Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Mountains of Mounts: Scissors or Cutters?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

Japan
36 Posts
Posted 01/13/2018   01:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add JPR to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

Although I love the idea of hingeless albums, they are just a bit too expensive. My plan is to buy regular pages and then add the many, many mounts myself. I have many questions too (as always)...

1. If I want them to look nice, should I get a cutter (rather than just cut them with scissors)?

2. If I get a cutter, what kind do you recommend (for accuracy, ease of use, durability, affordability)?

3. I want to use clear mounts so I can still see the image on the page. Are some better than others?

4. Is there anything I need to know about glue?

All advice appreciated!
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
460 Posts
Posted 01/13/2018   02:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely don't use scissors; the edges will look awful. I used a sharp utility knife and a straightedge for years, until I inherited my uncle's Showgard Orthomatic Cutter, which works great. eBay has secondhand ones at reasonable prices, though shipping to Japan may be expensive. (I couldn't find any on Amazon.co.jp or Yafuoku.)
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
225 Posts
Posted 01/13/2018   02:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Walkman82 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I also use a Showgard Orthomatic Cutter. I bought it in 1989 and after 29 years it's still as sharp and accurate as when I bought it.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
866 Posts
Posted 01/13/2018   05:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbcev80 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi JPR

Here is a link to an article I wrote on use of mounts. Reading thje threasa you will get a good education on using mounts.

http://goscf.com/t/17131#17131

BTW: Do Not Use Scissors to cut mounts!

Jerry B
Pillar Of The Community
United States
748 Posts
Posted 01/13/2018   06:32 am  Show Profile Check chris2015's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chris2015 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Definitely don't use scissors; the edges will look awful.

It depends on if you are using black or clear mounts. I have been using scissors for years on my mounts and, since they are clear, you can't tell the difference.

I started out just licking them, then switched to using a glue stick, now recently I got turned on to using double-sided tape to attach my mounts. Works great without the mess a using glue and it allows you to remove the mount if you need to without damage to the page.

Another tip: using mounts on every stamp can also get expensive. Many folks will set a CV limit and hinge cheaper stamps below that limit and only mount the more expensive stamps above that limit. If you are using clear mounts, that blend well with using hinges, black mounts do not.

Hope that helps.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2022 Posts
Posted 01/13/2018   06:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I also have the Showgard cutter it and has worked well for years. You are less likely to make mistakes.
Al
Learn More...
5716 Posts
Posted 01/13/2018   06:46 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do not see anything wrong with cutting mounts (any color) with scissors. But I certainly agree that the scissors need to be clean and sharp. I have cut mounts in cutters (both guillotine and roller) which looked horrid due to bad blades. I think the key to any cutting method is sharpness of the cutting blade.

If you use scissors, you must buy a good pair, hide them from everyone else in the house, never use them to cut anything else (including paper which is the fastest way to dull a pair of scissors). Mount cutters probably have a better reputation because they are less likely to be abused with other cutting tasks.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1409 Posts
Posted 01/13/2018   06:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
JPR,

Use a cutter. I recommend Showgard. However, please reconsider hingeless albums. When you compare the cost of the mounts, you will find it more expensive. I use mounts myself on my USA collection. But they are black backed. Had this option been available in hingeless, I definitely would have gone the hingeless route.

Jack Kelley
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1022 Posts
Posted 01/13/2018   06:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I suggest definitely buying the Orthomatic cutter, and the larger size also. It should last near forever as Walkman82 said. There are no real instructions with it that I remember, but the bar next to the blade should be pressed down so that mount doesn't move as you cut.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3513 Posts
Posted 01/13/2018   07:31 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you are using a printed album, clear mounts are generally better, as they don't hide the information beneath the stamp. I have a Hawid mount-cutter, although I usually use scissors.
Valued Member
Canada
339 Posts
Posted 01/13/2018   08:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am just getting into self-designed album pages and plan to insert pictures of the stamps on a black background. I can then use black mounts which show off the perforation much better than clear. And mounts will only go onto the pages as needed.
Edited by itma - 01/13/2018 08:44 am
Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
Posted 01/13/2018   08:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cougar01 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've been using this cutter that I found while browsing the aisles at Staples. Does the job perfectly for cutting mounts for single stamps and blocks, although it's too small for cutting mounts for sheets. Makes a nice clean, straight cut. Probably better cutters out there, but I'm cheap, and this works for my needs. :-)

Website says "not available in stores", but mine had several. Think I paid around $5.00 for it a couple years ago. Still using the original blade, too!

https://www.staples.com/carl-person...oduct_922661

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3513 Posts
Posted 01/13/2018   09:10 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you're designing your own page, you can create a thicker black surround, which will make the perfs stand out with a clear mount. Of course, if you aren't buying expensive printed pages, blotting out the image with a black mount doesn't really matter.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1025 Posts
Posted 01/13/2018   09:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
JPR: as you can see, there are a variety of opinions and each works for the person making the post.

Myself, I use scissors to cut black mounts. They look fine in my albums alongside hinged items. I set a catalog value limit of US $50-60 for when I use mounts. Also, I do not recommend using any kind of adhesive like a glue stick. One never knows what will happen after ten years as adhesive can migrate (move around) through a page or on the surface of a page.
Learn More...
5716 Posts
Posted 01/13/2018   09:43 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I second Steve's opinion. For some reason folks seem to think only 'direct contact' can affect stamps. The environment is the key critical factor. We should remember that out gassing occurs with various chemicals and if these are surrounding a stamp they can eventually affect it. For example, put a stamp in a mount and then store it in an old cigar box. The acids in the wooden cigar box creates a very acidic environment over time and the stamp in the mount will indeed tone even through it has no surface contacting the stamp paper.
Don

Pillar Of The Community
1857 Posts
Posted 01/13/2018   10:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cursus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I use a rotary cutter with clear mounts, but just with UMM stamps, and it has worked fine for nearly 20 years. For my, more usual, used stamps, I just use hinges. Even, with expensive used stamps.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05