Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Postcard Question - Are Unused Postcards Of Any Philatelic Value?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
212 Posts
Posted 12/17/2017   11:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jchrisler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Little River Phil,

You said:
Quote:
William's # MRN-3200 was in use from 15 Feb 1906 to 15 Apr 1911

I am not sure what the william's # mrn-3200 is? Is it the postmark? The stamper (forgive me, I don't know what it is called) used to make the post mark? Since you have given it a date range I am thinking it is the gizmo used to make the cancellation mark.

You also said:
Quote:
The Santa Rosa CDS is SON-4750. Good News! The Earliest Known Use is 22 Jan 1909 The LKU (Latest Known Use) is 5 Jan 1911.

Gee, I am not sure how you are deriving the number SON-4750 from the postmark on the card? I thank you for giving me the information but it isn't making much sense to me at this point in time. It is looking like the post marks are part of the mix, and I know absolutely nothing about them. Time to roll up the sleeves and try to figure it out I guess then. Thank you Little River Phil for the great information. I will use the numbers when I list this card, just am not sure when I will do that. I am going to have to understand a little better before I haul off listing the cards, I am still too green about the ears. Thank you for your help
Julie

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2239 Posts
Posted 12/18/2017   08:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Julie,
The numbers I mentioned are the catalogue numbers of those postmarks. The "catalogue" I'm referring to is the two volume work by John H. Williams, California Town Postmarks from 1850 to 1935, a massive 1468 8.5" x 11 pages that contains tracings of every known town postmark of all 53 counties.
The catalogue prefixs are abbreviations of the County name; SON= Sonoma, MRN=Marin, MEN= Mendocino, HUM=Humboldt
It includes their known use dates. Your card is dated Sept 12 1908, almost 4 months before the published known date of Jan 22 1909.
If you have more question, feel free to email me.
Valued Member
United States
212 Posts
Posted 12/18/2017   2:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jchrisler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi LittleRiverPhil,

Thank you so much for explaining that to me, I am just floored that someone has compiled all the known town postmarks in California, that is one heck of a lot of postmarks. I am thinking there must be a book like that for every state? It is mind boggling to me, just mind boggling. Thank you so much for the information on the card, I am frankly not listing it yet, I still need to feel comfortable with it, and as of yet I do not, I must know more! Thank you so much for responding to this, Julie
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2239 Posts
Posted 12/18/2017   5:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is Richard Helbock's United States Post Offices in 8 parts that lists every post office in every state, but he gives the opening date, a closing date, if the office did close, and a rather loose (IMO) rarity factor. An open office is Zero.
There are also several state listings. But no other book I know of shows each post mark.

It was a huge project, John Williams and the Western Cover Society ran the project for years in the Societies journal Western Express He had a copier in his VW van, A collector would mention a postmark John hadn't seen, he'd go see it. Lived is Sebastopol, California, 8 miles west of Santa Rosa.
Edited by littleriverphil - 12/18/2017 5:44 pm
Valued Member
United States
212 Posts
Posted 12/19/2017   12:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jchrisler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Littleriverphil said:

Quote:
John Williams and the Western Cover Society ran the project for years in the Societies journal Western Express He had a copier in his VW van, A collector would mention a postmark John hadn't seen, he'd go see it. Lived is Sebastopol, California, 8 miles west of Santa Rosa.

Ah, I know Sebastopol well, my old stomping grounds. This John Williams really had to be dedicated to what he was doing to have a copier in his VW and to travel all over the place to see the different post marks. It is amazing to me that someone would do that! Thanks for telling me about it LittleRiverPhil.

Julie
Valued Member
Ireland
150 Posts
Posted 12/19/2017   06:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FitzjamesHorse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think they CAN be useful to stamp collectors. Fifty years ago as a young collector, all the advice was about "writing" up a collection and certainly postcards that feature (say) a statue of a person who appears on a stamp can be a nice addition. Around 35 years ago, I started collecting modern unused Irish cards and I now have about 1,800 but I emphasise that it is a secondary hobby to my stamp collecting.
I always try and think ahead and buy postcards which will be relevant when a stamp is issued. For example, I have unused postcards of Martin Luther King and Nelson Mandela which can be posted with the appropriate stamps in 2018 and I bought several Che Guevara postcards in anticipation of the 2017 stamp.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3686 Posts
Posted 12/19/2017   12:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Matching the postcard & the stamp & the postmark creates a "maxicard", the creation & collecting of which would be "maximaphily".

I prefer the amateur creations, but some postal agencies (esp European) issue the things regularly.

http://goscf.com/t/35617 ... the one I post to

http://goscf.com/t/19395 ... the one I, well, don't post to

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Valued Member
Ireland
150 Posts
Posted 12/19/2017   4:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FitzjamesHorse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I never really liked maxicards. They are a bit contrived.
I prefer to produce my own.
Valued Member
United States
212 Posts
Posted 12/19/2017   8:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jchrisler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The maxicards are a nice idea, sounds like both IkeyPikey and FitzjamesHorse both feel the same about them - that they prefer the amateur creations to the maxicards issued by a post office. Sounds like a nice idea, maybe some day I will look into it a bit further and try to make some, although it sounds like it takes some thought and coordination to make your own, nothing wrong with that though. So, it does sound like an unused post card can be used to create philatelic value...in more than one way. Thanks for opening my eyes just a bit more, Julie
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
554 Posts
Posted 12/20/2017   03:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add YeaPolska to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One important element about maximum cards is that all three components, stamp, card, cancel, have to be related to one another.

This card & stamp illustrate the Soviet cosmonaut Vladimir Komarov, but the cancel commemorates a parachute meet which has nothing to do with Komarov (other than the fact that the reason he died is that his return capsules' parachute failed to deploy), hence this is not a true maximum card.

This card, however, has all three elements related.

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
26487 Posts
Posted 12/20/2017   03:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Further reading.

http://goscf.com/t/10723
Edited by rod222 - 12/20/2017 03:47 am
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
554 Posts
Posted 12/20/2017   09:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add YeaPolska to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a Real Photo Post Card from WWI picturing a German soldier. The paper has dried out somewhat, brittle & curling around the egdes.

It is dated Jan 20 1915 from Warthelager which was a large German military training area during WWI in the Poznan district. Annexed to Poland after the war it was renamed Biedrusko & is still used by the Polish army for training purposes.

Valued Member
United States
12 Posts
Posted 01/18/2019   8:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PhilPhil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The original question on this topic was whether postcards have philatelic value. My first philatelic exhibition (at a World Series of Philately judged event) consisted solely of real photo postcards of a place near my home. Many of my cards were unused, a few were used. I only showed the picture side. The exhibit scored a vermeil medal. Yes, postcards can have philatelic value.

Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05