Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1c 1851 Plate 2 Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 192 / Views: 18,401Next Topic
Page: of 13
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2568 Posts
Posted 01/03/2018   12:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The pair is Ty IV #9, recut once at top and bottom.

It is position 45-46L1L.

This is an early impression so the crack does not show on 46L.

The US markings on 45L are quite readily visible, as are the shapes of the recuts at top, particularly 46L with its odd top recut.

Sometimes it can be a bit difficult to decide if a stamp is recut or not, but not here. The recuts are pretty easily visible at top. The thing that you have to get used to, is the fact that plate 1 was in use from 1851 until 1857. The recut/re-entered 1L plate started showing up around June 1852 if I recall, and it changed its appearance significantly over time due to: plate wear, cleaning, different inks. Recuts show up much more readily to the eye on later impressions. On earlier impressions, such as this, the fine lines in the bust had not worn out as much, and therefore, there is not as much of a visible contrast between them and the recut areas, so the recuts don't stand out so much. On late impressions, the finer, shallower lines wore out, and become whiter, while the recut lines, which are deeper, now stand out plainly. You just have to get used to looking at different impressions over time, and what the recuts at each point in time look like. Once you know, they aren't usually too hard to recognize. Occasionally, one can be a stumper, however, admittedly.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1078 Posts
Posted 01/03/2018   12:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Tx. I was having a hard time with that pair. They were sold to me as a #7 pair. I thought the details were too sharp to be a type IV. And with the plate scratches between the two stamps.....

I got a new type II the other day that seems to have a different kind of paper. It feels real thick and the paper is brownish in color. The only other paper talked about was thin paper. Maybe it is my imagination but it sure seems thick and strange.

Edited by jaxom100 - 01/04/2018 11:36 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1078 Posts
Posted 01/08/2018   08:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think I have located the plate position for my brownish Franklin.
I know it is an 9th row position because it is relief B with a relief B stamp below and shows the A relief dingle.
The best fit I found was 82L2. It does seem to have the one plating mark listed.

Valued Member
United States
103 Posts
Posted 01/13/2018   4:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Njs900 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This does match my 82L2 including the blurs on 92L2 below.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1078 Posts
Posted 03/11/2018   9:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was gathering plate 2 photos when I ran across this one. Siegel called it 70R2 from the Vogel Collection. I disagree and think it is 90R2 but I hate questioning and changing plate position from such a well-known collection. Can someone tell me if I am correct in calling this a 90R2?

Valued Member
United States
103 Posts
Posted 03/11/2018   11:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Njs900 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well done Jaxon it is 90R2. The guide line at right is correct for 90R2 but not for 70R2. The dots at L on 89R2 are a giveaway. Perhaps the fact that the stamp below is an A relief caused the error, but 100R2 is an A relief.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1078 Posts
Posted 03/12/2018   01:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Njs900. It just did not match my other photo of 70R2 and it made me suspicious. I will change the numbers on the photos to correct the plate position. I am trying to keep an eye out for plating errors as I log the photos in the database. It is coming along slowly. I am also working the guide dot charts for plate 2 as I go along.
Edited by jaxom100 - 03/12/2018 01:07 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
894 Posts
Posted 03/12/2018   1:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
jaxom100 - looking forward to the finished product!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1078 Posts
Posted 03/12/2018   8:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am working hard on the project. Some of it is available such as the database. Plates 1E, 1L, 11, 12 have data. Working on plate 2.

http://www.stampsmarter.com/feature...Plating.html

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2568 Posts
Posted 03/13/2018   10:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
jaxom - nice going with the plating project. It takes someone with both the time and the energy to do something like that. It looks like what you are working on will be very useful to many.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1078 Posts
Posted 03/18/2018   1:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I found another plating error in the Vogel collection on Siegel. Sale #998 lot 326 indicates 4L2. It is not even close to that. I plated it at 6R2. I matched it with lot 310 in the same sale and it was clearly the same position. I guess mistakes happen. As long as I keep finding them, I am OK.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2568 Posts
Posted 03/18/2018   3:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There were quite a few plating errors from the Vogel sale, including one item that I bought.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1078 Posts
Posted 03/25/2018   10:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Guys, I need help finding images of three stamps showing the guide dots to complete my plate 2 charts. I need positions 29L2, 45L2 and 46L2. At this point, I will take any resolution copy but prefer around 600dpi. If you have one of these three, please post a picture that I can use.

The right pane guide dot chart is complete, finally.
Someone has to have a copy of these positions somewhere.
Edited by jaxom100 - 03/26/2018 3:10 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1078 Posts
Posted 03/26/2018   9:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I got the photos that I needed to complete the plate 2 guide dot charts.
Thanks NJS.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1078 Posts
Posted 03/27/2018   3:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Plate 2 guide dot charts are complete and uploaded to the website.
Let me know if anyone finds any errors or has any comments.
Here is the link.

http://www.stampsmarter.com/feature...IDEDOTS.HTML

Edited by jaxom100 - 03/27/2018 3:22 pm
Page: of 13 Previous TopicReplies: 192 / Views: 18,401Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05