Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1c 1851 Plate 1-late Stamps

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 22
Valued Member
United States
472 Posts
Posted 05/15/2019   10:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would suggest starting in the Stampsmarter website, under the tab Features you will find the 1c Plating Initiative feature. Open it up and explore it as you did the Neinken book. That should be a very good start. Watch sales of these stamps and use them as a challenge of sorts to try plating them. Some people list the plating position in their listing. Ignore it at first, delve into plating it yourself and then compare to what that say in the listing. Soon you will begin to notice listings of stamps, say on eBay, where you will disagree with the listing designation, say they are calling the stamp a Scott #7 and it's really a 9. Then you will know you are on your way. Just keep plugging away. You will need to explore uses of your computer to save, enlarge and tweek the listing photos to help you see the finer details. Use other websites in the process also. You will see them listed in forum discussions. Explore them too. Good luck!!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1540 Posts
Posted 05/16/2019   11:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Mac. Your post made my day. Its nice to see you here.

There is no substitute for reading the text in the Neinken book. There is more there than you might think. Read it multiple times. You can pace yourself, and maybe just target one plate at a time, to make it manageable.

I would read all of the introduction and essay-proof stuff first, then maybe first focus on Plate 1-Late, which tends to be the easiest to plate.

When plating -

* learn what the full die design looks like. Its in Neinken - large die proof

* learn what the reliefs look like on the transfer roll(s) for each plate. There are drawings in the book for each roll.

The above, essentially, are your baselines. In plating, you are looking for variances, by position. But variances from what?
Answer - from what should have been there, which is, for Plate 1L, either a Modified T relief, an A relief, or B relief. For the top row right pane, a combination of an Original T relief and a Modified T relief, and a giant mess to go with it.

Once you have a good grasp of what should be there, then you can start looking for uniqueness by position.

Good luck.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1540 Posts
Posted 05/16/2019   11:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
caper already mentioned stampsmarter, which is a great resource.

There is also the 1c plating archive, which contains a very accurate plating record.

http://www.slingshotvenus.com/Frank...hv_Main.html

Finally, on this forum, if you search under a thread subject of:
"1c 1851" or "1c 1857" that will reveal most of the by-plate discussion threads that we've had here.

I use the bookmark facility of this forum to effectively go back and forth among them. Its one of the top buttons on the page, under "tools". I bookmark via this forum all of the 1c (and other) pertinent threads I want to remember. That saves later searching.
United States
2 Posts
Posted 05/17/2019   09:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stirlingstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Caper and Tx... Thanks for the tips. I did go to Stampsmarter and searched out the plating data. I got through chapter 10 (text portion) of Neinken but soon realized I had to go back to near the beginning and read it again. As suggested, too much to take in with one or two readings.

Thanks also for the tip on searching for the threads via the "1851" or "1857" method. Have read through a couple of those.

My first attempt at plating one of my own stamps using the SS site data led me to plate it as 21L1L. When I find out how to post the image I'll do so in order to confirm my findings (or not) by the experts here. Most of my images are bmp and too large for uploading.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
883 Posts
Posted 05/17/2019   09:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Also check out the guide dot charts that I made for some of the imperf plates.
Page: of 22 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05