Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

signed Canada War Tax Stamp  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
6 Posts
Posted 01/11/2018   5:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add my554dr to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
We have in our possession a 5 cent Canada War stamp that was 1 of 24 made. Each stamp was initialed by thee Government officials in Victoria, B.C.
For some reason the special document had to be sent from Victoria to Tokyo Japan. Before it was dispatched a Japanese officer offered to take it back to Japan and the offer was accepted.
The 24 stamps were ordered destroyed but the Government official kept 12 and gave my wife's grandmother one of them as they were friends and he knew she was a collector.
He asked her not to say anything until he passed as it may have caused him a lot of trouble.
We are now wondering were to go from here regarding the stamp. If anyone has any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated
Thanks in advance
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
259 Posts
Posted 01/11/2018   6:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rdavid to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting! Can you scan an image and post it?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5844 Posts
Posted 01/11/2018   6:29 pm  Show Profile Check Petert4522's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum. First suggestion: Please post a scan off said stamp - that would help a lot.

Peter
Valued Member
Canada
6 Posts
Posted 01/11/2018   6:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add my554dr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From my research the blue 5 cent stamp had Inland Revenue WAR TAX imprinted on it, this one does not
Valued Member
Canada
6 Posts
Posted 01/11/2018   6:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add my554dr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
sorry for the scan but I don't have original here, it is safely put away. That's the best I can do right now.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6277 Posts
Posted 01/13/2018   3:30 pm  Show Profile Check jamesw's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There were two 5 blue overprinted War Tax stamps. The Inland Revenue War Tax, as you mention {WR2Bi (Unitrade Catalogue) / FWT4 (van Dam)} and another overprinted with just WAR TAX {WR2B (Unitrade Catalogue) / FWT1 (van Dam)}, which is what yours looks to be. I can just make out the X of TAX on His Majesty's chest.
I don't know about the veracity of your story, and without a better image, it's difficult to say what the red markings on your stamp are.
It would be helpful if you were able to do more research into the story, though I understand that may be difficult, of not impossible. For example, were these 24 stamps on the 'special document' that was taken to Japan? These were used as revenue stamps on various documents, cheques, stock certificates, deeds etc. Sometimes they were initialed to cancel them.
Intriguing to be sure.
Edited by jamesw - 01/13/2018 3:34 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5844 Posts
Posted 01/13/2018   5:17 pm  Show Profile Check Petert4522's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My554dr, your photo is way too dark to tell anything. Is it possible for you to scan this stamp and then post it?

Peter
Valued Member
Canada
6 Posts
Posted 01/13/2018   9:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add my554dr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The following is the letter and stamp that was scanned by my Sister-in-law, I don't have the original. I reads pages 1^3 and page 2 was the backside. IF I can get her to take a picture and send it to me rather than a scan I will post it here.

Valued Member
Canada
6 Posts
Posted 01/13/2018   9:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add my554dr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
that was a letter from my father-in-law explaining the stamp. since he has deceased that's all the info we have.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6277 Posts
Posted 01/14/2018   12:46 am  Show Profile Check jamesw's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So if I understand this story, a document was to be sent to Japan from the provincial government in Victoria BC. The plan was to send the document via the mail, (why not diplomatic pouch?) but since there were no stamps for official government mail available (the federal government, Department of Finance to be exact, started perforating regular issue stamps with OHMS - On His Majesty's Service - in 1923 for use by provincial offices. The Post Office Dept. took over responsibility in 1935. This is according to Unitrade. I am unaware of Canada issuing Official stamps, like they do in the USA, but I could be wrong.), the government officials in Victoria created their own provisional Official stamps by signing 24 5 stamps. I guess we can assume that they had these War Tax stamps available. Interesting since these overprinted War Tax stamps were not intended for postal use, and government officials should have known that.
So that's $1.20 postage to get it to Tokyo. But because the Japanese officer offered to take the document, the stamps weren't necessary and were ordered to be destroyed. Twelve of the stamps were saved and this is one of them.
An interesting story, sadly there's no proof other than this letter. If these are actually provisional official stamps, they'd have some value, I would think. But certification would be necessary, and again, proof would be needed.
Valued Member
88 Posts
Posted 01/14/2018   07:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hornet785 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

WAT TAX on it

Valued Member
Canada
6 Posts
Posted 01/15/2018   6:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add my554dr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
here is a better image of the stamp, and I was told that it is only stuck to the paper in one corner
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05