Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1c 1851 Plate 2 Stamps

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5693 Posts
Posted 10/12/2019   9:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Won this one in a local auction. It came with a Doporto cert stating A relief, type II, position 71R2. I'm not seeing the match?

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1743 Posts
Posted 10/13/2019   1:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Back pain has been limiting my ability to focus long on anything lately, but a quick look says it certainly is an A relief. Top left ornament & LR plume agree for that.
Overall appearance certainly would have me starting my elimination with plate 2.
Also, plate 2 didn't have a centerline, so right pane positions are definitely in play - which would include 71R2.
If I start feeling better, at some point I'll take a closer look.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1187 Posts
Posted 10/13/2019   4:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do not see the plating marks indicated for this position in the Doporto archive either, but he may have based his plating on the position and shape of the guide dot seen at the UL. Hard to tell from the photo.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5693 Posts
Posted 10/13/2019   5:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
TXstamp, I hope you're feeling better soon. As one that has dealt with back issues I sympathize with any back pain sufferer. For what it's worth here is the Doporto cert. Not that I question him in any way but I always scan and compare to see what the certifying agency saw. I'm just not seeing the marks that are shown on his archive or in the Neinken diagrams.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1743 Posts
Posted 10/13/2019   6:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The good news on this one is the only possibilities on plate 2 are:
11L, 71L - imprint would be visible on 31, 51
11R, 31R, 51R, 71R

plate 3:
11L, 71L
can't be right pane due to centerline
71L3 if memory serves has cracks which would be visible.

So the way to plate this then is to eliminate the few other possibilities.

stallzer: thanks. It's been a rough stretch
Edited by txstamp - 10/13/2019 6:09 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1743 Posts
Posted 10/14/2019   1:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well lets see how much plating I can do of this without even looking at the position ....I realized I can further narrow down and eliminate 11L2, 11R2, 11L3 because of the guide dot at upper left in the margin.
I eliminated 71L3, due to cracks - I recall having a couple copies of that position.

That leaves the following positions:
31R2, 51R2, 71R2 and 71L2

So, that's all you have to look at. One of those is on the Doporto cert. Doporto certs are pretty accurate, and based upon my high level analysis here, I suspect it will be correct. I understand your desire to know how it was figured out. So, I've answered at least part of that - in getting you to 4 positions.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2094 Posts
Posted 10/14/2019   7:51 pm  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The plating is accurate on Doporto certs but beware of faults that don't make it onto the certificate. It isn't like they are never mentioned, there is just a lack of consistency. I have said it before and I only mention it again because of a very annoying recent transaction where I was squarely between a rock and a hard spot regarding a return.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1743 Posts
Posted 10/14/2019   7:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Winston, I'm glad you mentioned that as I should have clarified that my comment only applied to the plating reported on the cert.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2094 Posts
Posted 10/14/2019   8:00 pm  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I kind of knew what you meant.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5693 Posts
Posted 10/16/2019   6:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all. I'm sure the cert is correct but I couldn't connect the dots. Tx, I'm sure the plating was done exactly how you drew it out by process of elimination.
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05