Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Questions And Help Me Find The Scott Number For This Iran 1955 Stamp Please

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
212 Posts
Posted 11/29/2017   4:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jchrisler to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

I have a couple of questions so I will start there. I am wondering if there is some standard method for finding a stamp on Scott when it isn't where you would think it would be - this keeps happening to me, I keep getting stumped. Here is one of the ones stumping me now:

I know this stamp is from Iran and was supposedly issued in 1955 however I cannot find it under Iran in the Scott. Can anyone explain this to me, I am puzzled as to why I keep running into this problem. Here is how I am currently identifying stamps, in order from first to last:

1 - read stamp under magnification looking for country and date, if any
2 - look up stamp in Scott
3 - if I don't find it I go to scanning in the stamp and an image search
4 - if the image search locates the stamp I am done, if not I do a text search and look at both the text results and the resulting images under Images
5 - if I still haven't found the stamp I will go search eBay using a descriptive term like "iran postage stamp + lion with sword"
6 - if I can't find the stamp on eBay, I go to stampworld which I did on the above stamp this morning
7 - if I still can't find the stamp I am at a loss and will ask for an id in this forum

Is there some other steps I should be doing to locate a stamp? I would appreciate feedback on this if you have another method for identifying a stamp.

The second question I have I guess is for 51studebaker (Don) - should I stop posting in the forum - I have been putting all my new topics in this forum and wonder if my posts are good enough to go into the other forums? Thanks for letting me know, Julie

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6628 Posts
Posted 11/29/2017   4:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Julie, I realize you are not asking me, but may I answer one of your concerns? You are doing fine by asking this forum. Nothing wrong with that. And we are more than happy to answer if we can.
On a second front: Are you sure that is a stamp? I am not saying it is not, but one never knows for sure.
Julie, I just woke up ( senior moment. ) and yes, this is the wrong forum. But all you have to do is send a note to staff ( right bottom of any post ) and they will take care of it.

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Petert4522 - 11/29/2017 4:24 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3858 Posts
Posted 11/29/2017   4:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would start posting in a more specific forum such as World Classic Stamps mint and used.
A more specific forum about the stamp would elicit more responses.

Check out the Postal Tax Stamps in "back of book" in Scott.

Sc RA1 type. Needs color,perf and watermark check.
Edited by redwoodrandy - 11/29/2017 11:30 pm
Pillar Of The Community
2404 Posts
Posted 11/29/2017   4:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Iran Postal Tax stamp, listed at the very end of the Iran listings in the Scott catalog.

add: for my round about search methodology: It appeared to me to be an Iran charity label, a search in Google images yielded several matching illustrations labeled as Iran telegraph stamps. This took me to Scott to see if they listed telegraph stamps, which they did not, but I chanced upon the Postal Tax Stamp listings. Further Google image searching for Iran Postal Tax Stamps yields quite a few examples including some on-cover.
Edited by John Becker - 11/29/2017 4:40 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28168 Posts
Posted 11/29/2017   5:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Julie,
I can tell you from my journeys around the stamp forums, this stamp is one of the most queried stamps going.
It comes up year after year after year.
I recall querying it. There are a bunch of them, Egyptian back of book etc.

If you cannot find it with your list above, (I would firstly search here type in "Iran" and search "subject only")
If that is unsuccessful , just ask.

As Redwoodrandy says, it is an RA type in Scott.

Yours (50 dinars) was an obligatory stamp on Registered Mail articles.

Quote:
his keeps happening to me, I keep getting stumped.

These are the dues required, for any Worldwide collector,
Keep at it, it gets easier and easier.

Edited by rod222 - 11/29/2017 5:42 pm
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2382 Posts
Posted 11/29/2017   5:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28168 Posts
Posted 11/29/2017   5:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
this keeps happening to me, I keep getting stumped.

Here's what I used to do, when stumbling.

I'd have my stamps in my sort book sleeve,
I'd tip out my "Iran" stamps to catalogue
I'd scan an ID them, and any that I couldn't find, I'd pop them into a glassine
marked "unidentified"
When finished, (sometimes after weeks) I'd pop the 4-5 tricky fellows on the stamp forum for ID.

Staves off the frustration, and lumps it into 1 hit.

Valued Member
United States
212 Posts
Posted 11/30/2017   04:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jchrisler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you to everyone that replied to this post - I haven't had the time yet to use the information you all have given me - meaning I have not had a chance to look up this stamp yet in the back of the book - that is what I am having difficulty locating but should be able to now that I know to go to the back of the book.

Based on what rod22 has said - always so kind - I realized that I have been forgetting to search this forum for previous posts - that is what I should have done with this stamp. Thank you for your replies in this thread, you always understand just what to say to put me at ease while at the same time helping me understand how to deal with whatever the problem is.

Redwoodrandy said:
Quote:
Sc RA1 type. Needs color,perf and watermark check.

Thank you redwoodrandy for this response, will be checking this stamp out further tomorrow morning, and thank you for all your help. I do appreciate it very much.

Thanks to each one of you who responded to this post, and thank you to the moderator who moved this thread to the right place in the forum.

Goodnight everyone.

Julie
Valued Member
Learn More...
Canada
414 Posts
Posted 11/30/2017   11:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The UPU General Regulations specify in Article RL115, paragraph 2.3, that stamps must contain the name of the issuing country in Roman characters. I don't know when this came into force initially but it was certainly not long after the formation of the UPU in 1874.

If a "stamp" doesn't have this, then it must have purely national implications beyond the postal service. Thus the logical place to look for it is in the back pages of catalogues.

The Regulations can be found in an almost 300 page PDF file at http://www.upu.int/uploads/tx_sbdow...otocolEn.pdf but makes quite interesting readings. I know, many will say that you need a certain mentality to wade into these, but the truth is that I served on the CCITT (a sister organization for telecoms) and also spent a while on a joint UPU/CCITT committee covering facsimile services.
Edited by itma - 11/30/2017 11:21 am
Valued Member
United States
72 Posts
Posted 11/30/2017   5:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Conker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
OP, I have my Scott open at Iran so maybe I can contribute a little.
Look at the very last Iran entries in Scott (just before Iraq starts) - RA1 to RA11.
At the bottom right of your stamp there is an upside down heart followed by a dot. These are the Arabic numbers 5 and 0 so it must be one of the 50d stamps.
All six of the 50d stamps are the same color so you would need to check watermark and perforation to nail it exactly.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28168 Posts
Posted 11/24/2019   10:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thread Bump : New Query
Seek Scott ID please, or just year.
Iran Thank you.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1966 Posts
Posted 11/24/2019   10:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The crossed swords and palm are a Saudi Arabia device. A 1989 issue from a set dated 1984-95, Scott 903.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28168 Posts
Posted 11/24/2019   10:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks HB.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1966 Posts
Posted 11/25/2019   05:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Apparently both countries are about selling oil rather than stamps to the West.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28168 Posts
Posted 11/25/2019   05:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To add insult to injury,
I had sought ID of a sibling, some years ago, I knew I had seen that stamp style before, the cross sabres failed to connect the memory wires.
(Together with my original query was in a Glassine of Iran issues )
Edited by rod222 - 11/25/2019 05:47 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05