Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

2018 USPS Issues... News? Thoughts? Opinions?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 34 / Views: 8,738Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
United States
788 Posts
Posted 08/03/2018   5:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add acanalizo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
With this continual issuing stamps that a full pane must be purchased (no singles) by USPS (other countries as well) I am coming close to stopping my US National collection future(modern) issues after 65 yrs. of collecting, loosing most of it during Katrina and beginning again after. Come on, - John Lennon, one stamp, five colors! It is costing way too much each year to keep up to date with not much to show. Years ago, the US post office took pride in their issues, or at least the collector had pride in owning the stamps. Now, most are mere expensive labels.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Albert
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3150 Posts
Posted 08/03/2018   6:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They definitely are not making them easy to collect. It started with self-adhesives forcing you to buy full panes and subject matter that is more pop culture.

If they were available in smaller quantities, the total cost would be quite reasonable for anyone. Part of the issue is the aspect of mounting. Now, a modern collection will have numerous full page sheets and stamp mounts add additional cost.

Al
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1245 Posts
Posted 08/03/2018   8:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I find myself in agreement with acanalizo. There are many on this forum who have stopped collecting modern US stamps in recent years. There is an excellent chance that I will join their ranks at the end of this year, partly due to the plethora of different stamps being issued & partly due to my age. One must stop at some point, either by choice or by act of nature.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
505 Posts
Posted 08/03/2018   9:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I never started collecting booklets and gave up collecting US commemorative stampss when the self-adhesive craze began. I also don't like most of the designs, nor do I think there is any valid reason to put out so many different designs of the same face value.

I still collect the definitives, especially the high-dollar value items like Priority Mail and PM Express issues. That way, my heirs won't face ungodly high costs to fill in those spaces later.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1192 Posts
Posted 08/03/2018   11:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My U.S. collection stops at 2005. Any U.S stamps in my collection after that are either panes or booklets that interest me topically. This year I think John Lennon will be the only one; I'll also buy at least two additional panes for postage. I still need to get a pane of last year's Disney Villains, too; I'll order that at the same time.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
647 Posts
Posted 08/07/2018   8:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DJCMHOH to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Speaking of limited issues, read in Linn's about the limited Souvenir Sheet of 3 of the Art of Magic stamps printed on lenticular paper to give the 3D illusion of a Disappearing Rabbit from a Hat. Only available via order from the Cave in KC. Hoping since it was released today along with the regular pane of 20 non-3D stamps that maybe the PO will have some at Stampshow this weekend here in Columbus. Fingers Crossed.
APS #173088
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2724 Posts
Posted 08/16/2018   12:41 am  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I heard they did have some at the show, sold out, were trying to get more, not sure if they did
Valued Member
United States
97 Posts
Posted 08/16/2018   1:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add msfong to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Year 2018 is the 80th Anniversary of Superman. USPS has issued some DC Superheroes stamps (Batman, Wonder Woman) for the past couple of years. I am hoping they will release Superman stamps this year.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3150 Posts
Posted 08/17/2018   06:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think one superman stamp would be ok but not another sheet of different designs.
Al
Valued Member
United States
21 Posts
Posted 10/01/2018   8:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Lefty to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
2018 Madonna & Child - Christmas
Banknote Plate Number B11111
Micro-Print USPS on baby's knee.

Valued Member
United States
21 Posts
Posted 10/25/2018   11:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Lefty to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A Source for Plate Blocks, so you do not have to buy 20.

Postmaster 1104 Plainfield Pike ONECO CT 06373-9998.

Be Specific in your order, such as Plate-Block of 4 with plate number & selvage. ( PB#-4 ) or Top/Bottom 8 ( or 10 ) stamps from a pane of 20, with selvage and plate number(s). If he Can, he Will split a pane. On Coils of 3K/10K, he will sell you a plate-number strip. He can't do this on smaller coils. ( 100 )

No Internet, No Plastic. Mail him your inquiries, or orders with Check-M/O. No S/H fee, sent to you via Priority Mail, with a postage-paid envelope for your next order.

He keeps an inventory, and will mail you a copy on request. ( post card )

I hope this helps.

Valued Member
United States
21 Posts
Posted 10/29/2018   6:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Lefty to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fortunately, USPS Has Forever versions of First Class First Ounce, Two Ounce, Three Ounce, Additional Ounce, and Postcard stamps. In 2018
it paid to use these. 2019 says maybe an increase on the First Ounce, but additional, and therefore 2nd & 3rd, ounce stamps will Decrease.
( additional down from 21 to 15 cents ) Parcels will now be ZONED, similar to Priority.
So if you have plans to buy additional ounce stamps, wait until After 28 JAN 2019.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2848 Posts
Posted 11/21/2018   4:51 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As wasteful as it is, I like the Coca Cola Santa sheet! Always liked the quality of the Coke Santa artwork, but it is also nice to be able to get something a little different that only costs .50. I already used one on an eBay package!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7657 Posts
Posted 11/28/2018   9:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nells, I like the "Coke Santas" as well, but found out not to ask for them by that name. The foolish clerk almost refused to sell them to me!
By the way, our post office does not have the international Christmas stamps yet, but I found them at a very small post office close by. They are very attractive as well.

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1245 Posts
Posted 11/28/2018   10:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The foolish clerk almost refused to sell them to me!

Obviously, the clerk is a Pepsi fanatic.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 34 / Views: 8,738Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.21 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05