Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help With A Swiss Puzzler?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 942Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
512 Posts
Posted 11/25/2017   1:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add EdziuMM to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I haven't been able to figure the exact place of cancel of this Swiss stamp. Can you help?
Apparently the top of the cancel puts it from Lugano. I think.
It's the bottom inscription in the cancel -- "Fattorini" -- that I can't place.
I've found a trucking company and individuals with the name Fattorini, but no places. Is it a district/neighborhood of Lugano? A street? The name of a particular post office or building? A community outside of Lugano? Or what?
Thanks in advance for any help anyone can supply.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1295 Posts
Posted 11/25/2017   1:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Timm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fattorini... Could it be on old hotel?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
3376 Posts
Posted 11/25/2017   1:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
hi, I dont't know.Generally we find under LUGANO; "lettere","stazione"
or "*".Fattorini translated from italian means "Bellboy or groom" !
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3172 Posts
Posted 11/25/2017   2:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Swiss post office seems to use "fattorino" to mean postman.

Here are some citations from an online dictionary (including a few from swisspost.ch):

https://www.linguee.com/italian-eng...ttorino.html
Nigel
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
3376 Posts
Posted 11/25/2017   2:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
nigelc: I think so too. In french postman is "Facture".It also means
"bill" Like ;send me the bill...
I am not familiar with Swiss postal practices.In the 19th century France
it was possible too have the stamp cancelled by the postman 'OR" cancel; at your home instead of taking it too the local post office.
Edited by perf12 - 11/25/2017 3:08 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3172 Posts
Posted 11/25/2017   4:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I wonder where the Swiss post office would have applied this stamp and cancelled it given that it's a postage due.

Nigel
Valued Member
87 Posts
Posted 11/25/2017   6:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JPMG to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Postman in French is facteur not facture
Pillar Of The Community
United States
512 Posts
Posted 11/25/2017   6:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EdziuMM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's an interesting idea that postmen could have been equipped with postage due stamps and a canceler to use when applying them. Or maybe it was done by postal workers in a post office? But why specify that the postage-dueing was being done by a postal person?
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 942Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2023 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05