Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hinges and pencils: Tools of convenience or weapons of mass destruction?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

Japan
7 Posts
Posted 12/06/2017   10:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add JPR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message
I assume no one would use hinges or write on the back of mint stamps. But what about used ones?

Does a little hinge mark or piece of hinge stuck to the back of a used stamp affect its value? How about writing the catalog number on the back? Bad idea?

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
2559 Posts
Posted 12/06/2017   10:43 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I use hinges on mint stamps.. Why ever not?

A hinge or hinge mark on a used stamp wouldn't affect the value unless it were irremoveable. Most stuff on the back of stamps comes off with a bath in luke-warm water. People have been writing catalogue numbers on the backs of stamps for a long time.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
212 Posts
Posted 12/06/2017   10:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wheelman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am willing to pay more for a lot of used stamps that has the number on the back. I still verify accuracy on anything that may have look alikes though.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
557 Posts
Posted 12/06/2017   10:52 am  Show Profile Check chris2015's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chris2015 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I use hinges on mint stamps.. Why ever not?

Because MNH stamps are valued higher than hinged stamps? So, you are purposely devaluing your stamps, in addition to reducing the overall pool of mint stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1071 Posts
Posted 12/06/2017   11:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, all of the C-3 "Inverted Jennies" were penciled on the back as to position. It doesn't seem to have hurt their value I would say.

Jack Kelley
Pillar Of The Community
United States
996 Posts
Posted 12/06/2017   11:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Over the weekend, at a show, I bought one of the US Bank Note issues. The dealer had it in a counter book identified as a higher priced item on hard paper. Inspecting it, there was a pencil mark on the back identifying it as a lower priced soft paper issue. Further examination showed the pencil mark to be correct. I saved $$$ but now have concerns about this dealer -- an innocent error or willful deception? I regard pencil marks applied by prior collectors or dealers as helpful hints. Sometimes they are right, sometimes they are wrong, but in this case it helped.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
2559 Posts
Posted 12/06/2017   12:08 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Chris - the question was about mint, not unmounted mint. And, as most stamps are worth a penny each and there are far too many of them, the "loss" is, in any case, incalculably small. Of course, it's an unmounted 1d black ...
Pillar Of The Community
United States
557 Posts
Posted 12/06/2017   1:38 pm  Show Profile Check chris2015's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chris2015 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Chris - the question was about mint, not unmounted mint.

Geoff,
Guess it's an issue regarding terminology. To me, "mint" means post office fresh (or coming from the 'mint') with full gum, no hinge marks, etc. I use the term "unused" to mean a stamp that has not been postally used, but could have no gum, hinged, etc. Those, of course, should not be a problem to hinge.

I never heard the term "unmounted mint"...guess it is the same as "mint-never-hinged" (MNH)?

Edited by chris2015 - 12/06/2017 1:39 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1071 Posts
Posted 12/06/2017   1:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Chris,

You are correct. Unmounted Mint - MNH. Mounted Mint - Mint Hinged.

And Geoff, I read the question same as you did.

Jack Kelley
Pillar Of The Community
United States
557 Posts
Posted 12/06/2017   1:53 pm  Show Profile Check chris2015's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chris2015 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry guys! I went back and reread the question and, yes, he's talking about used stamps, not mint.

My apologies Geoff, trying to multi-task while I'm at work
Pillar Of The Community
United States
625 Posts
Posted 12/06/2017   8:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The problem is that many of us have seen used stamps where someone pressed down hard and permanently gouged the number into the stamp. If you have trouble writing with or without a very soft pencil (which can smear), it's best not to even think about writing on the stamp back. Besides, as noted above, it might be already done for you. Plus, what happens if the catalog number changes?

Be aware that partial hinges and pencil marks can be used to hide faults. One problem is finding a stamp of value with a big semi-transparent hinge remnant. Sometimes that can hide a thin where someone did a bad job of partially peeling the hinge and stuck the hinge remnant back down.
Stamp Smarter's 20th Century US Fancy Cancel database:
http://www.stampsmarter.com/feature...rn_Home.html
Valued Member
Japan
7 Posts
Posted 12/08/2017   10:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JPR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm a little confused. Is everyone saying that it's perfectly okay to put a hinge on the back of a brand new, uncancelled stamp, with its gum intact??

Also, if I buy album sheets that have mint stamps hinged to them, what is the best way to remove them from the album?

Thanks?
Valued Member
United States
132 Posts
Posted 12/08/2017   10:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add svensson to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No...I think you are misreading, most would agree if it Mint and Never Hinged (MNH) you probably should not hinge it unless it is as common as dirt. It depends to some extent on what you are collecting...a MNH 18980s stamp I would not hinge, yesterday's issue...go right ahead. There is a recent thread on removing stamps from album pages using your tweezers. I think it is the "I inherited a collection..." threads. A place to start.
Valued Member
United States
132 Posts
Posted 12/08/2017   10:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add svensson to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Edit: Make that 1890's...fumble fingers here.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
557 Posts
Posted 12/08/2017   10:51 am  Show Profile Check chris2015's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chris2015 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm a little confused. Is everyone saying that it's perfectly okay to put a hinge on the back of a brand new, uncancelled stamp, with its gum intact??

Again, it's an issue with the term "mint" Some people take "mint" to simply mean "unused" unless you say "mint never hinged" or as Geoff put it "unmounted mint"

In my opinion, if a stamp is mint (meaning brand new with its gum intact and not previously hinged), then I would not put a hinge on it. I would put it into a mount or some kind of stock page or stock book.
Edited by chris2015 - 12/08/2017 10:51 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum TopicsRecently Active Forum Topics
  Need help in identifying this stamp
  Finally Completed My Basic Admirals Page
  One very confusing certificate description
  1c 1851 Plate 2 Stamps
  Portugal value Error??
  Is There Anything Notable About This Check Dated Sep 6, 1930 Other Than It's Age?
  Moroccan Locals and Maghzan Cachets
  Danish West Indies Christmas Seals
  A little bit of not seeing the forest for the trees, perhaps?
  Needing some help with Cancel on O49 Stamp
  Need Information about flag cancellation
  Guatemala- color variation or ??
  Found on the back of a 1941 Deutsches Reich cover...
  Error on "ENIGMA, GA" Precancel
  FS: 2017 Scott US Specialized Catalogue Lightly used $45 - shipping included
  I need help identifying this stamp and any history on it.
  Postcard Question - Are Unused Postcards of Any Philatelic Value?
  Japanese Almanac without revenue stamp circa 1900's?
  Victoria 1862/5: 2/- blue on greenish paper without wmk?
  Inheretied stamp collection, video via YouTube
  Help to identify a King George imperf stamp
  Victoria 1878 - is this the 1/2d pink?
  Inheretied stamp collection
  My Website Has Launched
  Porto Rico narcotic stamps?

Need help in identifying this stamp
  One very confusing certificate description
  1c 1851 Plate 2 Stamps
  Green Stamps
  The Stamps of Australia : On Steiner Pages.
  Postcard Question - Are Unused Postcards of Any Philatelic Value?
  The Stamps of Turkey : On Steiner Pages.
  Finally Completed My Basic Admirals Page
  Doves as Symbols of Peace
  Belgium Stamp with WWII German Cross Cancel?
  Not sure if this is an error
  Show us your Turkey's on stamps
  Need Information about flag cancellation
  Portugal value Error??
  Any speculation on 2018 issues?
  Victoria 1862/5: 2/- blue on greenish paper without wmk?
  War tax stamps with perfins
  Is There Anything Notable About This Check Dated Sep 6, 1930 Other Than It's Age?
  What Was in YOUR Mailbox Today??
  German Documents Reunited with Owner
  Sc 19 Cartier - I do not see any re-entries ??
  Monaco - Large Numeral Lozenge cancel 2387
  Food on Stamps!
  Austria : Stamps on Steiner pages.
  What Did You Do Philatelically: Today or Recently?

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.82 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05