Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Guide dot or variety..?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5746 Posts
Posted 01/13/2018   08:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add wert to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
H guys...

Sent this oddity off to BNAPS "dots and scratches" to see what Mike thinks..In the mean time any replies would be appreciated.

Here is my block of Scott 106's.

Now this block is precanceled and inverted cancel, but look at the HUGE dot in with the precancel Scott 106-7-I (TL/P6)
Not sure if it is just a form of guide dot or in face a variety...?

Robert

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5783 Posts
Posted 01/13/2018   08:42 am  Show Profile Check Petert4522's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That to me does not look like a guide dot in the regular way. It looks like a dot on the precancel mat.

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5746 Posts
Posted 01/13/2018   08:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thats what I was thinking to Peter..Hope some one comes across with the same variety.

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
1522 Posts
Posted 01/13/2018   4:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have usually seen these referred to as "nail heads", which is likely what they are.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5783 Posts
Posted 01/13/2018   5:13 pm  Show Profile Check Petert4522's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John, can you elaborate on that one?

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
1522 Posts
Posted 01/13/2018   6:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Although I don't know the specifics in this particular case, often times with standard printing block manufacture, the thin plate of cast metal type is nailed onto a wooden backing block. The nails can slowly come loose to the point where they "take ink" and print.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5746 Posts
Posted 01/14/2018   08:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John

That is a reasonable conclusion..Good one.

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5783 Posts
Posted 01/14/2018   09:26 am  Show Profile Check Petert4522's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you John. That is a totally different method of overprinting the stamps than we do here in the US!

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
1522 Posts
Posted 01/14/2018   10:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Peter, Have you actually seen a local precancel device of any sort? Please explain your view of the US method.

Here is visual evidence why I believe the dot in Wert's example is a nail head: a 2x5 handstamp precancel device showing 3 views. Note the curved metal plate held to the wood base with metal fasteners of some sort.

Lastly, two impressions from devices where the mounting nails/rivets show:

It is fairly easy to find examples of local US precancels showing extraneous circular marks in places on the plate which would be logical attachment points to the backing. And of course the 100-subject double line electro plates are flat rather than curved, but still consist of a thin metal plate mounted to a block of wood.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5783 Posts
Posted 01/14/2018   10:35 am  Show Profile Check Petert4522's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John, I think we are talking about two different things. I was thinking more of the Bureau precancels, not of the local ones. The plates used on the Transportation Coils were mounted around drum and used screws to hold them down. My mistake.

Peter
Edited by Petert4522 - 01/14/2018 10:36 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.54 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05