Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Opinions on Sherlock Watermark Detector  

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Learn More...

United States
486 Posts
Posted 01/10/2018   10:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add dkabq8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1006 Posts
Posted 01/10/2018   11:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I also got the email from Subway about this device and was curious about it.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
176 Posts
Posted 01/11/2018   12:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add archerg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
$260 bucks?! <<choking sound>> for some LED lights and a plastic box... doesn't even take a picture. No UV or near-UV LEDs for tagging either... I am skeptical, but I have never used one of these boxes.

Elementary - my old glass ashtray and watermark fluid will have to suffice.
Edited by archerg - 01/11/2018 01:36 am
Valued Member
Australia
60 Posts
Posted 01/11/2018   01:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Buddahboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Expensive glorified light box.

Cheaper option and works well look up on eBay Tri test Counterfeit banknote checker designed to show watermarks on thick banknotes and even has a uv light for phosphor. mine was about $36 Australian delivered.
best purchase I have ever made.

Was a big lighter fluid fan but sorting through bulk stamps not practical and time consuming
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
23607 Posts
Posted 01/11/2018   02:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Tri test Counterfeit banknote checker

Thank you.
I shall purchase one.

Pillar Of The Community
Germany
907 Posts
Posted 01/11/2018   05:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamperix to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I always use and recommend SAFE Signoscope T1. The important thing about is:
- only use low light
- use the foils that SAFE delivers (at least they sent me many of them for free)

I never had good results until I used the foils (mainly one of them, below the stamp). I nearly never use watermark fluid anymore.

Sometimes you get a T1 used at eBay.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
23607 Posts
Posted 01/11/2018   05:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1880 Posts
Posted 01/11/2018   07:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I got the Subway email too and always looking for an excuse to buy a new tool.
Al
Edited by angore - 01/11/2018 07:07 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1351 Posts
Posted 01/11/2018   08:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just put the Tri test Counterfeit banknote checker on my watch list. The watermark detector appears to merely be powerful LED's. Unsure as to whether the UV is long or short wave. Buddahboy? About $20-$25.

Jack Kelley
Learn More...
United States
4619 Posts
Posted 01/11/2018   08:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kirks to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I searched eBay for "TRI TEST COUNTERFEIT BANKNOTE CHECKER" and got zero hits?

But I did find this on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Products-Ult...p/B0053WS46C

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1351 Posts
Posted 01/11/2018   4:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well,

I ordered the Tri test Counterfeit banknote checker. $20- Amazon. Not much of a loss of it is ineffective. Good investment if it detects phosphers on my UK stamps.

kirks, try again using tri-test checker.

Jack Kelley
Learn More...
United States
4619 Posts
Posted 01/11/2018   7:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kirks to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
OK, but please let us know your feedback on the one from Amazon.

Valued Member
United States
218 Posts
Posted 01/12/2018   08:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add svensson to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, please do jack. I seem to have a problem easily seeing common watermarks, but I don't think a $300 solution is in the cards for me.
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
907 Posts
Posted 01/12/2018   09:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamperix to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I also wouldn't pay that I payed something about 80 EUR used but perfect condition. Appears used on eBay frequently, but Australia may be a problem of shipping, US also, but less.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
306 Posts
Posted 01/12/2018   10:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ddreisba to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I bought something that looks very similar, but for a lot less money. It sort of works. I've goe back to watermark fluid.

Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1351 Posts
Posted 01/15/2018   2:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Kirks and others,

Received my Tri test Counterfeit banknote checker today. Amazon. Quick. I will let you know how well (or not) it works once I find three "C" batteries. As luck would have it, I have two on hand.

Jack Kelley
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05