Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Bermuda Stamps : On Album Pages.

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 72 / Views: 13,003Next Topic
Page: of 5
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32170 Posts
Posted 10/25/2017   6:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rod222 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Beginner's collection : Lots of voids.

Steiner Page 5.

Send note to Staff
Edited by rod222 - 10/26/2017 01:12 am

Pillar Of The Community
Norway
1661 Posts
Posted 10/25/2017   7:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Blaamand to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod - nice page and stamps, as always!
Lots of voids? Thank heavens for that, it would be kind of sad if all the voids are already filled, wouldn't it?
I sometimes find it a bit sentimental when I 'complete' a page, knowing there will be no more fun chasing the missing ones and the pleasure of filling the empty spaces is already gone.....
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
935 Posts
Posted 10/25/2017   8:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spain_1850 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Even when all the spaces are filled, there is always the process of upgrading. For me the search never ends, because I am always on the search for possible upgrades like nicer centering, better color, a nicer cancellation, etc..
I am not sure I would classify this as a beginners collection at all, maybe an advanced beginners selection.
Pillar Of The Community
Norway
1661 Posts
Posted 10/25/2017   8:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Blaamand to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
spain1850 - yeah, I absolutely agree with you - any page is in a never-ending process of replacing with better copies! (That's some of my reasoning for not using hinges, easy to pull out stamps to compare with potentially better alternatives). Regardless of the improvement in quality - an empty hole is only empty until it is filled the first time - and the same for a completed series or a completed page - that was the point I was trying to make.

e.g. - I just made a simplified collection of classic France, and realized that I now have this 1853 serie 'completed' (simplified, not if including varieties!).

The realisation the series is completed did give me some satisfaction - but at the same time a kind of sadness that I will never complete that same iconic series again! Did that make any sense?
(As you say, the hunt for improvements will continue off course )

btw - Rod - my apologies for taking your thread completely off its original track ...and even soiling the Bermuda topic with the French! I am offshore so I have no completed series from Bermuda available here to make my point about the voids...)

Edited by Blaamand - 10/25/2017 8:57 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32170 Posts
Posted 10/25/2017   11:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
btw - Rod - my apologies for taking your thread completely off its original track ...and even soiling the Bermuda topic with the French! I am offshore so I have no completed series from Bermuda available here to make my point about the voids...)

Think nothing of it Jon.
In making a point, you employ scans beyond the topic, that's fine !
You make an interesting point, alas! I feel quite the opposite, when I finish a page (esp. a hard /difficult one, I am elated, full pages are a work of art)

Your French page is wonderful, well done you.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32170 Posts
Posted 10/26/2017   12:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

All Steiner Pages by Author : Mr. Bob Bland.

Steiner Page 18.

Steiner Page 1.

Steiner Page 9.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32170 Posts
Posted 10/26/2017   01:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Steiner Page 8.

Pillar Of The Community
Norway
1661 Posts
Posted 10/26/2017   05:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Blaamand to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bermuda has some very nice stamps - thanks for showing them!
Do you bother about the various watermark positions?

Quote:

when I finish a page (esp. a hard /difficult one, I am elated, full pages are a work of art)

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32170 Posts
Posted 10/26/2017   06:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Do you bother about the various watermark positions?

Hi Jon,
thanks for your kind words.

not really, I am a worldwide collector, time does not allow.

However,
In my Major Collections, Romania and Turkey, I'll scour every little detail.

The smaller collections are a rest from that.

Pillar Of The Community
Norway
1661 Posts
Posted 10/26/2017   09:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Blaamand to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good point Rod. As you know I'm also a WW collector, so I could probably benefit by learning from what you say about time - and limit myself a bit more...

I seem to remember that the last time I was working on Bermuda and Bahamas, an un-proportional large amount of time was used solely for trying to work out the different watermarks and watermark positions on the modern definitives. Unlike the older commonwealth stamps, I find it more challenging to see the different watermarks clearly on the modern stamps/paper. Maybe it is not only me?
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32170 Posts
Posted 10/26/2017   7:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Hi Jon,
I have a few pages left, before my Bermuda is completed, as to the stamps I have.

I'll send you off my duplicates, as a return gesture for the Austrians you sent me.

Quote:
I find it more challenging to see the different watermarks clearly on the modern stamps/paper. Maybe it is not only me?

It can be very rewarding in some cases. That is where Stanley Gibbons comes to the fore, Unusual Wmk Orientations can be very valuable.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32170 Posts
Posted 10/26/2017   8:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Steiner Page 7.

Steiner Page 8.

Steiner Page 3.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32170 Posts
Posted 10/26/2017   8:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Winslow Homer : Artist.

Curiously, wiki fails to mention anything about Bermuda, we shall address that here.

wiki

United States
Sc#1207 1962

Sc#3236J 1998

Bermuda
Steiner Page 8.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32170 Posts
Posted 10/27/2017   12:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sc# 87 and #87a Caravelle. (Wmk Crown and Script CA, Sc type 4 )

Type l and Type ll
In my Type l , (Thick ) It also appears if there is no shading inside the frame, I believe this just fading or caused by over soaking.

Edited by rod222 - 10/27/2017 12:20 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32170 Posts
Posted 10/27/2017   01:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Sc# 83 Type ll and Type lll
(Shape / size of currency "1d" changes)

Pillar Of The Community
Norway
1661 Posts
Posted 10/27/2017   06:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Blaamand to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'll send you off my duplicates

Wow, that's so kind of you. Please note my Bermuda collection is well filled from KGVI until about mid 80's, so guess you can save your dups from that period - but any stamp with a useful postmark is always most welcome regardless! Much appreciated
Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 72 / Views: 13,003Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05