Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Can Someone Help Me Indentify And Give Info About Following Precancels

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 1,634Next Topic  
Valued Member

Belgium
71 Posts
Posted 11/01/2017   2:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add vincentvriends to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Can someone please helpme indentify following precancels and maybe give a little info about why they were used and for which purpose?
(Image quality could be beter but I had to take the images with me phone because my scanner has some issues)

I think this one says: CHURCH S STATIC

This one says: PROVIDENCE RHONE ISLAND

This one says:BUFFALO N.Y. (ore something like that)

This is: NEW YORK N.Y.

It says: BUILD YOUR FUTURE WISELY SAFETY U.S. SAVINGS BONDS

I think: ELMHURS ILL.

FIGHT TB SUPPORT YOUR TB ASSOSIATION

It says: O.B. COMMONWEALTH

It's a part of the print I think: WAR BONDS

It looks like something is writen/stamped on it: 1B ?? afd G4

Thanks for your help
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
8172 Posts
Posted 11/01/2017   2:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some of these are not precancels. The one that has something written on it is a revenue stamp. The OB commonwealth is an overprint on a Phillipines stamp. The ones that say "Church street"<, "Build your future etc...", "Fight TB" and "War Bonds" are regular cancels.
The others are indeed precancels - what information are you looking for?

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Belgium
71 Posts
Posted 11/01/2017   2:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vincentvriends to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for clarifying that Peter. Do you maybe know what those revenue stamps where used for?
And I'm looking for info about when they where used (which years), why they used them (I suspect they are a replacement for perfins) and if the government printed those cancels or if they are company specific in some way?
Pillar Of The Community
4588 Posts
Posted 11/01/2017   3:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Vincent,
Since a picture is better than words: Here are complete examples of the station or slogan machine cancels for 4 of your stamps on normal mail.

The Elmhurst Illinois cancel is not a precancel, but a parcel post cancel applied after the stamp was affixed to the mail piece.(Note the vertical bar to the left end of the town name.)

The revenue stamp at the bottom was issued in the 1860s during the US civil war. The 2 cent stamp saw vast use on checks, which received a pen cancel by the user. Yours is typical.

I will leave the precancels to the precancel experts.

None of the stamps you show have any affiliation to perfins.
Edited by John Becker - 11/01/2017 3:09 pm
Valued Member
Belgium
71 Posts
Posted 11/01/2017   3:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vincentvriends to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info John.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2486 Posts
Posted 11/01/2017   4:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chasa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The blue revenue stamp was used to raise money to pay off US civil war debts. Every (every!) check written in those years had to have a government tax stamp (revenue) that was denominated based on the amount of the check. The 2-cent 'Bank Check" stamp you posted was for small checks. Is there any surprise that after over 150 years - this is probably the most worthless civil war artifact extant?
Valued Member
Belgium
71 Posts
Posted 11/01/2017   5:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vincentvriends to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the clarification about the blue stamp with the writing
Pillar Of The Community
Guatemala
1500 Posts
Posted 11/02/2017   5:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add quigngt to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For good accurate information about US precancel stamps here is a good website with lots of information. http://www.precancels.com/
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 1,634Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05