Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1c 1851 Plate 1-Late Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 420 / Views: 39,645Next Topic
Page: of 28
Pillar Of The Community
United States
745 Posts
Posted 08/29/2020   1:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rick, how about 40R1L?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
952 Posts
Posted 08/29/2020   3:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do not see the doubled line above the "U" in "US" at top left under the ornament. That is why I passed on 40R1L. Although, I only see that on the Doporto image, not on images in my database. The ornaments match the 40R1L closely. I wish there was more marks to go by.
Edited by jaxom100 - 08/29/2020 4:24 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
952 Posts
Posted 08/31/2020   06:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What do you guys think on this one, 20R1L or 40R1L?

Edited by jaxom100 - 08/31/2020 06:24 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1412 Posts
Posted 08/31/2020   09:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
jaxom, I vote for 40R. I have a copy of 20R1L in a strip of three (18-20R) that clearly shows the dot in E of ONE per the Neinken drawing. Your stamp does not seem to have this.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
745 Posts
Posted 08/31/2020   2:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jaxom, look at Dudley's 20RL1, in particular at where the top line recut begins and ends and compare it to yours. That, along with the missing dot in the 'E' would lead me away from that choice. Have you consulted the 40R in Siegel when looking at the doubled line above the 'U'? I only ask as that stamp (part of an unused block of 4) was my reference in arriving at the 40R choice.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
952 Posts
Posted 09/01/2020   01:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If it is not 20R1L then the 40R1L is the only choice left. Thanks guys. It looks like you were right Caper.
Edited by jaxom100 - 09/01/2020 01:22 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
952 Posts
Posted 09/01/2020   01:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is my latest additions to my reconstruction. I needed all 10 stamps.
I need 7 more to reach the half way point.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2293 Posts
Posted 09/01/2020   12:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The bottom line on your 49R1L isn't broken, but its getting close.

If I recall correctly, 67R1L was another position - in addition to 89R1L, that is known occasionally as having a broken bottom line in late impressions. Yours is getting pretty worn but not broken yet.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1412 Posts
Posted 09/01/2020   8:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Way to go, jaxom! Keep us up to date on your progress.

To follow up on txstamp's comment, the inclusion of broken-frame line copies in a Plate One Late study adds some spice to the mix. I am on the lookout for such examples. Here is a copy of 67R1L on cover in which the bottom frame line is just barely hanging in there.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2293 Posts
Posted 09/01/2020   9:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cool. The fun challenge is to find one that is not 89R1L.
They exist, but are actually quite difficult to find.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
745 Posts
Posted 09/02/2020   12:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are a couple candidates. The first is 50R1L (though I'm unsure weather it is just wear making the bottom line weak), and 91L1L.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2293 Posts
Posted 09/02/2020   3:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The top stamp has an abrasion at the Bottom Line which makes it look broken, but I doubt that it is.

The bottom stamp 91L1L looks to me to be an inking issue, as I don't recall seeing any legitimate breaks in that position - at least not on (earlier) impressions circa 1853 which yours appears to be.
Edited by txstamp - 09/02/2020 3:32 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2293 Posts
Posted 09/02/2020   3:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I should add - very nice 91L1L.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1412 Posts
Posted 09/02/2020   3:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, gorgeous triple transfer, Caper!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
952 Posts
Posted 09/12/2020   3:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is one that I have been looking at for about a week. It is plate 1 late with relief A. I narrowed it down to 6 choices mainly using the top recut and eliminating positions with a definite plating mark. To narrow it down from those 6 choices at top of the image, I used the incompleteness of the top of ornament Z1. Two were not complete and the other 4 were. That left me with the choices of 54L1L and 38R1L. After considerable effort, I began looking at the placement of the small remainder of ornament L from the stamp to the left. In my opinion it is level with the dark spot on ornament A. It appears that 53L-54L are even and 37R-38R the 38R is lower. It appears this mark would more fit the 53L-54L spacing. So I am under the impression that the stamp in question is 54L1L. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Page: of 28 Previous TopicReplies: 420 / Views: 39,645Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 11.48 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05