Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

My Mystery Stamp - Can Someone Identify This Stamp?  

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
70 Posts
Posted 11/14/2017   11:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jchrisler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message
I am having difficulty with stamps that do not use our alphabet, I am not able to read them and have not learned to recognize any of them except Japan (lived there for 2 years a long time ago).

Here is a stamp that I have been looking for for a few days now but cannot find, I have looked in china and tibet, of course I could have overlooked something while looking - this looks chinese to me, have been through china 3 times and am not locating it:

In the meantime I have at least figured out that each stamp has a basic format, and they overlay the art on the stamp with the format, has taken me time to realize that I need to look for the format and not the art in the catalog.

Thanks to anyone that can help me with this stamp - I do not think it is a valuable stamp, I would just like to identify it for peace of mind so to speak.

And if anyone has any tips on how to handle the stamps with foreign alphabets I would appreciate hearing them!

Thanks, Julie
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1742 Posts
Posted 11/14/2017   11:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Taiwan, 31 Oct 1956.

For stamps without recognizable text, I usually do a reverse Google image search.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Valued Member
United States
70 Posts
Posted 11/14/2017   12:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jchrisler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow PostmasterGS, you are fast! I also do reverse image searches when looking for stamps I can't find, I did not see any like this one - but of course I was focused on china, didn't think of Taiwan. I am curious, did you find it by looking at the scott catalog or by using the google image search? I am not finding it either way, but of course I did not look at Taiwan. Many thanks for locating this stamp for me.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1742 Posts
Posted 11/14/2017   12:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A reverse Google image search led to this page, which I then ran through Google Translate.
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Valued Member
United States
70 Posts
Posted 11/14/2017   12:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jchrisler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
OK PostmasterGS, I can tell I am missing something. I go to google images and key in "china + postage stamp" and I get a page of images with English text. Are you changing the google country to china or asia? I did do a search for "postage stamp + asia" too, did not get any chinese pages back that I know of, however I could have overlooked them as I wasn't paying attention to that aspect of the search results.

Any further information about your search method would be helpful if you are up to divulging it. Thank you so much for your help this morning. :)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1742 Posts
Posted 11/14/2017   1:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You need to do a Google Image search, not a Google text search.

To do that, go to Google Images and click on the little camera icon in the search block. This will pop-up a window that allows you to either provide a hyperlink to the image (if on the Internet) or upload the image from a file. Then click search.

At the bottom of the results page you should see something like this:

Pillar Of The Community
1483 Posts
Posted 11/14/2017   2:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jenny2U to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you use Chrome as your browser, you can also right click the image. "Search Google for Image" will be one of the options on the menu.
Learn More...
United States
4451 Posts
Posted 11/14/2017   3:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kirks to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If you use Chrome as your browser, you can also right click the image. "Search Google for Image" will be one of the options on the menu.

IF that image is on a web page you're viewing with Chrome, but NOT if the image is a file on your harddrive.

Kirks
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
2062 Posts
Posted 11/14/2017   4:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Julie,

When I saw this stamp my first thought was Taiwan (ROC) and that was for several reasons:

1. The script looks Chinese.
2. It has the character for China (a square with a vertical line through the middle).
3. The characters are complicated (dense with lots of strokes) showing it's the traditional Chinese script (as used in Taiwan) rather than the Simplified script (as used in mainland China).

I then looked it up and found it before realising that PostmasterGS had already posted the answer by a more efficient method! At least we found the same stamp.

I'd like to be able to say I recognised Chiang Kai-Shek but I didn't (and I still don't see the likeness)

Nigel
Valued Member
United States
70 Posts
Posted 11/14/2017   4:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jchrisler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you so much for the information everyone. I did the image search from the images page by clicking on the camera and uploading the same image that I uploaded at the beginning of this thread. Found the same page that PostmasterGS did - thank you so much for explaining this to me, I have never had occasion to do an image search before, of course it is different than a text search, my faux pas.

I use the Opera browser, last time I used chrome it was unwieldy, a resource hog, same for firefox. Maybe they have improved these applications by now, it has been a couple of years since I switched away.

Thanks for all the help
Valued Member
United States
70 Posts
Posted 11/14/2017   9:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jchrisler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is later in the day here, evening time, and I am going over this one more time as I had to run off earlier today before I had finished to run some errands.

So now, looking over this I tried to look up this stamp in the Scott catalog. I am looking under the Republic of China and have found the stamp that I believe PostmasterSC and nigelc were referring to, specifically:

Republic of China Sc#1144 A122 40c carmine rose

Here is what is bothering me about this identification - if indeed this is the stamp referred to earlier in the thread- it is the only one with a date of Oct 1956 for 40c. The "art" designation of "A122" is a different picture of Chaing Kai-shek, not this one. And, the denomination of 40c is on the bottom right on this stamp, none of the stamps in this set is formatted this way - the denominations on the stamps shown are elsewhere on the stamp, none are on the bottom right. The description I am seeing for the 40c stamp issued in Taiwan in Oct 1956 is different than the stamp I posted.

Can someone help me out with this, I am of course, throughly confused about where to find this stamp at this point. I am continuing to look for this stamp, if someone finds it I would appreciate knowing.

Thanks,
Julie

Pillar Of The Community
United States
4820 Posts
Posted 11/14/2017   10:02 pm  Show Profile Check Petert4522's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Julie, try it this way. Go to http://stampworld.com and find Taiwan in the catalogue. Under 1956, October 31 your stamp is listed and shown as the second one in a set of 6

Peter
Valued Member
United States
70 Posts
Posted 11/14/2017   10:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jchrisler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you so much Peter, I could not find the stamp on stamp world, got to the page of stamps for Taiwan, tried to go to page 2 (said there were more pages) and it would not go past page one - not sure what that was all about, but I tried and tried, couldn't get it to go anywhere but page 1. So, I left the site and went here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Taiwan-the...AOSwHUhaB6Rn

I am still a bit confused about the Scott catalog, but I suppose this statement copied from the section covering this set of stamps covers the situation:

Quote:
Various Portraits of Chiang

I am learning to pay attention to their little notes, they have solved more than one mystery for me over the past few days.

Thanks,
Julie

Valued Member
Bulgaria
41 Posts
Posted 11/15/2017   12:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add filkata to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have developed a smartphone app for cases just like this, I will share it with you once I have the appropriate number of posts :)
Pillar Of The Community
1483 Posts
Posted 11/15/2017   03:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jenny2U to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
IF that image is on a web page you're viewing with Chrome, but NOT if the image is a file on your harddrive.

Kirk, you simply right click the image on your hard drive to open with Chrome and then do the image search.
Valued Member
24 Posts
Posted 11/15/2017   07:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamping101 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think on Stampworld, you have to make an account to get past the first page. That's what I did and it worked. Otherwise, I'm not really sure.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum TopicsRecently Active Forum Topics
  Are these stamps and stamp cancellations?
  HOW TO DETECT FAKES AND FORGERIES ON WORLD COVERS Link
  Are these even cosidered stamps..??
  Show us your Turkey's on stamps
  Otoman Empire / Turkey revenues?
  Help with 2 China stamps
  need help identifing scott cat number
  Need help identifying 1888 cancel on a 2 cent Washington stamp still on envelope
  Belgium Postage Due Lion Types.
  The extreme of laziness? (RB52)
  Kuk Militar Post Question and Please Help Id Another Stamp I Can't Read
  Bill Steiner System Hacked
  Japanese report/documents c.1928. Any philatelic relevance?
  1934 USA Park Stamps Real or fake?
  Is this 5 cent Columbian cut square U350a?
  Is this a "unicorn" stamp or just wishful thinking?
  So ebay people sell customized stamps as if they were collectible?
  Revenue Stamps Collecting and Value
  QV 1896 Army Official Postmark Help
  US Washington 3c identity help
  Is this technically superb?
  Delcampe Vs Ebay, Am I missing something?
  Stamps cancelled with pen squiggles
  Is this category in the best forum?
  Stamp Inventory Programs

What Was in YOUR Mailbox Today??
  Are these stamps and stamp cancellations?
  I inherited my Uncle's huge collection of stamps, thought you might enjoy seeing some of it
  Traditional Costumes Worldwide
  Any interest in world Postal Stationery?
  Kiloware Purchase... Not sure if
  HOW TO DETECT FAKES AND FORGERIES ON WORLD COVERS Link
  Having Trouble Identifying this Stamp - Appears to be Imperforate
  Coil Test Strips
  Otoman Empire / Turkey revenues?
  Hanukkah stamps issued today (November 14th) and immediately recalled
  Are these even cosidered stamps..??
  Belgium Postage Due Lion Types.
  The Stamps of Turkey : On Steiner Pages.
  Scott 441 flat plate coil paste-up?
  Help with 2 China stamps
  Is this a fake I grill?
  Holiday Give-Away #1
  Show us your Turkey's on stamps
  Christmas Around the World 2017
  Stamp Inventory Programs
  Is this 5 cent Columbian cut square U350a?
  Holiday Give-Away #2
  Holiday Give-Away #3
  Delcampe Vs Ebay, Am I missing something?

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.89 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05