Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

New South Wales Numeral Cancels

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 258 / Views: 15,681Next Topic
Page: of 18
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
2013 Posts
Posted 01/06/2022   3:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice work fairdinkumstamps

As I have stated with regard to other numerals, in my opinion any perceived difference can be attributed to wear of the device.

The first and fourth stamps in your first graphic illustrate this.

If I am right, then the listings for (2) and (3) are the wrong way around.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
New Zealand
124 Posts
Posted 01/19/2022   2:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tasnaki to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another one I am struggling with, suggestions please!

Thank you

Tasnaki
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
608 Posts
Posted 01/19/2022   2:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 3Dadeo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I checked every possibility I could think of but couldn't come up with a match. It could be a scarce one. Too bad the numerals are so hard to make out.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
2013 Posts
Posted 01/19/2022   3:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Tasnaki,

That one is an 865 of Haymarket.

Hope this helps
Valued Member
New Zealand
124 Posts
Posted 01/19/2022   5:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tasnaki to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for checking, very hard to make out!

Tasnaki
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1066 Posts
Posted 01/22/2022   11:29 pm  Show Profile Check ray.mac's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ray.mac to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, can anyone ID these for me please?

Thanks so much everyone!
Ray
Edited by ray.mac - 01/22/2022 11:38 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35181 Posts
Posted 01/22/2022   11:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Testing my data
216 URALLA

New South Wales
New England town which celebrates its connection with bushranger Captain Thunderbolt.

721 TEMORA

Temora, NSW
Important rural service centre known for its impressive Air Shows.
Edited by rod222 - 01/22/2022 11:44 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1066 Posts
Posted 01/22/2022   11:49 pm  Show Profile Check ray.mac's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ray.mac to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod, you're the best!
Have a great afternoon over there down under- we just had a miserable night here in Tennessee watching our beloved Green Bay Packers lose in the playoffs (we both moved here from Wisconsin). So, I'm resorting to playing with stamps the rest of the evening with a single malt scotch!!!!

Take care, Ray
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35181 Posts
Posted 01/23/2022   12:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cheers Ray,
Our footy teams have to lose sometimes

We need for Bobby or FDS to confirm your numerals,
not sure if my data is up to date.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
2013 Posts
Posted 01/23/2022   12:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Both correct Rod!

The Temora is a beauty, in that it's on something other than a 1d or 2d stamp.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35181 Posts
Posted 01/23/2022   02:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The Temora is a beauty, in that it's on something other than a 1d or 2d stamp.

Gotcha.
I wonder if the "OS" is somehow due to the Air business there.
Kinda makes sense to me.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
2013 Posts
Posted 01/23/2022   04:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not likely Rod.

We're talking about a period of use years before commercial aviation.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35181 Posts
Posted 01/23/2022   04:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Shucks!
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
2013 Posts
Posted 01/23/2022   4:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When numerals can also be read upside down, confusion could reign supreme.

The following may help in determining which one you have.

The rays cancels were replaced by barred numerals from number 836, so numerals that can be read two ways can usually be determined by the device type. Examples are 188/881, 198/861 and 666/999. In these three cases, the office with the low number was never issued with a barred numeral.

For barred numerals that can be read both ways, you'll need the handbook to help you determine which one you have.

The following list, with rarity ratings, may help. In most cases, comparing the shape and size of the numerals will tell you which one you have. As you will notice, many are very rare, and it's easy to believe you have the rare one, but 99.9% of the time, you will have the common one.

816 (3R) / 918 (5R)
866 (5R) / 998 (NNR)
868 (2R) / 898 (Not Rated)
886 (3R) / 988 (3R)
896 (NNR) / 968 (5R)
1011 (5R) / 1101 (Not Rated)
1061 (2R) / 1901 (4R)
1081 (3R) / 1801 (NNR)
1091 (5R) / 1601 (Not Rated)
1161 (NNR) / 1911 (4R)
1191 (2R) / 1611 (R)

I will deal with the rays cancels in my next post.
Edited by Bobby De La Rue - 01/23/2022 5:42 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
2013 Posts
Posted 01/23/2022   6:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In most cases, picking one rays cancel from another is easy, if you have both to compare. In the illustrations below, the second numeral has been flipped.

6 St. Marys / 9 Bathurst

For the 2R type, the Bathurst cancel wore rather quickly.

For the 3R type, the Bathurst is very rare, and was replaced before the issue of stamps on watermark small crown.

16 Wellington / 91 Tabulam

The 2R type is very rare in both instances.

For the 3R16, see the illustration.

Page: of 18 Previous TopicReplies: 258 / Views: 15,681Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05