Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Postcard Question - Are Unused Postcards Of Any Philatelic Value?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
212 Posts
Posted 12/10/2017   08:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jchrisler to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone,

I just acquired some older postcards in good condition that have not been used by sending through the mail. I am wondering if there is any philatelic value in these older postcards, although I am guessing there is not. I did want to double check here on this board to find out for sure - here is one of them from the Russian River area in Sonoma County, California:

I suspect there is no philatelic value since these have not gone through the mail. I also have some color postcards with native american indians (don't know what is PC term for native americans these days) in full ceremonial attire. There is a smallish box full of those and a bunch of other older unused postcards. Any reflections, information, or other useful feed back would be most appreciated. Thank you, Julie
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1269 Posts
Posted 12/10/2017   08:45 am  Show Profile Check CanadaStamp's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CanadaStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Postcard collecting is BIG - and it has, I would guess - thousands of participants in North America. There's even a name for the hobby but can't recall it. But philatelic - no. Now postal cards - used or unused - is a different thing. What you have BTW is a RPPC - a Real Photo Post Card - and this is a VERY popular domain.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by CanadaStamp - 12/10/2017 09:03 am
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1313 Posts
Posted 12/10/2017   08:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 22crows to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Deltiology is the word you're looking for - the collection and study of picture postcards.
Valued Member
United States
212 Posts
Posted 12/10/2017   09:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jchrisler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to both CanadaStamp and 22Crows for your swift responses to my question.

CanadaStamp said:
Quote:
Now postal cards - used or unused - is a different thing.

I am new to all this terminology, what is the difference between a postcard and a postal card?

And thank you so much 22crows for this, I have learned a new word very early in the morning, thank you!

Quote:
Deltiology is the word you're looking for - the collection and study of picture postcards.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1269 Posts
Posted 12/10/2017   09:05 am  Show Profile Check CanadaStamp's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CanadaStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Postal card" issued by a national post office. "Post card" - a commercial, non government product. I'm not sure this is in the official lexicons but it is generally accepted.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2239 Posts
Posted 12/10/2017   09:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Real Photo post cards especially like the Duncan Mills Card you show are quite collectable and you will find a good market for them.
Now, if you have some of those cards used from Mendocino or Humboldt counties, we'll talk!
Valued Member
United States
212 Posts
Posted 12/10/2017   11:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jchrisler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
"Postal card" issued by a national post office. "Post card" - a commercial, non government product.

Thank you CanadaStamp for explaining the difference to me, I appreciate it!

Quote:
Now, if you have some of those cards used from Mendocino or Humboldt counties, we'll talk!

The geographic ones all seem to be from Sonoma county, the only thing I have around here from those two counties is myself, was born in Arcata, and spent every summer at my grandmother's in Ft Bragg as a child - have not been up there (maybe now that I am where I am at now, it would be over there) in many, many years, would like to revisit sometime. :)

Thanks, Julie

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4572 Posts
Posted 12/10/2017   12:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
All unused postcards have some value. However, an unused one would be of more value to a deltiologist more so than a philatelist or postal historian due to lacking a postmark and / or stamp(s).

Chimo

Bujutsu
Valued Member
United States
212 Posts
Posted 12/11/2017   01:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jchrisler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Bujutsu for clarifying about the deltiologist for me, I do appreciate it.

In the meantime CanadaStamp, you said:

Quote:
What you have BTW is a RPPC - a Real Photo Post Card - and this is a VERY popular domain.

Thank you so much, I just had a look at the RPPC post cards on eBay and almost fell out of my chair! I cannot believe the prices I am seeing, I am amazed. Thank you for your help today, Julie
Valued Member
United States
212 Posts
Posted 12/11/2017   06:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jchrisler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I must correct the information in this thread as it had me confused and wondering what was going on with the prices for these types of cards. I went to this website: http://www.playle.com/realphoto/

On the front page of the website is this blurb:

Quote:
There is some confusion on what Real Photo Postcards (RPPC) are, and how to differentiate from a printed postcard. Real Photo Postcards are photographs that are reproduced by actually developing them onto photographic paper the size and weight of Postcards, with a Postcard back. There are many Postcards that reproduce photos by various printing methods that are NOT "real photos"...the same methods used when reproducing photos in magazines and newspapers. The best way to tell the difference is to look at the Postcard with a magnifying glass. If the photo is printed, you will see that it is made up of a lot of little dots, the same as a photo printed in a newspaper. A Real Photo Postcard is solid, no dots.

So, the post card that I scanned in at the beginning of this thread is not an RPPC - when looking at the photo portion of the card you can see the dots that make up the image - I have another post card here that is an rppc - and there really are not any dots on the image under magnification on those particular post cards.

So, I did not strike oil with these post cards either, but it sure is fun learning about this stuff - keeps the brain active and senility at bay I am hoping :) Julie
Valued Member
United States
80 Posts
Posted 12/11/2017   10:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Arrows2Atoms to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have several unmailed real photo postcards in a county post office exhibit. Since my material is very thin for some offices, a related RPPC, while unmailed, is a nice addition and really helps the exhibit come to life.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
654 Posts
Posted 12/11/2017   12:02 pm  Show Profile Check orstampman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add orstampman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a lot of memories going to places like your pictured post card, and to Mendocino, Ft. Bragg, etc. as well. Even though these unused post cards aren't postal history, they are, as mentioned, quite collectible and fun to look at.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
26487 Posts
Posted 12/11/2017   4:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So, I did not strike oil with these post cards either, but it sure is fun learning about this stuff

Agreed.

There also exist, forged postcards, I found some in a suitcase of stamps I once bought, the picture, stamp and postmark all copied.
Probably sold to tourists somewhere.
I recall one of the Titanic, dashed if I can find it in my database.

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
26487 Posts
Posted 12/11/2017   5:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Found them.
I had them logged under "Faux", I have renamed them.

These are forged Postcards.

Valued Member
United States
212 Posts
Posted 12/11/2017   10:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jchrisler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow Rod, that is simply amazing, the post card and everything about it looks so authentic. How in the world do you tell if a post card is forged? Or a stamp or post mark? How do you even get suspicious? Is because something just isn't striking you right? I am just amazed at this, you are like Sherlock Holmes Rod!

Oh, I do like the card though, even if it is forged - I did not know the Titanic had a sister ship - or did it, was the Olympic ever built? Or is the whole thing, including a sister ship, just bogus? I guess it always boils down to doing one's due diligence and researching thoroughly. Thank you so much for the post Rod - I enjoyed it very much, Julie :)
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
26487 Posts
Posted 12/12/2017   03:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Hi Julie,
at the beginning, it's just a gut feeling, but more than that, if it were a real Titanic postcard, it would be immensely valuable.

The cards just had a pale aura about them.

So under the scanner it went, The old scanner reveals beauty up close and personal.

Here's a guess: Perhaps these were ephemera that attended promotions of the Titanic Movie? or a display of some sort? who knows.

Here is the result..........

Edited by rod222 - 12/12/2017 03:29 am
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.06 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05