Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This Saudi Arabia 1916 Stamp Identified Correctly & Questions  

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
141 Posts
Posted 12/07/2017   03:24 am  Show Profile Check jchrisler's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add jchrisler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message
I have had to do some searching to come up with the identification for this stamp:

I did an image search, searched both active and completed listings on eBay and then came to this site where I finally found some useful information, here is the link to the thread where I found this stamp identified: http://goscf.com/t/6925&SearchTerms...,green,stamp

In this thread the stamp is identified by Knudson, here is what he said about it:

Quote:
Bottom left: October 1916 Saudi Arabia (Hejaz) L1 1/4pi green. Cat. $32.50. Forgeries are known to exist and it seems that the furthest number in sequence is a 4. The catalog image shows it as being a 6 from what I can see. Hang on to it but it's something that you may want to have authenticated.

I am wondering if anyone here knows anything more about this stamp. I cannot read it and I would like to know what it says. I also do not know the denomination, I would also like to know that. What is Hejaz?

I spent a lot of time trying to locate Saudi Arabia in the 2009 Scott that I have, the stamps that I found under Saudi Arabia started out in the 1970's and this is clearly an older stamp than that. Also scanned through United Arab Republic and could not find Saudi Arabia. If someone could point me in the right direction as to where to find the older Saudi Arabia stamps I would very much appreciate it. And I note, this is an early 2010 thread, not sure of the catalog value as my Scott predates this post.

OK, thank you for being here, I really appreciate this forum. Julie
Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
20703 Posts
Posted 12/07/2017   03:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Julie,
Hejaz, should be just at the beginning of Saudi Arabia in Scott, otherwise look at the back of Scott, for the Index.

The first stamps of the Hejaz (later Saudi Arabia) were
designed by Agami Effendi Ali, though Lawrence of Arabia is
said to have had a hand in the matter. This would explain the
fact that the intricate Islamic motifs which fill every part of the
surface were taken from mosques in Egypt or historic
manuscripts of the Qur'an, for Lawrence was a classical Islamic
scholar and a great admirer of Islamic art. The stamps were
typographed at the office of the Survey of Egypt, Cairo in
1916-17.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 12/07/2017 03:54 am
Valued Member
Turkey
156 Posts
Posted 12/07/2017   03:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mdroth to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you look in the back of your Scott catalog, you'll see an index to all the countries. If you're in the correct volume, it will tell you the page #. If it is in a different volume, it will tell you the vol #.

Saudi Arabia is in the 'S' section in Vol 5. It starts in 1916 - with your stamp!

It could be L1 or L5 - depending on the perfs. From your fuzzy picture, I would lean towards L5 - it looks like rouletted as opposed to perforated. There are some Saudi experts who will chime in.

The denomination is 1/4 piastre, and that is spelled out in Arabic letters.

The 4 Arabic numerals in the middle of the stamp, at the bottom of the central design, are the year - '1334' - in the Arabic calendar. (Not an expert, but I'll guess that translates to 1916!)
Valued Member
Turkey
156 Posts
Posted 12/07/2017   03:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mdroth to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The most important thing to know is that Rod is fast!

:)

The picture Rod posted is a perforated stamp - that would be L1.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
20703 Posts
Posted 12/07/2017   04:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
it looks like rouletted as opposed to perforated.

Well spotted, Michael,
I didn't see that.
"Saw tooth roulette" is seems.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
20703 Posts
Posted 12/07/2017   04:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Saw Tooth Roulette.

Line Roulette

Valued Member
United States
141 Posts
Posted 12/07/2017   04:41 am  Show Profile Check jchrisler's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jchrisler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank You both Rod and mdroth, thank you both for each of your replies. I wanted to fix the scan since mdroth said:

Quote:
From your fuzzy picture, I would lean towards L5

I hope this is better? It is the best I can do with the scan.

At any rate, I have some more research to do on this stamp based on what has been said by you two, thank you again for your help, and I apologize if I ask the same thing more than once, or I ask a question to which the answer is obvious - I have been having memory problems lately.

Thank you, Julie
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
2560 Posts
Posted 12/07/2017   04:48 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Hejaz, which includes Mecca and Medina, should properly seen as distinct from Saudi Arabia. It was the heart of the Arab Revolt against the Ottoman Empire, which Britain betrayed at Versailles by carving up Greater Syria into disastrously run protectorates in tandem with France. The basis of Saudi Arabia is the Nejd, to the east of the Hejaz, which was ruled by Ibn Saud, who conquered the Hejaz in 1925.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
20703 Posts
Posted 12/07/2017   04:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Apologies not needed Julie.
They are tricky stamps, but once seen, never forgotten.

TIP for future : Try a piece of Black Craft paper ("Postmaster" recently suggested a better type?) under the lid of the scanner.

Attach with "Blu Tak" or similar, your scans will appear clearer and the teeth defined.
Edited by rod222 - 12/07/2017 04:54 am
Valued Member
United States
141 Posts
Posted 12/07/2017   05:03 am  Show Profile Check jchrisler's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jchrisler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
mdroth said:

Quote:
it looks like rouletted as opposed to perforated.

I am not able to see this, to me it has the same type of edge as the other perforated stamps I have laying next to it - when I look at the edge under magnification it looks kind of rough though.

mdroth also said:

Quote:
If you look in the back of your Scott catalog, you'll see an index to all the countries.

Thank you so much for spelling this out for me, I am still learning this catalog of course, each day I discover something there in a section I did not know existed, or other such equally as nice surprises. (An aside, today I stumbled on the Common Design section where I found the Europa stamps I have been looking for, it was a most welcome discovery!)

I did go check out the index and am so happy to have found this also! It will be very useful to me from now on as I try to locate some of these, I have a batch of stamps that I don't know what they are and have no idea where to start - this index may be a good place.

And Rod, thank you for the article and for posting the samples, it is fabulous as always - it was very interesting, and I always enjoy reading and learning about history and background.

Thank you both again, Julie
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1887 Posts
Posted 12/07/2017   09:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have been having memory problems lately.

Well, you have assimilated a ton of information over the last month! Philately is a complicated hobby, an awful lot to learn.
One of the reasons this forum is such an asset.
Valued Member
United States
141 Posts
Posted 12/07/2017   6:18 pm  Show Profile Check jchrisler's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jchrisler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod said:

Quote:
TIP for future : Try a piece of Black Craft paper ("Postmaster" recently suggested a better type?) under the lid of the scanner. Attach with "Blu Tak" or similar, your scans will appear clearer and the teeth defined.

I will do this for the next scan I do, I can see where that would improve the picture. What I am not understanding is how you get the big scans of the stamps posted above to show in the forum or how you got the pictures into the forum uploader. I think I am pretty much at the upper limit at 600 - I am missing something - I can tell. Do you downgrade the resolution to make the image larger or something along those lines?

In the meantime, I can see the difference in the perf's in Rod's stamp and the perf's on the stamp I posted. I must agree with your observations about the edges of the stamp. So the stamp must be the L5, not the L1.

Thank you all for your patience with me, I was tired by the time I posted this question last night, I had spent the entire day hunkered down with the stamps to the exclusion of all else. Not sure why I could not find Saudi Arabia last night, it was frustrating, and when I went to look a second time, there it all was. Not sure how I messed it up the first time.

Thank you GeoffHa for giving me the historical background information on the Hejaz and the rest. I do appreciate and enjoy the history lesson aspect of philately very much.

And littleriverphil, I am so glad to have found this forum, I can't even begin to imagine what I would possibly be doing with these stamps otherwise. Thanks for reminding me that I haven't really been at this all that long yet.

Thanks all, Julie
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
20703 Posts
Posted 12/08/2017   04:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Julie,
I scan an Album page at 200dpi.
I scan a postage stamp at 600dpi.

They are then 'deskewed' by Postmaster's "Stamp Fix"
which brings them down to.............roughly

1 Page 350Kb
1 stamp 155 Kb - 212 Kb

I then use the SCF "free image optimiser" to bring all under 200 Kb so I can post here.

Sounds involved, but once mastered takes 25 seconds? (after the scan)

Valued Member
United States
141 Posts
Posted 12/08/2017   04:54 am  Show Profile Check jchrisler's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jchrisler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rod,

Thank you for explaining how you prep and post your images here on this forum. I will try to follow your steps, not sure how to control how many dpi I scan in initially, there may be a way and I just haven't noticed it before - I will look and give it a shot.

You also said:

Quote:
They are then 'deskewed' by Postmaster's "Stamp Fix"

I am not familiar with what is happening when you "deskew" a stamp? I use photoshop, should be able to do what is necessary to get a bigger scan posted - but am not sure what this step is about.

OK, thank you so very much for helping me, I do so appreciate it - you have been great ever since I showed up here, and I would like to thank you for it, I do appreciate each and every thing you have posted to help me out here in this forum and with organizing the stamps I am working on - I was only able to get them arranged and make some sense out of them after you showed what it is you use for your stamps, thank you for sharing so readily with all of us here, I for one have found it very, very helpful.

You take good care Rod, and thank you so much, Julie
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
20703 Posts
Posted 12/08/2017   05:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Julie,
you may have an "all in one scanner" I do not know how they work.

I use an Epson

see the option of "resolution" 600dpi

See the stamp is scanned at a wonky angle (skewed)

Deskewing automatically aligns the stamp square with the perforations

Valued Member
United States
141 Posts
Posted 12/08/2017   06:22 am  Show Profile Check jchrisler's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jchrisler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes Rod, I do have an all in one scanner, but it is an Epson also. I will look at it closer to see if I can find some settings where I can control the dpi of the scan, it is most likely there, I am just not that familiar with the scan program.

Thank you so much for explaining this all to me yet one more time, you are amazingly patient, thank you. Julie
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum TopicsRecently Active Forum Topics
  gotta love amateur certificates
  King Edward Error or not??
  Scott 1695 - This does not mke a lot of sense.
  Need help in identifying this stamp
  Finally Completed My Basic Admirals Page
  One very confusing certificate description
  1c 1851 Plate 2 Stamps
  Portugal value Error??
  Is There Anything Notable About This Check Dated Sep 6, 1930 Other Than It's Age?
  Moroccan Locals and Maghzan Cachets
  Danish West Indies Christmas Seals
  A little bit of not seeing the forest for the trees, perhaps?
  Needing some help with Cancel on O49 Stamp
  Need Information about flag cancellation
  Guatemala- color variation or ??
  Found on the back of a 1941 Deutsches Reich cover...
  Error on "ENIGMA, GA" Precancel
  FS: 2017 Scott US Specialized Catalogue Lightly used $45 - shipping included
  I need help identifying this stamp and any history on it.
  Postcard Question - Are Unused Postcards of Any Philatelic Value?
  Japanese Almanac without revenue stamp circa 1900's?
  Victoria 1862/5: 2/- blue on greenish paper without wmk?
  Inheretied stamp collection, video via YouTube
  Help to identify a King George imperf stamp
  Victoria 1878 - is this the 1/2d pink?

King Edward Error or not??
  The Stamps of Australia : On Steiner Pages.
  gotta love amateur certificates
  Postcard Question - Are Unused Postcards of Any Philatelic Value?
  Gotta LOVE THOSE DOGS!
  Traditional Costumes Worldwide
  Turkish, Arabic? Envelope with printed stamp in the middle?
  1c 1851 Plate 2 Stamps
  Needing some help with Cancel on O49 Stamp
  Which variety is this 1181 Runnymede Library stamp?!
  Monaco - Large Numeral Lozenge cancel 2387
  Finally Completed My Basic Admirals Page
  Show us your Turkey's on stamps
  One very confusing certificate description
  Whats in your Library?
  Corals and Coral Reefs Stamps
  Any speculation on 2018 issues?
  Scott 1695 - This does not mke a lot of sense.
  Need help in identifying this stamp
  Portugal value Error??
  Belgium Stamp with WWII German Cross Cancel?
  Not sure if this is an error
  Green Stamps
  The Stamps of Turkey : On Steiner Pages.
  Doves as Symbols of Peace

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05