Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Having Problems Posting Replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 1,112Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
729 Posts
Posted 01/27/2018   2:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add itma to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
If this goes out, then I can post new messages OK.

Whenever I try to respond to a topic, I get diverted to:

https://www.stampcommunity.org/post_info.asp

and get the message:

Sorry, the site is busy, cannot be posted right now.

Others seem to be able to access the site as posts have been coming in over the past couple of days. I even manages to make a short response about six hours ago on my iPad but cannot otherwise get through on either my Mac or PC.
Send note to Staff

Learn More...
9621 Posts
Posted 01/27/2018   2:30 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You will see this message if you are trying to post a link that is disallowed.
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7594 Posts
Posted 01/27/2018   2:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well Frank, I can read what you wrote!

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
729 Posts
Posted 01/27/2018   2:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well here's a very simple response - nothing offensive, I hope.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
729 Posts
Posted 01/27/2018   3:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don:

I have gone through the message and removed all links. I am trying to post to reference books/software Forum in respose to the topic "Stamp Analyzer Software.

In my response, I have put a number of stamps through the software s mentioned and was trying to pass on the results.

Here are the results for one stamp.

ACSC 14.75 x 14.06
EP 14.75 14.60 14.12 14.12 (Top Bottom Left Right)
SA 14.78 14.56 13.99 14.00

Grade:
EG VG 38
SA VG-F 53

These results were preceded by some comments and where to get user manuals for the software.

I first removed the links to the manuals, then I split the message into two, the comments and the results. Nothing would go through.

Frank.
Forum Dad
USA
1706 Posts
Posted 01/27/2018   3:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One of those software companies, and all their products, are completely banned from here. They spammed he snot out of our forum with many different IDs. Even had multiple IDs at the same time going pretending to be customers recommending the software. We don't reward that kind of deceit with promotion.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
729 Posts
Posted 01/27/2018   4:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
*** Edited by Staff - Seriously? You were told they are NOT allowed to be mentioned here, then you work for an hour to get around the block? ***
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
729 Posts
Posted 01/27/2018   5:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I am truly sorry. I didn't read read bobby131313's response very carefully as I had expected a response to come from Don. I just got the gist of it that (17-06-18) Not Allowed - Auto-Removed is not a nice company. I actually read through the rules twice and saw that certain urls could be deleted in messages - no mention of product or company names (I might be wrong here as I am slightly dyslexic - my wife says I see what I want to see).

Of course, if the message I kept getting when I tried to submit post had been a bit more honest - it does rather treat us as children, not allowed to know the dark facts of life - then the whole thing would probably have been cut off at the pass. It certainly would have meant that I wouldn't have spent so much time over an extended period waiting for the site to become less "busy".
Edited by itma - 01/27/2018 5:57 pm
Learn More...
9621 Posts
Posted 01/27/2018   6:02 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Kirk and I are Moderators, bobby131313 is the Admin of the forum.

The rules and auto-messages are kept to a minimum rather than being very detailed and explicit. Many folks do not read now, I imagine if they were a wall of text even fewer people would. If anyone needs more explanation please let one of us know.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5231 Posts
Posted 01/27/2018   6:34 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pardon me for chiming in. I have run afoul of this error in the past, and if I hadn't contacted Don offlist, I would never have known the cause. The way the message reads, if you keep getting it, leads you to believe that there is something wrong with the forum, *NOT* anything in the content you have been trying to post.

It's a misleading error message, which is the biggest problem.

If I could make a suggestion: Why not have it read "You are attempting to post prohibited content. Please revise your post and try again." or something similar? That is generic enough that it doesn't give the poster exact information, but at least it doesn't lead posters off on a wild goose chase.

When I got the message, I literally tried posting and reposting over the course of an hour, thinking there was a problem with the board. It never would have occurred to me that this message means you are trying to post banned content.
Edited by revenuecollector - 01/27/2018 6:34 pm
Forum Dad
USA
1706 Posts
Posted 01/28/2018   10:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'll see if I can come up with an alternative next few days.

The reason I did it the other way is because the code was originally created to trap legit spammers, not good members posting prohibited items.

I didn't want the spammers knowing it was just prohibited content because then they could make a concerted effort to get around the block. I want to keep the real spammers in the dark.
Forum Dad
USA
1706 Posts
Posted 01/28/2018   10:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I could check post counts I guess and if the users post count is say over 25 then tell them what it is that's wrong in their post. Would still keep new spammers in the dark and lessen the legit members that get caught up in it.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5231 Posts
Posted 01/28/2018   11:05 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent solution, thanks!
Forum Dad
USA
1706 Posts
Posted 01/28/2018   12:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Should be working now, established members should get this....

New members will still get the vague response.

I'm sure some of you know something they can test it with.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
729 Posts
Posted 01/28/2018   3:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for these changes. I tried it with one of the software packages I was testing and get this excellent result. Then I tried with the other package in a response on rhe reference books and software forum in the Stamp Analyzer software topic as follows:

Quote:
Well, the EzPerf software is the pits!

1. It is always on top of all other windows on your screen, even programs you subsequently launch.
2. It has no menu by which you can shut it down.
3. It does't appear on the menu bar at the bottom of Windows so you can't close it there.
4. It doesn't even in Task Manager's list of running programs so you can't close it there either.
5. The only way to close it is to Restart your PC.

Norton Utilities didn't object to it being installed but you have to suspect that it is tracking your activity or even something worse. So I've uninstalled both programs from this company.

You may wish to add EzPerf to your list of prohibited words.

As an aside, any software testing I do is on a dedicated PC, not normally connected to the internet. This PC also gets regular OS clean installs.
Forum Dad
USA
1706 Posts
Posted 01/28/2018   3:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you.
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 1,112Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05