Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

2018 USPS Issues... News? Thoughts? Opinions?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 34 / Views: 8,752Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
United States
788 Posts
Posted 10/28/2017   08:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add acanalizo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I would assume and hope the USPS will issue a stamp on the 300th anniversary of the founding of New Orleans which was founded in 1718 by the French as Nouvelle-Orléans, under the direction of Jean-Baptiste Le Moyne de Bienville.

Send note to Staff
Albert

Valued Member
United States
203 Posts
Posted 10/28/2017   11:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ggreve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It should be interesting. I am surprised that there is not more information in the news yet. In past years the USPS has put out more a preview website (beyondtheperf.com). That website has moved to https://www.usps.com/stamps/, but there is not 2018 stamps listed yet.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1189 Posts
Posted 11/19/2017   6:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampman2002 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
While New Orleans would be nice, I really hope the USPS doesn't miss the end of World War I. I haven't heard or read anything on that yet....
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
506 Posts
Posted 11/19/2017   6:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Assuming the new postal rates are approved by the PRC, there will definitely be a new 35¢ postcard stamp.

There has been no mention of it yet, but I would suspect that Priority Mail and PM Express rates will also go up during 2018. Those increases usually come in the Spring.

Lest we forget, they still have the new CA Dogface Butterfly stamp that was announced but not issued this year. If the non-machineable rate also goes up, they already have the stamp ready.
Edited by uboatnut - 11/19/2017 6:41 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
788 Posts
Posted 12/03/2017   07:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add acanalizo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe if we ask our Senators and Reps to support Rep. Emanuel Cleaver's call(in June 2017) for the USPS to issue stamps in 2017, 2018 and 2019 commemorating our Country's involvement in World War I
it may help but it looks like it will not be in 2017.
Albert
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1189 Posts
Posted 12/03/2017   7:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampman2002 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
2018 and 2019 would be the years something should be issued for WWI. We were just getting geared up for it in 1917, so while Europe was three years into it, we still weren't.
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
Posted 12/03/2017   9:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Filechaser to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It would be a travesty if nothing was issued to commemorate 1100 hours on 11/11/18. Undoubtedly the UK and Canada, where Remembrance Day is actually observed as a solemn occasion, will issue something. I would hope to see the same from the USPS, but I fear that it will be an overpriced souvenir sheet or something similar. After all, here in the U.S. although there are some parades and political photo ops, the day has largely degraded into an excuse for sales at Discount Mattress Warehouse and perhaps a paid day off for those fortunate enough not to be working in retail sales.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
788 Posts
Posted 12/20/2017   5:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add acanalizo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
USPS announces issue dates and places of 1q 2018 stamps

Celebrating Lunar New Year: Year of the Dog 1/11 Honolulu HI
Love Flourishes 1/18 Phoenix AZ
2¢ Meyer Lemons 1/19 Kenner LA (Part of Greater New Orleans)
Sleeping Bear Dunes 1/21 Kansas City MO
Byodo-In Temple 1/21 Kansas City MO
Black Heritage: Lena Horne 1/30 New York NY
US Flag 2/9 Fort Lauderdale FL
Bioluminescent Life 2/22 Fort Pierce FL
Illinois Statehood 3/5 Springfield IL
Mister Rogers 3/23 Pittsburgh PA
Albert
Pillar Of The Community
United States
788 Posts
Posted 12/22/2017   11:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add acanalizo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"On January 19, 2018, in Kenner, LA, the U.S. Postal Service® will issue the 2-cent denominated Meyer Lemons stamp."

I don't understand the reason this stamp will be issued in Kenner, LA. Originally Kenner was build on land consisting of three plantation properties and a lot of swamp - there is no history that I am aware of growing Meyer Lemons. Also, Meyer Lemons are citrus fruit native to China- thought to be a cross between a true lemon and either a mandarin or common orange. Frank Meyer, a plant explorer, brought them from Beijing to the US Department of Agriculture in 1908. When commercially grown in the US in early 40's it was discovered that a majority of the Meyer lemon trees being cloned were symptomless carriers of the Citrus tristeza virus, a virus which had killed millions of citrus trees all over the world and rendered other millions useless for production. After this finding, most of the Meyer lemon trees in the United States were destroyed to save other citrus trees. A virus-free selection was found in the 1950s by Don Dillon of the California company Four Winds Growers, and was later certified and released in 1975 by the University of California as the 'Improved Meyer lemon'. It is a great tasting lemon, a great container plant, and now, a nice looking stamp though. [:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DooPww-e8Xk
Albert
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1517 Posts
Posted 12/22/2017   12:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The USPS regularly holds first day ceremonies at stamp shows, and this one is in Kenner in conjunction with the Winter Stamp Fest & Postcard Show of the Crescent City Stamp Club.

http://ccscno.org/stamp-shows/
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2850 Posts
Posted 03/26/2018   3:19 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Picked up 3 sheets of the Mister Rogers stamps today. One for me to keep, one to use, and one for my brother who has always been a fan. The lady at the post office felt that they will sell well. We shall see!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1189 Posts
Posted 03/26/2018   5:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampman2002 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nells, nice! You're ahead of me on this issue. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to grab a sheet or two in the next few days.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1624 Posts
Posted 03/26/2018   6:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sdtom to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My sheets arrived in the mail today. Nice stamp
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1925 Posts
Posted 03/26/2018   8:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, Most of the USA stamps of today are lacking. And there are way too many of them.

Jack Kelley
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1624 Posts
Posted 03/27/2018   08:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sdtom to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I make first day covers with them , save a block and use the rest for postage.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2850 Posts
Posted 04/19/2018   12:49 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Can't find any of the Bioluminescent Life stamps anywhere, may need to order direct.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 34 / Views: 8,752Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05