Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hanukkah stamps issued today (November 14th) and immediately recalled  

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar Of The Community
2808 Posts
Posted 11/25/2017   3:42 pm  Show Profile Check jogil's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What is interesting about this issue is that the differences do not seem to concern the actual stamps directly but what was printed on the booklet cover, booklet selvage and first day cover envelope and these non-stamp differences are already making them more expensive early recalled scarcer versions.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by jogil - 11/25/2017 3:50 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
5699 Posts
Posted 11/25/2017   3:50 pm  Show Profile Check BeeSee's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Blackjag, I cannot see any colour differences on mine. You may just have a normal shade variance.
BeeSee in BC
"The Postmark is Mightier than the Stamp"
http://brcstamps.com ---- BNAPS, RPSC, APS
Valued Member
Canada
10 Posts
Posted 11/25/2017   11:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Karyudo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What is interesting about this issue is that the differences do not seem to concern the actual stamps directly but what was printed on the booklet cover, booklet selvage and first day cover envelope and these non-stamp differences are already making them more expensive early recalled scarcer versions.

This has happened a few times with OFDCs in the past few years. The 2014 Catherine O'hara issue had to be recalled for a factual mistake in the text on the back of the OFDC, while the stamp itself was fine. Heck, this isn't even the first not-a-stamp-problem error this year: the Gilles Villeneuve OFDC in May also had to be recalled for incorrect information on the back of the cover, even though the stamp was OK.

I've got a Villeneuve error cover, but if anybody's got an error O'hara OFDC that they'd like to get rid of, let's talk....
Canada
1 Posts
Posted 11/27/2017   11:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Paulie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure if Canada Post shall have a new date of issue on the OFDC (they should)but I suspect the postmark shall be new as there seems to be something about displaying the 6 point star and that is what is showing on the original OFDC.
Canada
3 Posts
Posted 11/28/2017   12:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wigeon44 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was able to find 17 booklets of the recalled stamp yesterday in small rural outlets.

I would tend to agree the issue may well be the sensitivity over the large yellow star on the cover and it's association with disrespect and shaming.
Valued Member
87 Posts
Posted 11/29/2017   08:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JPMG to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I was able to find 17 booklets of the recalled stamp yesterday in small rural outlets

hummm, they have to scan the barecode to sell it and if you scan the recalled one the computer refuse the sale.
Canada
3 Posts
Posted 11/30/2017   07:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wigeon44 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Be that as it may I now have 17 of the error booklets. One outlet only took cash. The other was a gas tation that took credit cards and there was no issue. I travelled around to another 10 small rural outlets yesterday without any further luck. A number of these stores only get bare bones inventory and never received any of those particular stamps. The others had returned them as instructed. All Nations Stamp and Coin of BC provides a good analysis of the situation on their website. https://www.allnationsstampandcoin....hRecall.html

In my travels yesterday there has been no recall of the November Details magazines from office shelves which illustrates the error. I guess the month is now over and the error came too late in the month to also issue a new Details. I grabbed about 20 copies of the magazine which will go nicely with sale of the booklets. Not sure if these will add any value to the error stamp??

I still believe that the yellow star was the reason for the recall (it's obviously no longer on the new packs) for the reason stated-- ie it reminds people of the yellow star patch used to identify and shame Jews during the Hollocaust. You can see the similarities in various on line stories including Wikipedia.

http://www.bl.uk/learning/histcitiz...lowstar.html
Valued Member
Canada
53 Posts
Posted 04/11/2018   08:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Brad905 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It doesn't seem as though the recalled booklet is going to be any kind of rarity. There are a couple of dozen on eBay right now with the average price of about $25.00. One is currently as low as $8.00. It would appear that the FDCs are a little rarer - but only based on a passing glimpse today at eBay.
Edited by Brad905 - 04/11/2018 09:00 am
Canada
3 Posts
Posted 04/11/2018   7:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wigeon44 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Seems pretty low. Wonder if these are starting bid prices or the actual sale price?
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
928 Posts
Posted 11/09/2018   02:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamperix to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would like to recall the recalled Hanukkah stamp thread and ask a few questions.

What do you think today, after some months: is there really a difference (in color) of the normal and the recalled stamp itself? if yes, do you think it will become an own catalogue number (the stamp).

and about the booklets, have they become kind of new rarity among Canadian collectors? I actually don't think so as they appear quite often on eBay.

an about eBay: what about this envelope, what about its value, and is it a real recalled envelope?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-2017-...173058680708
Pillar Of The Community
676 Posts
Posted 11/12/2018   9:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sak to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The OFDC of the Hanukkah stamp is still on sale at Canada Post for $1.85. It has 2017-11-14 as a date - the same as the eBay seller who wants $435 for the privilege of ordering it for you;)
Although they do say it is of the "reprint". I see no way to tell them apart.
If the latest (2018) Unitrade catalogue (which I don't have) doesn't list a variety, that's your answer.
If nobody who has the latest catalogue will confirm this for you, I will receive the 2019 edition in December (along with everybody else) and try to remember to let you know;)
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.6 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05