Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Putting stamps you know nothing about on eBay?!?!?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United Kingdom
7 Posts
Posted 01/12/2018   08:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Gettinflexi to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Okay so, This week I went to two different stamp shops to see if they was interested in my stamps or could maybe tell me more about them..

The first shop didn't even take the bag he just said he doubted I would have anything of interest,

The second was abit more nicer he said there was too much to go through and that I should put them on eBay..

Here's my dilemma....
how do I even do that when I wouldn't be able to describe the stamp other then saying it's a old stamp... don't get me wrong I would attempt to do research on it but How would I know what I'm acrually selling and if the information I find correct??

I would never want to put a false or incorrect advert out.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
793 Posts
Posted 01/12/2018   09:30 am  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think if you took a couple pictures of the entire lot and posted it here we could advise you better. Carrying your stamps in a bag sets off alarm bells with me.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
180 Posts
Posted 01/12/2018   7:56 pm  Show Profile Check ggreve's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ggreve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I second KRelyea ...

If the stamp shop said they had little interest, they still could be worth something on eBay.

I talked to 10+ dealers about some boxes of stamps I had. Most all of them said they were not interested. Two them offered me little. I have plenty of time, so I listed them on eBay as sets the made sense to me. I was able to get more than I expected. It does take a lot of time.

If you do not know anything about them, maybe just listing them as an auction lot with a lot of good pictures.

I can probably give you more advice, or answer any other questions. I enjoy selling on eBay and other places.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1381 Posts
Posted 01/13/2018   06:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Gettinflexi,

You have them in a bag? They are supposed to be flat. That's what probably scared the first guy off. Also, without research, how do you know if you would be receiving a fair price?

Jack Kelley

Jack Kelley
Valued Member
United Kingdom
7 Posts
Posted 01/14/2018   08:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gettinflexi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry I need to rephrase that the stamps are mainly in stamp albums and I put them in a bag to keep the albums from getting ruined I always handle them with care because it was something that was drilled into me. I'm very overwhelmed by the amount of ramps that are in my possession, I think because of that I get stuck and I don't even know where to start. Album by album? Smallest album first? I also have shoe boxes of stamps which I haven't even opened I know those are loose stamps cut from envelopes, agggggghhh
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
793 Posts
Posted 01/14/2018   10:15 am  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I like to see;

1. Overall view, how much material do you have; 3 albums 5, 10? Boxes of material, how many?

2. What type of Album ie. Scott, Minkus, Worldwide etc

3. Pictures of early pages from major countries especially US.

If we have this information we can probably give you good advise.

Ken
Valued Member
United States
136 Posts
Posted 01/14/2018   11:29 am  Show Profile Check jimwentzell's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jimwentzell to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
another possible way to get some idea of value without posting hundreds of pictures:

Take a ten minute video and post it on youTube, then post a link here (hope that's ok...moderators?) If you have close-up, focused shots as you turn the pages of the stamp albums, again, emphasizing earliest years of most countries, that probably would be best.

Take time to be sure you get a good quality video--practice or ask others for help, if you're not experienced in filming. Be prepared for lots of questions, many probably not serious or even flaming/trolling/trying to get your name and address for scamming or other nefarious reasons. Use a separate, new email for responses to avoid regrets later.

You just might get some decent responses; I know I would take a look at what you have, as many others here would as well.

You could also plug this forum by providing a link back to it, and pick a good descriptive name to cast a wider net (ie " inherited stamp collection, has a partial USA 1892 Columbian set, Pan American stamps, 1840 Britain Penny Black stamp, wanting opinions on its value..."

--Jim Wentzell
stampguyaps177-681
Valued Member
United States
469 Posts
Posted 01/23/2018   02:48 am  Show Profile Check kcaramat's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add kcaramat to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you have stamps you know nothing about to list on eBay.

Lots of pictures ! Start the auction at 99 cents. Anything more than that presumes you do know something about them. Buyers will let you know the value.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.46 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05