Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Postcard People {nytimes}

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3725 Posts
Posted 01/28/2018   09:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ikeyPikey to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
It is unique & useful to read a newspaper article (or see a TV news report) about a subject of which you have first-hand knowledge ... you learn that they (journalists) cannot be trusted at the same time that you learn that, in fact, they get a lot right ... but its never the story you would have told.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/26/...-people.html "Postcard People" is the New York Times' take on New York's Metropolitan Postcard Club.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey (who found a slippery slope from stamps thru postal cards to postcards)
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3624 Posts
Posted 01/28/2018   3:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I must have used up my free NYTimes articles for the month.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26650 Posts
Posted 01/28/2018   4:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

.......A cracking read, fabulous.
Thank you.

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4230 Posts
Posted 01/28/2018   4:46 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
... and it would have to be the meeting you didn't attend!

Rod - if you haven't seen it, the Club's site is a fabulous mine of information

http://www.metropostcard.com/index.html
Valued Member
United States
30 Posts
Posted 05/30/2018   6:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Deltilogical to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My 2nd forum post to disclose I am a member of this club and it remains a great place to buy postcards (and sell, I assume, the dealers continue to come and new ones show up. Collectors in the metro area would do well to check the meetings out, get there early!
Mary Martin Ltd now puts on the NYC Spring show in conjunction with the club; the show 2 weeks ago was world class, I saw many worthy 3 figure cards available in addition to more affordable material.

The NY Times visited the club subsequently and this came out:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/24/...an-life.html

the Times also collected images that could relate to a #METOO article but that hasn't come out as far as I know.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2890 Posts
Posted 05/30/2018   6:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks! Great articles!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3725 Posts
Posted 05/30/2018   10:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I encouraged the NYTimes folks to broaden their article to include the many derogatory postcards that target populations other than African-Americans.

It does not detract from the awfulness of the African-American-targeting postcards to show that they were part of a broad stream of then-acceptable now-unacceptable behavior.

I've got one or two cards that put down 'hillbillies' somewhere in The Great Pile, for example, and obnoxious anti-Asian cards (that predate Pearl Harbor) are easy to find.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05