Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Show Us Your Turkey's On Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
2755 Posts
Posted 12/25/2017   01:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kris Rascher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
'It's Christmas Day!' said Scrooge to himself.... "Do you know whether they've sold the prize Turkey that was hanging up there? -- Not the little prize Turkey: the big one?" "What, the one as big as me?" returned the boy. "What a delightful boy!" said Scrooge. "It's a pleasure to talk to him. Yes, my buck!" "It's hanging there now," replied the boy. "Is it?" said Scrooge. "Go and buy it." "Walk-er!" exclaimed the boy. "No, no," said Scrooge, "I am in earnest. Go and buy it, and tell them to bring it here, that I may give them the direction where to take it. Come back with the man, and I'll give you a shilling. Come back with him in less than five minutes and I'll give you half-a-crown!"

(Note: in Victorian English <i>Walk-er</i> signified amazement, almost disbelief.)
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Russian Federation
566 Posts
Posted 12/28/2017   5:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Alexey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
[URL="http://uploads.ru/YbMfh.jpg][/url]
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
2755 Posts
Posted 01/07/2018   04:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kris Rascher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Republic of Guinea issued a sheet of cute animal pictures for the UN Year of the Child in 1979. One of them appears to be a turkey!

Pillar Of The Community
Germany
2755 Posts
Posted 11/22/2018   12:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kris Rascher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Johann Peter Wenzel (1745-1829) was born in Bohemia. He made his artistic career in Rome, where he became the most celebrated animal painter of his day. He decorated, among other famous homes, the Villa Borghese with frescoes of animals for the Prince. His works are distinguished by their high finish and subtle characterization. After the artist's death, Pope Gregory XVI purchased for the Papal collection eleven paintings, among them was the monumental Garden of Eden (Vatican Museums) with 200 different animal species including a turkey! I don't know if Wenzel ever traveled to North America, but his paintings of turkeys are so realistic, he must have seen one.

(Hi Alexey, I hope you don't mind my repeating this stamp from your last post. Happy American Thanksgiving to all. K.)
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
2755 Posts
Posted 11/23/2018   02:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kris Rascher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hawaii didn't originally have any wild turkeys, but the ones that were brought there from Texas in the 1960s thrived and can now be legally hunted. newest game hunting stamp I found on the web.
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
2755 Posts
Posted 12/24/2018   01:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kris Rascher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A stamp showing a grand turkey issued this year by Moldavia: he appears to be of the dark variety.

(And by the way, Merry Christmas to all who celebrate the holiday. K.)
Pillar Of The Community
Russian Federation
566 Posts
Posted 12/24/2018   03:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Alexey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar Of The Community
Germany
2755 Posts
Posted 12/25/2018   12:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kris Rascher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Turkeys tend to roost overnight in trees; this one drawn by Frederika Sparagna (young artist) is particularly colorful. San Marino 1989

(Hi Alexey, That's a lovely painting of blue turkeys! K.)
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
2755 Posts
Posted 11/28/2019   12:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kris Rascher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Two grand turkey gobblers wish all who celebrate Thanksgiving a wonderful day.
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
2755 Posts
Posted 12/05/2019   01:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kris Rascher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The traditional Irish Christmas dinner did not include roast turkey, but now it does! 2018
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
2755 Posts
Posted 12/08/2019   01:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kris Rascher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Santa is getting rest and a grand dinner before the strenuous Christmas season. He has his friends, the king crab and the albatross there with him. A small turkey will do for the three of them.
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
2755 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   03:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kris Rascher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Preserving the Species of Mexico" is a beautiful huge painting of a multitude of Mexican wildlife which was issued as a pane of 24 stamps in 1996. Two of them include wild turkeys.
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
2755 Posts
Posted 12/10/2019   12:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kris Rascher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A souvenir sheet honors John Ray (1627-1705), the British naturalist, with an illustration from the ornithology book which he co-authored with Francis Willoughby. 2008
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
2755 Posts
Posted 12/11/2019   12:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kris Rascher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A few barnyard turkeys featured on a stamp for the World Food Day. Yemen 1982.
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
2755 Posts
Posted 12/18/2019   12:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kris Rascher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Through the frosted window the passer-by can see Scrooge meeting The Ghost of Christmas Present. A roast turkey is already on the table. 2012
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.26 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05