Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Great War - Postcards From France

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 1,219Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community

United Kingdom
5966 Posts
Posted 02/02/2018   12:18 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add GeoffHa to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A selection of WWI postcards from France. Please add your own. First, a few humorous cards. Apologies for some inept scanning in places. Unused if back not shown.

This is post-war - 1922 -

Also post-war - to Rome -

This, I think, is actually 1920s -

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1219 Posts
Posted 02/02/2018   1:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tim H to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Geoff, tres amusant. I like the last one, Petite cause, Grande effet. I had a cat like that, many years ago.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
560 Posts
Posted 02/02/2018   1:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ciletaliph to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very humorous!
The little girl is pulling a toy canon.
Now, where is my toy canon
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1872 Posts
Posted 02/02/2018   3:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Geoff, even with the humour these are no less evocative.
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 02/02/2018   9:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I know better, but I still make the mistake of reducing vast & complex situations & events to simplicities & uniformities.

So The Great War was a catastrophe, and everyone knew it was a catastrophe, and everyone experienced it as a catastrophe.

But, obviously, not.

Mothers birthed & raised children. Addicts lived their addictions. Buggy-whip manufacturers ...

Poor people lived poor, rich people lived rich, and people who were so inclined could buy funny postcards.

Thanks for posting these, Geoff.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5966 Posts
Posted 02/03/2018   01:02 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, everyone. More, and, sadly, grimmer, to follow. And please add your own!
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5966 Posts
Posted 02/03/2018   3:41 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Second group, variously captioned cards - sentimental, patriotic etc

Two illustrations after Millet -

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1321 Posts
Posted 04/28/2019   3:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is actually a U.S. postcard, but the scene is in France. Not the best photo, but some very early tanks. Nothing relevant on the back.

Edited by GregAlex - 04/28/2019 3:55 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6526 Posts
Posted 04/28/2019   4:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Patriotic card

Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 1,219Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05