Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

B.c.o.f. Rare Series

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 49 / Views: 5,064Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member
Australia
137 Posts
Posted 11/11/2017   11:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add koalastamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rob,

Here are back scans of the 3d BCOFs.

And I'm smiling. Have a look at the original scan of the front of the double overprint, bottom left, one of the perfs appears missing. When I scanned the back I could see the perf tip was still there, just folded under. So now it's back in place as seen in the new back scan (left image).

Regards the 2/- roo pair, there's no gum, and there's no mention in my old ACSC of the BCOFs being released CTO. I think it's a lovely fine used pair, with CTO appearance.

Best,
Rod

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1471 Posts
Posted 11/12/2017   09:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob041256 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rod

I will be speaking to a friend tomorrow about that double overprint, it is quite an impressive and rare stamp and I want to see what real time value is attached to its status.

Also, I just looked at your website, what a truly professional piece of work, I'm quite impressed, and your pricing of those stamps is quite fair, quite affordable, and by your written terms you seem to take the condition of those stamps seriously.

Just recently I had to query Downies (dealers in numismatics and philately) why they were selling a 1975 variety for mega bucks.

The variety from Downies catalogue with their price attached.

And their history about the stamp (nothing in this spruiking is true)

I paid $50 for the very same variety exactly 1 year ago, and that was at premium value.

Never received a reply and some sucker is going to blow $195 (minus the actual value).

Rob
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1471 Posts
Posted 11/20/2017   7:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob041256 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A friend who is a dealer from Victoria set up a stall at the Brisbane stamp show, he said it was okay but it could have been better, and one of the reasons was the venue was too far away for those who do not have a car.

Rob
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3698 Posts
Posted 12/08/2018   10:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bumping this older topic. Earlier, it was asked

Quote:
Are these overprints often counterfeited?

Here are some that just appeared on eBay

They look dot-matrix printed to me.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1762 Posts
Posted 12/08/2018   3:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Unquestionably fake Partime, and very VERY poorly at that!
Valued Member
United States
297 Posts
Posted 12/08/2018   7:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KGVIStamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice article Rob. Thanks for publishing this information. Totally agree with all of you about the difference in the sites.
Learn more about King George VI stamps at www.KGVIStamps.com
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1471 Posts
Posted 12/08/2018   7:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob041256 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Partime

The B.C.O.F. overprints are definitely fake, the font is incorrect and as you mentioned were printed by a dot-matrix printer.

Can you provide the link to those counterfeits.

Rob
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1471 Posts
Posted 12/08/2018   7:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob041256 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi KGVIStamps

Thanks for the comment, I totally enjoy contributing history and other details when possible to enhance the interest of the subject(s).

Rob
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3698 Posts
Posted 12/08/2018   8:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Quote:
br / br / One is a target= _blank id= keywords href= /go/link.asp?target=https://www.ebay.com/b/Stamps/260/
eBay /a item number: a href= /go/link.asp?target=https://www.ebay.com/itm/-/143044018541 target= _blank rel= nofollow /go/link.asp?target=https://www.ebay.com/itm/-/143044018541 /a 143044018541" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">
Quote:
br / br / One is a target= _blank id= keywords href= /go/link.asp?target=https://www.ebay.com/b/Stamps/260/ eBay /a item number: a href= /go/link.asp?target=https://www.ebay.com/itm/-/143044018541 target= _blank rel= nofollow /go/link.asp?target=https://www.ebay.com/itm/-/143044018541 /a 143044018541

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Australia-...AOSwRjxcC2LK

I sent the seller a note about my thoughts. No response yet. At least they are only trying to get US$0.99 for each.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1471 Posts
Posted 12/09/2018   04:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob041256 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The difference between the counterfeit and the authentic B.C.O.F. fonts, also the full-stops are too far apart. There is also another tell-tale sign, the overprint is above the cancellation.

Edited by Rob041256 - 12/09/2018 04:07 am
Valued Member
United States
297 Posts
Posted 12/09/2018   09:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KGVIStamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice comparison of the forgeries Rob. It is a pretty poor effort considering they couldn't even find the same font.
Learn more about King George VI stamps at www.KGVIStamps.com
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3698 Posts
Posted 12/09/2018   10:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For those without an ACSC, here are the various known varieties of the overprints:

The descriptions of the varieties are:

P for B in BCOF
, (comma) for stop after C
4 in the wrong font
B and the first A in Japan in wrong font
6 in the wrong font
1 in the wrong font
N of Japan in wrong font
Second A of Japan, and 4 in wrong font
Stop after Japan
B in wrong font
1 in wrong font (long one)
6 is raised
1 in wrong font (short one)

Some of these are very hard to see, but not too hard to find. Good luck.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1471 Posts
Posted 12/09/2018   6:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob041256 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have most of those varieties, the P.C.O.F. The comma after C and the dot after Japan is all that escapes me, just cannot find any.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1471 Posts
Posted 12/09/2018   6:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob041256 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks KGVIStamps, I wonder who would be foolish enough to buy them.

Rob
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1471 Posts
Posted 02/07/2020   8:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob041256 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
An addition I forgot to add, as I was waiting for the envelope to be certified. This stamp on cover is the B.C.O.F. 3d with double overprint.

As stated on the certificate it is of great rarity, in the 2019 ACSC there are only 2 in existence.

Edited by Rob041256 - 02/07/2020 8:46 pm
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 49 / Views: 5,064Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 16.32 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05