Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1c Franklin Plating Help Needed SC #24

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 1,461Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
687 Posts
Posted 01/24/2018   1:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Caper123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm trying to zero in on the plate position for this top row stamp and am doing so through the process of elimination. For various (I hope rational) reasons I have excluded plates 8-10 (lack of mottling, dot location, no dot on shoulder, no curls, etc.)

This leave me with Plates 5 & 7. There are no plate scratches and the side ornaments are not complete (in favor of plate 7). However, the lack of eye curls rules out most of plate 7. I find no exact matches in Stampsmarter or Neinken. My best GUESS so far is 6L5. Help would be appreciated from you Franklin experts!

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1008 Posts
Posted 01/24/2018   1:29 pm  Show Profile Check ray.mac's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ray.mac to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Caper, I'm trying to complete all the A reliefs of the Type V/Va plates, and I'm at work right now, but wondering why you eliminated Plate 8. Sure looks like a Plate 8, at least IMHO...you might see if there is a match with the top guide line...Ray.

Anyone have a 3L8? Just bought a 9L8 in a strip from Winston, but 3L8 will complete Plate 8 for me....
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
687 Posts
Posted 01/24/2018   2:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I might have been a bit quick to eliminate 8. I see (2) possibilities there...7L and 9L.
Edited by Caper123 - 01/24/2018 4:53 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1348 Posts
Posted 01/24/2018   7:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ray: 2-3L8. Worn plate, but part of the big blur between 3 and 4L8 is barely visible along the perfs of 3L8. 2L8 plating marks clearly visible.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2337 Posts
Posted 01/25/2018   06:20 am  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Anyone have a 3L8?

I don't know. Got an 8R8?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1008 Posts
Posted 01/25/2018   10:04 am  Show Profile Check ray.mac's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ray.mac to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
3 of them! One on cover, and just bought that one on piece with the 26 off eBay. Haven't taken it out if the envelope yet, and I'm not convinced it's a 26. Lines are crooked, and there's a gap in the line on the top right...thinking 26A.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2337 Posts
Posted 01/25/2018   10:33 am  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's a #26. I thought you would realize it was me that you outbid. I had been waiting for that item to resurface for 3 weeks because I passed on the first opportunity to buy it because it was mixed in with too much junk.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1008 Posts
Posted 01/25/2018   10:33 am  Show Profile Check ray.mac's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ray.mac to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dudley, I LOVE that pair! Stamps are so different with the heavy mottling on 3L, and 2L looking almost like a Va on the lower right. Great pair....

BTW, if you're ever looking to unload it....

Thanks, Ray
Valued Member
324 Posts
Posted 01/25/2018   6:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lukusw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The central perf holes on the bottom row of the Caper's stamp appear to wander up into the design more than the other holes. On a different stamp I would assume that meant reperf, but I have seen a LOT of the 1c 1850s stamps with the same "wandering" pattern in the same location.

Anyone else notice that? Reperf? Optical illusion?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
687 Posts
Posted 08/13/2020   1:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
New question - I have this 'eye curl' Plate 7 stamp that is giving me fits to plate. I'm thinking 2R or 9L7 but can't quite pin it down. Opinions for the experts would be appreciated.
Paul

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1348 Posts
Posted 08/13/2020   3:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My vote goes to 2R7 (marks in OS of POSTAGE).
Pillar Of The Community
United States
687 Posts
Posted 08/13/2020   4:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Dudley!
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 1,461Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05