Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Found Stamp In Old Japanese Book. Please Help To Identify

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
4 Posts
Posted 10/19/2017   5:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Mikeystamp to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
[URL="http://uploads.im/lYVMW.jpg][/url]

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

United States
4 Posts
Posted 10/19/2017   5:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mikeystamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is on a manilla type woven paper

[URL="http://uploads.im/6nZ8X.jpg][/url]
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
United States
4 Posts
Posted 10/19/2017   5:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mikeystamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a close up in with a lamp behind it

[URL="http://uploads.im/xn26j.jpg][/url]
United States
4 Posts
Posted 10/19/2017   5:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mikeystamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It seems to be cut from a sheet seeing that a red stamp continued over to the side of this one
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2174 Posts
Posted 10/19/2017   7:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This looks more like a Signature Seal.They come in thousands of forms.What is the book?
Valued Member
Japan
234 Posts
Posted 10/20/2017   08:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add unechan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

This is very likely to be the chop of the publisher of the book, showing the copyright ownership.

Japanese books used to have colophon at the very end of the book. This is called "Oku-zu-ke", and the copyright was controlled by either directly applying the chop to that page or sticking a small piece of paper with the chop of the copyright owner.

Here is an example of such usage from my bookshelf; a textbook on mathematics (elementary number theory) by Dr. Teiji Takagi, a world renowned mathematician, with a chop "Taka-Gi" on a piece of paper, with inscriptions mentioning "Copyright Owner" on the top and the name of the publisher, Kyoritsu Shuppan Co., Ltd., at the bottom.

It is often very hard to decipher the characters on chops because they often use deformed fonts. As for the one shown by Mikeystamp, I guess the first character is "Nichi, the last is "Doh", and the middle is a mystery...

- Hironobu
Edited by unechan - 10/20/2017 08:48 am
Learn More...
7084 Posts
Posted 10/20/2017   09:05 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hironobu,
Thank you very much for your help and input.
Don
Valued Member
Japan
234 Posts
Posted 10/24/2017   7:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add unechan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don,

My pleasure.
I would call these seals as a "true" back-of-book item :-)
Valued Member
144 Posts
Posted 10/26/2017   3:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add agb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

Just noticed this question, I have a book which has at the back what I consider to be a revenue stamp? I have tried searching the web for such a stamp, unfortunately I could not locate one.

Andrew
Edited by agb - 10/26/2017 3:38 pm
Valued Member
Japan
234 Posts
Posted 10/26/2017   8:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add unechan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Andrew, your example is the company chop seal of the publisher, Sho-Bun-Kan. This is more of a same kind of seal originally posted by Mikeystamp. It is a private company seal so no womder you cannot find them when you search for revenues. The whole page is an excellent example of "Oku-Zu-Ke", the back-of-book colophon.

By the way, the book is entitled "Hi-bi No Cha-Mi", and I suspect it is about the traditional tea ceremony and daily lifestlye and habits where the philosophy of the tea ceremony could be applied (... an example of philosophical Japanese way of thinking)

(image rorated 180 degrees)

- Hironobu

(edited for typos)
Edited by unechan - 10/27/2017 12:58 am
Valued Member
144 Posts
Posted 10/27/2017   02:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add agb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Hironobu

Oh dear. I must be more careful when adding scans to my postings to try and make sure that they are in the correct position and readable

Thank you for correcting the position of the scan and your valued input as to the identity of the mentioned stamp, chop mark and the book title etc.

Andrew
Edited by agb - 10/27/2017 04:00 am
Valued Member
144 Posts
Posted 08/20/2019   1:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add agb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

Help sought in translating the inside back page of a book which I think relates to archery and the stamp with the chop mark in the centre.

Thanks
Andrew
Valued Member
144 Posts
Posted 08/24/2019   08:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add agb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just located a further three books which also have the above 'publishers' stamp with their logo?

Any ideas to the publisher name? I can now show a perforated stamp as well.

If any readers of this thread could help with the translation of the front covers it would be a great help. Are they children's story books or general books on archery?

Not sure if I will be collecting these alongside my revenue stamps. The problem arises in finding such items in the first place.

Your comments most welcomed

Thanks for looking
Andrew
Edited by agb - 08/24/2019 1:20 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.8 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05