE

1c POST CARD SHOWING COLLECTION OF DOUBLE INTERNATIONAL RATE

1C PAQUEBOT USAGE - WRITER DETAILS HORRORS OF THE HOLOCAUST IN 1939!

AAMS MAILING

I WONDER IF SENDER EVER KNEW HE PAID TELEGRAPH RATES FOR
A TELEGRAM THAT WAS DELIVERED BY THE POST OFFICE ?!?

HOTEL COVERS ARE COLLECTIBLE

WWII PATRIOTIC COVERS ARE GREAT...

FINDING GUTTER SNIPES ON COVER ARE FUN...

FINDING LINE PAIRS ARE FUN TOO...

UNDERSTANDING THE 'WHY' IS BETTER

SLOGAN CANCELS ARE AN INTERESTING AREA TO SPECIALIZE IN

RPOs (RAILWAY POST OFFICES) & RMS (RAILWAY MAIL SERVICE) CANCELATIONS
ARE AN COLLECTING AREA BY THEMSELVES

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1043 Posts
Posted 10/15/2017   02:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
3C PAQUEOT RATE & MARKINGS

OVERSIZED POST CARD WERE CHARGED 1ST CLASS RATE

WWII MAIL SEIZURE & RETURN - THIS WAS A MONTH BEFORE PEARL HARBOR. THIS MAIL WAS PROBABLY TURNED IN TRANSIT AT PEARL HARBOR, AFTER DECEMBER 7, 1941! OR HAD LEFT HAWAII AND NEVER REACHING THE PHILIPPINES.

DEMONSTRATES 3c SURFACE RATE BETWEEN A TERRITORY & THE MAINLAND
SAMOA & PUERTO RICO

BEFORE THE BODY BAGS OF TODAY

GOOD EXCUSE FOR MAIL DELAY

SCOTCH TAPE ON STAMPS IS NEVER APPRECIATED...

THE POINTING FINGER...

3C RATE- (1½¢ PER 2OZ) THIRD-CLASS, SINGLE-PIECE RATE, W/PRE-CANCEL USAGE

Please, I NEED YOUR HELP. I have two (2) cards with the exact same red boxed 'RELEASED BY CENSOR" HANDSTAMP cancelled on 8/25 and 9/5; both cards addressed to Germany.
I have seen them no where else. The marking does not appear in, "CIVIL CENSORSHIP IN THE UNITED STATES DURING WAORLD WAR II", by Broderick & Mayo.

I believe these were interim U.S. CIVIL CENSORSHIP MARKINGS USED UNDER F.D.R.'S INITIAL DECLARATION OF EMERGENCY, used between AUGUST 15-20, 1939 and ceased by CONGRESS on or about SEPTEMBER 20, 1939. They are not British Markings. I have shown these to Bob Hohertz, who I consider the "Dean" of Prexies, and he has never seen the markings before. They appear to be a new discovery.

Does anyone in the SCF Family know ANYTHING about this handstamp. Thank you in advance for your assistance.
Hal

VERY EARLY USAGE - BRITISH TOMBSTONE CENSOR MARK

1944 -WWII US CENSOR MARK 1944

3C INTERNATIONAL TREATY RATE TO P.U.A.S. TREATY RATE COUNTRIES
(PUAS = Postal Union of the Americas and Spain - Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, El Salvador, Spain (including the Balearic Islands, Canary Islands, Alhucemas Islands, Ceuta, Chaferinas or Zafarani Islands, Mellila, Penon de Velez de la Gomera, Tangier, and Andorra via Spain), Uruguay and Venezuela.)

PAIR OF CANAL ZONE OVERPRINT USAGE (SC# CZ119) - 1ST CLASS LETTER RATE Domestic Use

3½¢ - 3RD CLASS ODD SIZE & NON-STANDARD SIZE MAILING PIECE

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1043 Posts
Posted 10/15/2017   03:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
4c (2c per Oz) FIRST CLASS LETTER RATE, LOCAL, NON-CARRIER LETTER

4C AIRMAIL POST CARD

4½¢ THIRD CLASS, BULK MAIL , PRINTED MATTER RATE

WWII - EUROPEAN INTERNMENT CAMPS

WWII INT'L SURFACE MAIL - THE HUSBAND SURVIVED THE NAZI'S IN FRANCE -->
WHILE THE WIFE DIED AT AUSCHWITZ

THIS COVER WAS CENSORED FOR THE U.S. BY THE BRITISH IN BERMUDA

THIS COVER WAS CENSORED FOR THE U.S. BY THE FRENCH

COVERS ARE A GOOD WAY TO LOCATE LOST RELATIVES - I FOUND MY UNCLE'S BUSINESS COVER IN ITALY! MY UNCLE WAS A MULTI-MILLIONAIRE, HOMES ON PARK AVENUE IN NEW YORK AND MIAMI BEACH, FL., HE LOST EVER NICKEL ON THE HORSES AND DIED WITHOUT CENT TO HIS NAME. BUT I STILL LOVE HIM~!

CORRECT PENALTY MAIL ENDORSEMENT OVER-WRITTEN /RE-VOKED BY PLACEMENT OF POSTAGE OF PENALTY INDICIA; COVER AT 5C INTERNATIONAL SURFACE RATE. PENALTY ENDORSEMENT ONLY COVERS SINGLE-WEIGHT, DOMESTIC POSTAGE WEIGHT (3C) AND IS VOID FOR INTERNATIONAL MAIL. INDICIA MUST BE COVERED, AS SHOW.

5C INTERNATIONAL SURFACE RATE, AUSTRALIA - WWII CENSOR TAPE & MARKINGS

5C INTERNATIONAL SURFACE RATE, ITALY - WWII DUAL CENSOR TAPES & MARKINGS

5C INTERNATIONAL SURFACE RATE, CURACAU - WWII DUAL CENSOR TAPES & MARKINGS

WWII BANANA RIVER NAVAL AIR STATION - WANNA GUESS WHAT THAT IS PART OF TODAY?!?!?

I may have shown before THIS IS A
RARE VICHY FRANCE 'MAIL MAY BE RE-ROUTED-ZONE OCCIPIED COUPLED
WITH RED-VIOLET U.C RETURN TO SENDER SERVICE SUSPENDED!

THIS HAS A MACHINE CANCEL "RETURN TO SENDER/SERVICE SUSPENDED-3 DIFFERENT VERSIONS

ADDRESS SURROUNDED WITH POSTAGE

6C DOUBLE RATE 1ST CLASS POSTAGE

6C DOUBLE SURFACE RATE AD BANK COVER

6½¢ RATE: 1½¢ <8oz>.- 3RD CLASS, SINGLE PC.,MDSE THIRD CLASS RATE +
5¢ INSURANCE SURVICE = 6½¢**
* (WHICH IS LIKE THE OTHER COVER FROM NEW YORK. THAT MUST HAVE GONE 3RD CLASS NOT 4TH CLASS, AS YOU DETERMINED.)
Edited by Hal - 10/15/2017 3:32 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1043 Posts
Posted 10/15/2017   03:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
KEEPING IN THE SAME TRACK:
1½¢ THIRD CLASS SINGLE PIECE Matter + 5c Insurance

1½¢ THIRD CLASS SINGLE PIECE Matter + 5c Insurance; OVERPAID BY ½¢
Clark(son) Stevens was a traveling salesman and very active in the US Postal Stationary Society.

8c DOUBLE WEIGHT - DOMESTIC LETTER - FROM THE LATE BILL BOGGS

ANOTHER SPLIT AIR USAGE - THIS TIME GROUND IN US TO EUROPE // AIR IN EUROPE TO FINAL DESTINATION! (this was much scarcer than AIR USA/GROUND EUROPE)

More tomorrow… good night.
Valued Member
United States
496 Posts
Posted 10/15/2017   06:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moyock13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hal, thanks for the reply and explanation. I was curious what the term "killer" meant, guess I wasn't specific. After several attempts to google "what is a killer stamp cancellation classification" and getting descriptions of serial killers, I stumbled across the FSU KILLING THE POSTAGE STAMP: POSTMARK CANCELLATIONS, http://fsucardarchive.org/exhibits/...s/killerbars page.

Site says, "Killer bars: cancellations commonly found in postal history that do not contain words or images, but simply use bars to "kill" the stamp".

Wikipedia says, "The portion of a cancellation that is designed to deface the stamp and does not contain writing is also called the "obliteration" or killer."

Interesting! Thanks.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2680 Posts
Posted 10/15/2017   07:30 am  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice presentation Hal! I've always like the variations of Prexie covers.

I recognize that CCC cover too.
Pillar Of The Community
1322 Posts
Posted 10/15/2017   07:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blcjr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Prior issues notwithstanding, this is great stuff, Hal. Very informative. So I think you can help me try to understand the rate usage on this:

The airmail stamp is C25a, which was valid for civilian airmail (1/2 oz first class) from date of issue March 18, 1943 to March 21, 1944. No cancellation date on the stamp, but the handwritten notation reads 12/24 so I would assume 12/24/43. So how would you interpret the usage of the 22 cent stamp. Registered mail was 15 cents for $50 value or less, and 20 cents for over $50 to $100. Is it overpaid, or can it be explained with a supplemental surcharge for value over $100?

TIA.

Basil

Pillar Of The Community
2404 Posts
Posted 10/15/2017   11:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Basil, I would go with Dec 1944 or 1945, thus 8 cents airmail, 20 cents registry fee.
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05