Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Treasure Chest Of Stamps From Champion Stamp Co.?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
750 Posts
Posted 12/29/2017   7:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add chris2015 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience buying stamp lots from Champion Stamp Co. in New York? They sell custom "treasure chest" lots of stamps, for example min. cat. value $500 for $99.95 or min. cat. value $1000 for $190, etc.

Just wondering if any have any experience with these?

Thanks!

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2662 Posts
Posted 12/29/2017   7:58 pm  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, back in the 1990's. It wasn't worth it in my opinion. You can do better at a show or auction where you can at least see all or part of the material up front.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
904 Posts
Posted 12/29/2017   9:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would not buy anything blind like that. I like to see what I am getting and know I need it rather than something that I cannot use.

No thanks, I will pick my own stamps.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
4381 Posts
Posted 12/29/2017   9:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with the others ,doesn't sound like a good deal . Shop around and see what your getting first .
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4430 Posts
Posted 12/30/2017   02:02 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The $500 or $1,000 CV would be a worry for me. I have a bulging stock-book of US stamps on my kitchen table at present, in preparation for sale on eBay. Nominal CV is doubtless considerable, but, in reality, it's crammed with penny stamps - which is what most stamps are.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1326 Posts
Posted 12/30/2017   02:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've been in their store. They have a HUGE stock of very overpriced sets and singles stored in hundreds of stock books. So they aren't lazy about working up stock into small units. If Champion comes across anything of real value, it would go into the counter books, not the Treasure Chests.
Pillar Of The Community
1515 Posts
Posted 12/30/2017   06:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jenny2U to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I used to go in their store when I visited a friend in New York who was postal history dealer. Their stock has been cherry picked many times over and it's doubtful that there's any treasure in those treasure boxes. I'd rather spend the money on buying better sets instead of gambling on finding anything good in a box of typical mixture material.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1155 Posts
Posted 12/30/2017   07:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampman2002 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It depends upon what you are looking for in such a lot. If you are looking for a lot of stamps to fly speck or for odd cancels, it might be something to consider. Personally, I would not be interested in such a lot, as I'm at the point where the likelihood I would find anything useful to me is pretty slim.

If you just like the thrill of the hunt, I'd recommend bidding on collections/accumulations at auction rather than going this route.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1667 Posts
Posted 12/30/2017   08:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Chris,

I bought from them once and was awfully disappointed.

Jack Kelley
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4381 Posts
Posted 12/30/2017   08:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
WAIT A MINUTE ----CHAMPION STAMPS of New York City with A&D STAMPS of California both have the biggest stamp inventory available to the retail customer in the U.S. .It is not difficult to understand their business model to maintain such a large impressive inventory .
They have to buy many larger collection to build their inventory. This results in lots of duplicates of the more common stamps and lots of stuff that doesn't fit their inventory like broken sets ,sets that are mixed mint and used ,heavy hinged material, stamps that are over cataloged and stamps that have faults .All this type of material accumulates fast when your buying stamp inventory .

So what are you getting for the 1/5 catalog ? Your getting all the stuff that doesn't fit their huge inventory, like the broken sets and common material and other stuff mentioned above .This material is great for someone filling album pages or filling stock books with high price stamps .

So it depends on the collector and what his interest.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
750 Posts
Posted 12/30/2017   08:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chris2015 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to everyone for their comments!

Quote:
If you just like the thrill of the hunt, I'd recommend bidding on collections/accumulations at auction rather than going this route.

Perhaps I will start going this route rather than buying blindly.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05