Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Stamps from China and possibly Japan.  

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United Kingdom
182 Posts
Posted 01/13/2018   2:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Eiger to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi I have a few sleeves of a variety of Chinese and possibly Japanese stamps. I have no experience with these stamps, which is why I am not sure which is which!
Does anyone know of the best on line source for checking what these stamps are?
Thank you
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5783 Posts
Posted 01/13/2018   3:08 pm  Show Profile Check Petert4522's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, post a few pictures here! We can not really guess at something we can not see.

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Petert4522 - 01/13/2018 3:09 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
182 Posts
Posted 01/13/2018   3:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Eiger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'll have to do that tomorrow when I have access to the desktop, can't seem to do it via the IPad.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5691 Posts
Posted 01/13/2018   3:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These will get you through 80% of your common Asian stamps:

The top symbol on the left, sort of like a rectangle with a vertical line through it, is China:

but you'll have to do a little more digging to be more specific.

If there is also this star, it is Republic of China:

The chrysanthemum flower (the circle design on the left) and/or the shape like a figure 8 on the far right are Japan:

edit: For some reason, my last images were not displaying...can an image file size be too small? Anyway, here is a Manchukuo block I'd uploaded previously, showing the five-petal orchid star, which is a dead giveaway for Manchukuo:

Edited by Cjd - 01/13/2018 4:00 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
23607 Posts
Posted 01/13/2018   3:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Nice work, Collin.
Your last two images are not showing, perhaps you have them similarly named, that prevents loading?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5691 Posts
Posted 01/13/2018   4:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dunno what the issue was.

Anyway, Elger, these will help you get them into piles, and you can use online references to further i.d. them from there.

Valued Member
United Kingdom
182 Posts
Posted 01/15/2018   09:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Eiger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much! My eyesight is not the best at picking out these symbols! I have also finally I think got the images to work so will have a go and post them
Valued Member
United Kingdom
182 Posts
Posted 01/15/2018   09:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Eiger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United Kingdom
182 Posts
Posted 01/15/2018   09:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Eiger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
542 Posts
Posted 01/17/2018   3:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
At first glance China seems very complicated. So many overprints and regional issues. I just had a look at my catalogues and it made my head spin

Eiger, are you wondering if you have the stamps in your scans properly sorted out? I can help with the Japan
Valued Member
United Kingdom
182 Posts
Posted 01/17/2018   3:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Eiger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bobby that would be very useful thank you! I think most are China but yes they can all be very confusing!
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
542 Posts
Posted 01/18/2018   12:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The following are Japan:

Scan 1 - the column of 4, top right

Scan 2 - all except middle stamp 2nd row, not sure what the large orange stamp is

Scan 3 - no Japan

Scan 4 - 1st row 1st stamp, 2nd row 2nd stamp, 3rd row 1st and last stamps, 4th row 2nd stamp

Scan 5 - the green stamp bottom right

Scan 6 - the ducks and geese at left

Scan 7 - no Japan (all China I'd say)

Scan 8 - the 3 vertical pairs and the single 30y

Scan 9 - 4th row, 2nd last stamp

Scan 10 - last row, 2nd last stamp

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5691 Posts
Posted 01/18/2018   11:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The large orange stamp at the bottom of the second picture is China Sc#169 from 1952.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
182 Posts
Posted 01/18/2018   12:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Eiger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you so much Bobby that's amazingly helpful!
Valued Member
United Kingdom
182 Posts
Posted 01/18/2018   12:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Eiger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you CJd !
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5279 Posts
Posted 01/18/2018   6:18 pm  Show Profile Check stallzer's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I thought this would be an easy find with 1948 & Republic of China as being good indicators, no joy. Anyone?

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.8 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05