Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1c 1851 Plate 2 Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 155 / Views: 12,413Next Topic
Page: of 11
Pillar Of The Community
United States
722 Posts
Posted 09/07/2020   12:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are several clues on the adjoining stamp. I copied the right side of a 77R2 from Siegel below and indicated areas I believe help make the determination of 78R2. Areas of highlighted right border and gaps in the border. Marks to the right of ornament R and in the right plume and finally the dot below the right plume. All match up well on the partial stamp on the left of yours.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6115 Posts
Posted 09/07/2020   2:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
stallzer - I agree with dudley!

Thanks Dudley & Caper. Only about 8-10 left to identify.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1373 Posts
Posted 09/07/2020   5:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The diagonal line extending SW of the guide dot (which belongs to 68R2) on widglo's stamp is really all that's needed to plate it. I look at spacing and alignment only after determining that there are no clear giveaways like this one.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
148 Posts
Posted 09/11/2020   1:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add widglo46 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have another #7 that I've tried to plate. I think it is Position 14L2, based on the guide dots and the large break in the dark frame at the top extending right. Any expert who can correct or confirm would be great.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2241 Posts
Posted 09/11/2020   3:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
14L2 is correct.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6115 Posts
Posted 10/21/2020   10:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Anyone like 16R2?

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2241 Posts
Posted 10/21/2020   10:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi stallzer, your stamp is a B relief.
That position is an A relief.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
148 Posts
Posted 10/22/2020   05:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add widglo46 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
txstamp - Thanks for all the plating help. I know that each of these can take considerable time and effort.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6115 Posts
Posted 10/22/2020   08:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That position is an A relief.

Thanks TX. You''d think I've gotten far enough along to figure out the reliefs first, apparently not.... Back to the drawing board.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
722 Posts
Posted 10/22/2020   09:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stallzer, I'm sure you have, but you might check out 49R2 again. Seems like a pretty good match.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6115 Posts
Posted 10/25/2020   09:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Caper. Both Neinken and Doporto show a consistent plating mark in the "O" of the word one which is absent on mine.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2241 Posts
Posted 10/25/2020   11:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The dot at UR on 49R2 isn't there, unless the scan is obscuring it.

9R column pl 2 stamps tend to have that UR dot, and its consistent.

There is something there on yours, but in the wrong place for 49R and its blurry...
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6115 Posts
Posted 10/25/2020   11:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
2400 DPI scan. Hoping it's better

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2241 Posts
Posted 10/25/2020   1:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Its 29R2.
Valued Member
United States
80 Posts
Posted 10/25/2020   1:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Njs900 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
29R2 fits -- double dot at UR, marks in O and N of one, completeness at left, dot etc.

The problem with the scans is not 1200 vs. 2400 dpi but that it is then reduced to 200kb for this site. Sending a good 1200 dpi scan to each other solves this.

Page: of 11 Previous TopicReplies: 155 / Views: 12,413Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05