Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Not sure if this is an error  

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
13 Posts
Posted 12/06/2017   6:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add MrQuestion to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message
I need help with a complete color missing and it has been used with a cancel. Is this considered Error or what? Where is its placement in my book or should I sell to feed my need cheers.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2545 Posts
Posted 12/06/2017   6:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Probably environmental fading (left in the sun too long), or other fading (soaked in warm water for too long). Since I see a small bit of the correct color in the lower right hand corner, it was probably exposed to the sun and the small bit was underneath another stamp or cover.

This is a Great Britain stamp.

I wouldn't plan my retirement party yet.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
13 Posts
Posted 12/06/2017   6:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MrQuestion to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would go for this but the cancel is over top of the yellow and the green
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2545 Posts
Posted 12/06/2017   7:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The cancel did not fade as much in the sun. The green ink faded much more, and that is what you are seeing. Sorry, but this actually means the stamp is an oddity, with no extra value.

You can see many other questions on this issue, and answers, including many examples, using the Search function.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
625 Posts
Posted 12/06/2017   7:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As it should be. But the cancel is made of a more fade-resistant and solvent-resistant ink to try to prevent cleaning off cancels. It doesn't necessarily completely protect what is underneath it. This issue and earlier Great Britain are susceptible to fading, commonly the green ink used. This stamp is just an extreme example of that. A key that it is not an error is that the green color is not completely missing.
Stamp Smarter's 20th Century US Fancy Cancel database:
http://www.stampsmarter.com/feature...rn_Home.html
Valued Member
United States
13 Posts
Posted 12/06/2017   7:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MrQuestion to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Reason I'm asking these questions is, I received this collection from the late Mendel L.Peterson. They have never been exposed to light I am the first one to touch these in over 30 years out of the box. Mendel was the Head Curator for the Smithsonian Institute so I am afraid im going to have to dismiss the sun or environment theory guys
Valued Member
United States
13 Posts
Posted 12/06/2017   7:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MrQuestion to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Also under high magnification digital microscope their is no residue of any green even in the fibers. Does this help more?
Edited by MrQuestion - 12/06/2017 7:30 pm
Pillar Of The Community
USA
612 Posts
Posted 12/06/2017   7:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kuhli to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
They have never been exposed to light I am the first one to touch these in over 30 years out of the box.

postmark dated 1928. that leaves almost 60 years of possible exposure.

Quote:
so I am afraid im going to have to dismiss the sun or environment theory

Quote:
no residue of any green even in the fibers

possibly chemical reaction (maybe bleached?)
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
2123 Posts
Posted 12/06/2017   7:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mr Question,

I'm afraid you are grasping at straws. The stamp has clearly changed colour through the action of sunlight and/or chemicals.

It doesn't matter if it has spent thirty years in a box away from sunlight. It had many decades to suffer this damage before going into the box.

Nigel
Valued Member
United States
13 Posts
Posted 12/06/2017   7:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MrQuestion to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe! wouldn't that have effected possibly the others inside the envelope that were touching it for those many years? What does the ink look like to you gents and how it just abruptly ends?
Learn More...
4025 Posts
Posted 12/06/2017   7:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I concur, a color changeling due to environmental factors.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
2123 Posts
Posted 12/06/2017   7:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mr Question, I have suggestion for you:

Why not take another damaged KGV halfpenny blue-green stamp still with its original colour (that you don't mind damaging further), place it in bright direct sunshine (preferably with one corner covered securely), and wait to see how long it takes for the colour to change?

Nigel
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4933 Posts
Posted 12/06/2017   7:54 pm  Show Profile Check stallzer's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The printing process alone should put to rest anything other than light exposure or chemical reaction. I'm sure if this were some type of freak stamp then surely the head curator for the Smithsonian would have some type of provenance for something this scarce or rare.

Pigments and dyes fade because light absorption and exposure to the air can slowly break down the chemicals that give them color. Generally the higher wavelength the absorbed light, the more likely it is to cause a pigment breakdown. This is because the energy of each photon in light is proportional to the wavelength (Energy of a photon = Planck's constant times wavelength). Blue dyes reflect higher visible wavelengths (not absorb) so are therefore likely to have a minor fade resistance advantage over red and green dyes.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2545 Posts
Posted 12/06/2017   8:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a direct link to a sun fading experiment done earlier this year. Half the stamp was covered while exposed to sunlight. It's pretty obvious what happened.

http://goscf.com/t/55281#483265
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5585 Posts
Posted 12/06/2017   11:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Other stamps in the envelope" lets me infer that Mr. Peterson had no particular love for that stamp. I concur with the environmental-damage opinions above.

But the bigger question is, what did you receive from Mr. Peterson that he clearly valued? That could be interesting to see. I hope you have more to show.
Valued Member
Turkey
156 Posts
Posted 12/07/2017   01:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mdroth to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well the fact that this came from the Smithsonian curator certainly makes this interesting, but that does not mean he was a serious stamp collector. Based on what's been described so far, it sounds like this may have been his childhood collection - that he never returned to??

So my questions - for Mr. Question! - are:

How did you come to acquire this collection?

What are your plans for it?

Is there anything sorted/presented properly in albums/pages etc? Please post pictures of other items of interest!
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum TopicsRecently Active Forum Topics
  Need help in identifying this stamp
  Finally Completed My Basic Admirals Page
  One very confusing certificate description
  1c 1851 Plate 2 Stamps
  Portugal value Error??
  Is There Anything Notable About This Check Dated Sep 6, 1930 Other Than It's Age?
  Moroccan Locals and Maghzan Cachets
  Danish West Indies Christmas Seals
  A little bit of not seeing the forest for the trees, perhaps?
  Needing some help with Cancel on O49 Stamp
  Need Information about flag cancellation
  Guatemala- color variation or ??
  Found on the back of a 1941 Deutsches Reich cover...
  Error on "ENIGMA, GA" Precancel
  FS: 2017 Scott US Specialized Catalogue Lightly used $45 - shipping included
  I need help identifying this stamp and any history on it.
  Postcard Question - Are Unused Postcards of Any Philatelic Value?
  Japanese Almanac without revenue stamp circa 1900's?
  Victoria 1862/5: 2/- blue on greenish paper without wmk?
  Inheretied stamp collection, video via YouTube
  Help to identify a King George imperf stamp
  Victoria 1878 - is this the 1/2d pink?
  Inheretied stamp collection
  My Website Has Launched
  Porto Rico narcotic stamps?

Need help in identifying this stamp
  One very confusing certificate description
  1c 1851 Plate 2 Stamps
  Green Stamps
  The Stamps of Australia : On Steiner Pages.
  Postcard Question - Are Unused Postcards of Any Philatelic Value?
  The Stamps of Turkey : On Steiner Pages.
  Finally Completed My Basic Admirals Page
  Doves as Symbols of Peace
  Belgium Stamp with WWII German Cross Cancel?
  Not sure if this is an error
  Show us your Turkey's on stamps
  Need Information about flag cancellation
  Portugal value Error??
  Any speculation on 2018 issues?
  Victoria 1862/5: 2/- blue on greenish paper without wmk?
  War tax stamps with perfins
  Is There Anything Notable About This Check Dated Sep 6, 1930 Other Than It's Age?
  What Was in YOUR Mailbox Today??
  German Documents Reunited with Owner
  Sc 19 Cartier - I do not see any re-entries ??
  Monaco - Large Numeral Lozenge cancel 2387
  Food on Stamps!
  Austria : Stamps on Steiner pages.
  What Did You Do Philatelically: Today or Recently?

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.51 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05