Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Australia Relief Stamp Cancel

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 905Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3461 Posts
Posted 11/04/2017   5:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Partime to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here's an example. (Maybe others can post more.) I guess my basic question is what does it represent? Another website claimed, "used when the standard post office of origin postmark was missing or damaged."

They must be very common, because I found the exact same version of the cancel (not the same stamp), in this older auction catalog (lot 1372)

https://www.premierpostal.com/cgi-b...750772010329
Send note to Staff
Edited by Partime - 11/04/2017 5:26 pm

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29385 Posts
Posted 11/04/2017   7:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When the original hammer was damaged or missing, or away for repairs.

Further reading :
http://goscf.com/t/55065

Exist on Meter Franks.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 11/04/2017 7:12 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29385 Posts
Posted 11/04/2017   7:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

A particularly handsome example, owned by our own SCF member Tony Mac....

Papua and New Guinea.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
3704 Posts
Posted 11/04/2017   10:36 pm  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So many really nice cancels.

I wonder if that canceler was on hand at every PO for when the normal canceler went down.

You would think the PO concerned would use a spare normal canceler.

All the cancels look to be from a brand new canceler.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29385 Posts
Posted 11/04/2017   10:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Guess:
For audit conditions, each staff member at the counter had each, their own designated hammer.
Spare cancellers would be a risk.
Relief look new as they were not used often, and were supplied on request.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
3704 Posts
Posted 11/04/2017   11:52 pm  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Of coarse officialdom.

The power that the PO workers cancel had.

Great guess Rod!
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
866 Posts
Posted 11/05/2017   02:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob041256 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Quite an attractive block of 4 CDS bridges you have there. A very interesting acquisition.

Rob
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3461 Posts
Posted 04/02/2020   10:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bumping this older thread. I just picked up this item for the "Relief" cancel. It also happens to be from Papua - NG, August 13, 1952. Tony Mac's was Relief No 1. This is Relief No 3. Any No 2 out there?
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29385 Posts
Posted 04/02/2020   10:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely cover there Steve,
you do manage to get some fabulous Australian material.
Check "Duke" (The Kangaroo) stamps for varieties.

Relief No3 was used at Lae.
'RELIEF No 5' used at Namatanai and Rabaul
Edited by rod222 - 04/02/2020 10:57 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29385 Posts
Posted 04/02/2020   11:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Papua New Guinea Relief Stamps Pmkd "Queensland"

All of these post offices were equipped with Australian Relief date stamps from Queensland with the inscription "PMG'S DEPT" plus the additional notation as shown in the example "C1", since regular date stamps were not yet available.

https://i-ng.org/en/background-info...used-in-png/
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3461 Posts
Posted 04/02/2020   11:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great info, as always, Rod. I just fish around and sometimes catch something of interest. Not much value, but then again, not much cost.

Though not related to a Relief Stamp, this one was picked up at about the same time. I like the mixed frankings:

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29385 Posts
Posted 04/03/2020   02:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Steve,
are you able to read the West Australian Pmk?

Surprised they did not employ the 2/- meter impression

Roneo Neopost Meter (Unable to read "N" number)
Click to enlarge image

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Inter...og/Australia
Edited by rod222 - 04/03/2020 02:33 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3461 Posts
Posted 04/03/2020   11:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod. The postmark is Perth, 30 X 53 (October 30, 1953). No box around the N, so appears to be Roneo Neopost type B. Hard to tell, but could be letters opposite the N ... may be EAS, but very difficult to tell with all of my filtering techniques.

Thanks again for the great links.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29385 Posts
Posted 04/04/2020   12:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Steve.
Roneo Neopost indeed had Alpha Numeric, so it could have had letters.
Some from my collection.
Had we had the code, then possible to find from whence it originated.

The early unboxed N seems to have had dodgy dies.

Note small segment of simulated perforations at lower edge

Edited by rod222 - 04/04/2020 12:17 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 905Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05