Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Letters from royalty and interesting seals.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
13 Posts
Posted 01/14/2018   12:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jhdijkstra to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have been digging through some of my postal history and postcards recently (mainly for organizational purposes) and found these interesting letter heads, and letter that seem to be for and originated from the half brother of the King of Spain. However, after quite a bit of research, I can't seem to find anything about him. Nor, can I find any information in regards to the seals used on the letters.

Here are the scans if anyone is interested in reviewing:

Letter 1:

Letter 2:

Letter 3:

US News Article:

They misspelled his name. Also, the Majestic (RMS Majestic) mentioned was an ocean liner that would run between Southhampton, UK and New York, US and was formerly known as the SS Bismarck.

Verification of Newspaper .. the back shows it well.

The content of one of the letters in Greek. It seems to me that someone was requesting a large sum of money .. especially for 1933:

Anyways, I thought I would share it as it interested me quite a bit. Also, if anybody knows more information about Don Louis de Bourbon, feel free to share. It is not exactly stamp history, but the postal history overall was quite exciting to learn.
Send note to Staff
Edited by jhdijkstra - 01/14/2018 11:29 am

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
571 Posts
Posted 01/14/2018   01:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting stuff jhdijkstra

He may be a pretender:

https://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blo...elp-for.html

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/...earchLimits=

There is a New York Times article but you have to be a subscriber.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Bobby De La Rue - 01/14/2018 01:34 am
Valued Member
United States
13 Posts
Posted 01/14/2018   01:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jhdijkstra to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
He may be a pretender:

Haha, that could very well be true! It would also explain why I could not find any information when searching for the Spanish royal families and heirs.
Edited by jhdijkstra - 01/14/2018 01:36 am
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1259 Posts
Posted 01/15/2018   02:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 22crows to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The site below shows 2 illegitimate sons of Alfonso XII, Alfonso and Fernando, both born before Alfonso XIII. Their mother, Elena Sanz, was a Spanish opera singer.
Scroll down to numbers 4 and 5 near the bottom.

http://heinbruins.nl/Alfonso.html

I think this Don Louis de Bourbon was delusional.
Pillar Of The Community
1857 Posts
Posted 01/15/2018   03:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cursus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well...Spanish Bourbons (both male and females) are well know for their "easy going" sexual behaviour. But, this doesn't seem to worry their subjects...
Pillar Of The Community
899 Posts
Posted 01/19/2018   01:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kimo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Regarding the seals on the backs of the covers, I cannot make out what the grey colored one might be, but the red ones with the letter W in a shield appear to be ordinary generic seals that one would buy at any local stationery store. If this guy was what he purports himself to be I would have expected that he would be using a version of the royal family's coat of arms as his seal. Also, why would a Spanish prince be living in Greece? It sounds very sketchy to me.
Edited by Kimo - 01/19/2018 01:45 am
Valued Member
United States
13 Posts
Posted 01/24/2018   11:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jhdijkstra to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree Kimo, this is more and more starting to look like a pretender. I do find it odd though that a newspaper (I don't know if the Daily Mirror is reputable at that time) would take time to make a story on him. Also, he seemed to have lived in the US and Turkey while working for American Express?? I'm going to translate the letter to see what is actually said ...
Pillar Of The Community
899 Posts
Posted 01/25/2018   11:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kimo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Self promoters "issue" self-serving "press releases" all the time. All it takes is for one or two to be picked up on a slow news day to get something in the paper. Also, back then newspapers were looking for stories of local people to print, especially "society" people.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
571 Posts
Posted 01/26/2018   01:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
why would a Spanish prince be living in Greece?

Oh I dunno, why would a German prince be living in England circa 1840

Seriously though, lots of monarchy folk wind up living in countries not of their birth, especially if exiled:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princ...vna_Romanoff
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
1532 Posts
Posted 01/26/2018   07:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In the Greek letter above,it's curious that Latin letters were used in
typing the letter.In Athens there were typewriters with greek alphebet keys as in
the model below.Model Molle 1915-18 .Especially in Athens.
Maybe the receiver could not read Greek but could read a Greek text only phonetically?

Edited by perf12 - 01/26/2018 07:12 am
Valued Member
United States
13 Posts
Posted 01/28/2018   11:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jhdijkstra to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@perf12 I'm 100% sure the receiver was a native greek writer and reader as I have many letters and postcards to him in the greek alphabet. It seems that the writer might not have been greek, nor owned a greek typewriter ... in this case the not so probable royalty.
Edited by jhdijkstra - 01/28/2018 11:46 pm
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
1532 Posts
Posted 01/29/2018   10:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well let's put it this way; the sender could very well speak Greek and not be able too write in Greek.Thus the phonetic latin alphabet.That is not unusual for someone where Greek is not a his second language...
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05