Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Seeking Opinions...634 Or 634B

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 2,666Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
386 Posts
Posted 11/09/2017   11:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Walkman82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Color varieties are difficult, especially viewed in a web browser, so I wanted to get a general consensus among the experts. The stamp on the left is 583, on the right I believe 634b. It's actually a little darker and more intense than the photo shows.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance!
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
1375 Posts
Posted 11/10/2017   03:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamperix to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If the photo does not show the real color, how should anyone here decide the real color :) ?
Best would be a scan - but as it seems here it's not a 634b.

Here are some 634b from Siegel - but as you can see they are quite different due to image processing. Perhaps someone who owns a 634b could say which of the ones shown at Siegel is most close from the color to Carmine lake. Carmine lake should have a bluish color part in it.

https://siegelauctions.com/pse-grap...esymbol=OGnh
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
702 Posts
Posted 11/10/2017   07:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Glenn Estus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Even on the Siegel site, it's difficult to see the actual shade.
Valued Member
28 Posts
Posted 11/10/2017   1:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pastime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Carmine, lake, and even vermilion are the default descriptors for many different colors of stamps in the Scott catalog. I've given up trying to spot a lake or carmine lake among the many regulars and commemoratives bearing those labels (other than the very distinctive 499h). It's cold comfort to me that even the experts at PF have trouble:
http://pfsearch.org/pfsearch/pf_grd...lledfrom=lkp
Steve
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2854 Posts
Posted 11/10/2017   5:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is honest rather than guess.
Al
Valued Member
United States
100 Posts
Posted 11/11/2017   12:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GrandpaJohn to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If memory serves there are several cheap US stamps that are only available in Carmine (for instance) that could easily be used for color comparison purposes against those w/ several red colors.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
565 Posts
Posted 11/12/2017   07:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add srailkb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The carmine lake variety is a very deep color. It's extremely unlikely the image posted above is a 634b IMO.

FWIW, I'm getting ready to offer this 599b pair, so scanned it with a "normal" 599 for comparison.

In case you're wondering, I do color-calibrate my entire system, so if your monitor is color-calibrated, the shade should be pretty true. ...and as you might imagine, the range of carmine-lake 599b shades is nearly identical to the range of 634b shades, so I thought it would be relevant to this thread.

Pillar Of The Community
1375 Posts
Posted 11/12/2017   09:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamperix to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, this is really helpful (I have a color-calibrated system as well). Now I see better which direction the carmine lake is. I show some of my stamps where I was not sure about the color. For example, I thought that the one which is darker or those that have a bluish appearance in the carmine could be carmine lake, but now I see none of all of them is carmine lake. Perhaps that also helps others.

(Yes, the last two stamps are in type II. Interesting with them is the different color although Scott only mentions carmine.)

Valued Member
Canada
24 Posts
Posted 11/13/2017   12:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DeEll to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting information on Carmine Lake!
Valued Member
United States
18 Posts
Posted 08/10/2020   10:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add whatdowehavehere to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just came across this thread... I worked in a Coin & Stamp shop, and bought a few massive lots of later-day covers. 3 or 4 #634b covers were cherried, and all are dated 1932
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 2,666Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.68 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05