Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1c 1851 Plate 2 Stamps

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 190 / Views: 17,098Next Topic
Page: of 13
Pillar Of The Community
United States
865 Posts
Posted 03/22/2022   12:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
stallzer - difficult stamp to plate, made more so by the blue colored cancel. Give 47L a look also as well as the top of 57L which looks a lot like the top of the stamp below in your scan.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2567 Posts
Posted 04/25/2022   5:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Since I'm thinking about the sale of Dick Celler's remainder material at Rumsey this past week, I thought I'd post Dick's former 99R2, Scott #8 that I obtained last year.

99R2 is a Ty III, with top and bottom lines cleanly broken, with the massive right side double transfer.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1609 Posts
Posted 04/25/2022   6:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Gorgeous.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2567 Posts
Posted 04/28/2022   1:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Posting a couple more of Dick Celler's stamps that I obtained last year.

Position 100R2 is a really interesting plate position. It is a bottom-row (misplaced) A relief.

We had a discussion on it here, previously -
http://goscf.com/t/58151#508483

Here are two copies of it that Dick had. Note the 11th row effect, where you can see the top of the B relief in the bottom margin, from the over-rocking of the transfer roll. It is very visible on the pen-cancelled stamp. The stamp with the New York CDS, is ex-Wagshal, and was lot 940 in his Siegel sale 994.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2567 Posts
Posted 05/13/2022   10:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1058 Posts
Posted 05/23/2022   06:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This one has all the markings for 60L2 but I could not find anything to match the marks in the two "S"s in "US POSTAGE". I even checked plates one and three. Any ideas"

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
357 Posts
Posted 05/23/2022   07:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add widglo46 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
jaxom100 - I looks to me that your stamp is lower than the one to its left. If so, it can't be from the left pane of plate 2.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1609 Posts
Posted 05/23/2022   10:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sometimes you find extraneous ink marks that look like consistent plating marks but in fact are not.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
357 Posts
Posted 05/23/2022   10:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add widglo46 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
jaxom100 - On closer look, I can't really say your stamp in lower than the one to its left. The little bit of ink that I see could be even with the ornament on your stamp. The diagram in Neinken's book shows column 10 higher than column 9 on plate 2, but his diagram exaggerates exactly how much higher. I think 20L2 may be a match. Yours shares the same plate marks in the RLC ast Doporto's, and the incompleteness of ornament "H" is also the same as 20L2.
Valued Member
United States
103 Posts
Posted 05/23/2022   11:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Njs900 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Dudley and with 60L2. The marks opposite Franklin's nose are perfectly consistent with a reference scan that I have for 60L2 and it matches my copy in other respects.
Page: of 13 Previous TopicReplies: 190 / Views: 17,098Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05