Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Scott #205 5c Garfield Abnc

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
497 Posts
Posted 11/04/2017   07:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Moyock13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Question for the group concerning the differences in color shade on the 5c Garfield ABNC stamp scott# 205.

These stamps were all issued by The American Bank Note Company 1882. Flatplate? Why would there be three different shades?

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5788 Posts
Posted 11/04/2017   07:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scott specialized lists the following shades.

Yellow brown
Brown
Gray brown

No difference in value. Very common

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by stallzer - 11/04/2017 07:43 am
Valued Member
United States
497 Posts
Posted 11/04/2017   08:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moyock13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting! Not really concerned about the value, more the rarity.
Please take a look at the last of the three I posted earlier, check out the dark field inside the 6 point star. There are white marks surrounding the "5".
And U.S. POSTAGE letters have a few light spots.
Here's a better scan.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
642 Posts
Posted 11/04/2017   1:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billw2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stamps of this period in general come in a myriad of different shades. Why?

Inks were generally mixed by hand and supplies of ingredients varied in quality. Generally if the color was "close" the printers were fine with it.

These stamps are now up to 135 years old and some of these inks have degraded in that time or chemically reacted as well and some of them are also prone to chemical reaction from environmental factors.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1998 Posts
Posted 11/04/2017   4:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As for the third stamp, the white areas are caused by incomplete inking of the plate due to various causes. This is no big deal. If the printing was somewhat worse than this, on inspection, the whole printed sheet would probably have been thrown away.

Further, on the 10c National Bank Notes at least, the fine lines in the shield part can be partially gone to nearly completely missing. This is due to plate wear and is fairly common. So there is another reason for light spots on engraved stamps.
Valued Member
United States
497 Posts
Posted 11/04/2017   6:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moyock13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Seems funny that the inking the star would be incomplete when the rest of the stamp is very clear and crisp. That third stamp is crystal clear compared to the rest.

It is certainly interesting. Thanks everyone.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
448 Posts
Posted 01/10/2020   11:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bringing this thread back up - I am continuing to categorize my US stamps and this Garfield 5C was giving me a bit of color trouble. Seeing the variations above, can I assume I have a 205 versus a 216? - mine almost looks gray to me - not brown nor indigo. I also see some toning issues so looks like aging is a factor. Thanks all.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
755 Posts
Posted 01/10/2020   12:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mrita75

Have a Yellow Brown with a PF Cert for your review:

Edited by gettinold - 01/10/2020 12:49 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
448 Posts
Posted 01/10/2020   1:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
205 it is. Gracias! Very nice btw.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05