Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

H.e. Harris Crystal Mounts

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 47 / Views: 4,956Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2854 Posts
Posted 04/28/2020   06:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My first real album was a Harris Liberty with stamps proudly mounted using Crystal Mounts. My purchases were through a local dealer who sold stamps at the Harris catalog price.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Al
Edited by angore - 04/28/2020 06:38 am
Valued Member
Canada
74 Posts
Posted 04/28/2020   10:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PMStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Regarding the suggestions made about my earlier post of the brown stains caused by the Crystal Mount glue and the tapes used by my dad to close the sides of the mount, I have tried various chemicals. For used stamps, a soaking in very hot water removes the translucence of the brown stain and creates a shiny residue on the top of the stain that can easily be scrapped off with a fingernail. In some cases the brown stain almost disappears.

For mint stamps, that is obviously not a solution unless you don't mind making them unused with no gum. So, I have tried various different chemicals in a sealed jar overnight. Lighter fluid has no effect. The same with Goo Gone, paint thinner and mineral spirits. Acetone has the biggest effect. I have had some stamps where the brown stain has all but disappeared to the point where I cannot even tell which side it was on. However, I have also had some stamps where the acetone has removed most of the colour of the stamp. So unless it is a relatively expensive stamp or one that is missing out of my own collection, the majority are going into the trash along with the Crystal Mounts that ended up as the source of the damage.
Valued Member
Learn More...
398 Posts
Posted 08/03/2020   9:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StateRevs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Was going through the bottom shelf of my supply cabinet and realized I had a few small cardboard boxes I didn't recognize.

Opened them up to discover I still had virgin unopened Crystal Mount packages; 30+ packages of the stupid things. They were part of a large collection I traded for many years ago. I had already thrown away scads of these things a few years ago when I found them. Maybe they reproduce?

I started pulling them out to throw away when I encountered several packages of Westvaco PermaGuard mounts. They look to be basically identical to Crystal Mounts.

Different company address but look equally horrible.

First I have heard of them.

Any horror stories with these? I think WestVaco also made glassines, manila stock cards, and other stamp supplies.

But hey, they are archival!

Edited by StateRevs - 08/03/2020 10:05 pm
Valued Member
460 Posts
Posted 08/04/2020   01:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamps101 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a ton of different mounts and never seen those ones. I wonder how they hold up.

If you still have your packages or crystal mounts and don't want them, I'd gladly take them. I use them for common stamps issues when I build pages with stamps I'm looking for errors on. Easier to just keep a copy of the common issues all on a page so I know which issues I'm paying attention to. Let me know if you have em still!
Valued Member
Learn More...
398 Posts
Posted 08/04/2020   09:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StateRevs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If you still have your packages or crystal mounts and don't want them, I'd gladly take them

Do you really want Crystal Mounts?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7016 Posts
Posted 08/04/2020   09:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Crystal Mounts are horrible things. Destructive, horrible things. The Pod People of philately.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4661 Posts
Posted 08/04/2020   10:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In some cases there are other uses for things that don't do their jobs.

In this case, "starting over"/recycling might be the best use.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4181 Posts
Posted 08/04/2020   10:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Extinction now.
Learn More...
8499 Posts
Posted 08/04/2020   10:25 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Crystal mounts and modern hinges are the scourge of the hobby; collections that use these are typically worth a fraction of collections which use quality hinges and/or mounts. Soaking modern hinges off (assuming the stamp has been thinned by someone yanking one off) or cutting stamps from Crystal mounts (assuming that the stamps aren't already yellowed or ruined) sucks a huge amount of time; often more than the stamp is worth. Stamp Lives Matter.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5109 Posts
Posted 08/04/2020   11:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is, of course, no corroborative evidence that "collections that use [modern hinges] are typically worth a fraction of collections which use quality hinges" beyond your opinion. As I've noted before, I've yet to see an auction lot make reference to the vintage hinges used within a collection. As of today, there are no vintage hinges - whether by Gibbons, Rapkin or others - available on ebayuk. One could have a long wait to put away ones stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7016 Posts
Posted 08/04/2020   11:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I can remember 40 or 50 years ago when auction references to old time pre-1900 era hinges were made when applicable; sometimes even pre-1920 era.
Learn More...
8499 Posts
Posted 08/04/2020   12:10 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...There is, of course, no corroborative evidence that "collections that use [modern hinges] are...

Agreed. My opinion is being influenced by my recent purchases of 2 large collections of 25+ albums each which I paid less than $200. Decades of collecting for two hobbyists boiled down to a few hundred dollars. $10 per worldwide album of modern hinge/Crystal mount stamps is about the right market value.

Folks who purchase large world-wide collections only to find the majority of stamps ruined or the need to invest 100+ extra hours to make the stamps usable typically only make that mistake once.

But you are correct, there are sellers who do not describe the mounting scheme and there are people who will foolishly buy collections without understanding how it is mounted.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
553 Posts
Posted 08/04/2020   12:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Seriously, "Stamp Lives Matter"? Hardly and in poor taste to boot.
Learn More...
8499 Posts
Posted 08/04/2020   12:53 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The context was that bad hinges and Crystal mounts are killing stamps, how is that 'poor taste'?
Don
Valued Member
460 Posts
Posted 08/04/2020   12:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamps101 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Staterevs, yes if you have them I can definitely make use of them. I save my Showgard mounts for my actual collection but found use for the less desirable ones rather than tossing the ones I had as well. If you're able to email me on here I can discuss further to cover your shipping cost if it's not too much work. If it's a hassle, all good! Just thought I'd throw it out there in case you had quite a few.
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 47 / Views: 4,956Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.44 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05