Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Visiting The APS Headquarters?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 2,632Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
750 Posts
Posted 11/02/2017   6:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add chris2015 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm a 23-year member of the APS, but have never visited Headquarters. Just so happens that I will be traveling to Penn State University (State College, PA) for work on Monday. I would have a couple of free hours Monday afternoon and thought about going over to APS for a visit.

Is a visit to APS Headquarters worth it? Are there things to see and do there? I assume it is not a far drive from the university?

Any thoughts or personal experiences welcome.

Chris
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4414 Posts
Posted 11/02/2017   7:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5373 Posts
Posted 11/02/2017   7:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Chris ----Before you go ,sit down and make a list of all the philatelic subjects you want to know more about . Make a good size list on various subjects . Then plan on visiting the Library section and walk out with as much as you can because you can mail back the books .Make a list of extra books that can be mailed to you later on in the year.
Please leave a few bucks as a donation to the library .The last time I was there I spend three days just photo/scanning various books or chapters onto a micro chip that I purchased at the drug store and inserted into their scanner .Went home happy with a whole library to install into my computer .
Pillar Of The Community
United States
750 Posts
Posted 11/02/2017   8:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chris2015 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks ! I knew I saw a discussion on this topic before, but I search skills failed me.

Great ideas floortrader, I will do that.

Sounds like it will be well worth the trip since I will be in the area.
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
Posted 11/03/2017   4:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ScottEnglish to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
We hope you'll stop by while you're in the area. There is more than enough to do in a single day. I highly recommend visiting the library and the Gift/Stamp and Cover Shop. For your planning purposes, the shortest tour takes about 30 minutes. The full tour is 60 minutes. You can also stop by Circuit Sales if you want to look through the sales book, that can last as long as you want. Typical visit time there is three hours.

If I can answer any questions, please let me know.

Scott
Valued Member
United States
225 Posts
Posted 11/03/2017   5:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Greaden to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely take the tour. As for the library, you can search online for its holdings in areas of special interest to you. Once you get a feel for what they have and how they work, then you can work with them online or by mail.

As for buying stamps, the circuit books are available. I skipped the stampstore holdings as I can see them online.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1566 Posts
Posted 11/03/2017   5:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mkfarm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I enjoyed the tour which I did about a month back. They have some interesting wall displays. The staff treats you like royalty. They have a small store with books and stamps. The original post office is cool. I could probably spend a day just browsing the library.

It is not that far from the university I would say give your self a half hour drive time. Remember the entrance is in the back of the complex.
Valued Member
United States
288 Posts
Posted 11/06/2017   10:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add svensson to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Let us know how you made out Chris.....as mentioned, I went through Circuit books while I was there and picked up a Stamp Store order which I had placed in advance. As I understand it, you can not physically examine or just peruse any of the stamps that are listed on the Stamp Store. The library could occupy you for days, just going through the periodicals that are available.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
750 Posts
Posted 11/08/2017   3:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chris2015 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi everyone,

I just returned from my trip to State College (had a meeting at Penn State). I went through Bellefonte on my way in on Monday. Got to the APS a little later that I hoped, but still had about one and a half hours there before they closed at 4:30. I briefly toured the build, loved looking at the stamp displays on the walls, then spent the rest of my time going through the circuit books. Got some nice Turkish stamps to add to my collection!

Then, before driving back home today, I decided I'd go back for a couple of hours, which I did first thing in the morning (this morning). I spend my time in the gift shop, and I purchased 30 stamps and a whole set of used Scott catalogs...total bill was $7.50

On Monday, I did walk around the library a bit, but found it to be a bit overwhelming unless you know exacting what you are looking for.

Overall, I had a great time, got some nice stamps for my collection, and picked up some much needed catalogs cheaply without needing to incur any shipping charges! And it was a beautiful town and a beautiful drive up from Maryland.

Thanks APS!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5373 Posts
Posted 11/20/2017   08:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good to hear you enjoyed the experience . Yes the library is overwhelming but as I said in a earlier posting have your list of interest made up before you enter because the place is a store house of information .
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 2,632Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05