Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1c 1851 Plate 4 Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 213 / Views: 16,849Next Topic
Page: of 15
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2222 Posts
Posted 09/12/2020   7:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Njs - that's a really nice example of the type. Thanks for posting that.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
78 Posts
Posted 09/12/2020   7:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Njs900 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I bought this sad torn thing for a pittance but had a hard time plating it as a defining mark is a horizontal scratch through the hair. It turned out to be 23L4 where the scratch shows in several copies in Doporto but is not shown in Neinken. I have marked my book and recommend you do the same.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1368 Posts
Posted 09/13/2020   10:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My sincere thanks to txstamp and Njs900 for the previous discussion concerning Type Ic. I learned a great deal from two true experts.
Valued Member
United States
78 Posts
Posted 09/13/2020   1:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Njs900 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree on 32R4 for Widglo's stamp.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
134 Posts
Posted 09/13/2020   3:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add widglo46 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I plated one more stamp from plate 4 this morning. This one didn't take too long because there aren't that many "B" relief positions that are type III. The scratch across the top of the plate clinched the position as 15L4.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1368 Posts
Posted 09/13/2020   7:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
widglo, I'm very impressed with the quality of the stamps you post.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
134 Posts
Posted 09/13/2020   11:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add widglo46 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the compliment, Dudley.

I have another Plate 4 stamp (type IIIa) that has 3 PF certs stating it is position 35L4. The earliest cert (PF#155231) is from a pair identified as 35-36L4. The right stamp being a Type III. I don't really know how they arrived at this plating decision because I don't think my stamp really matches the Neinken diagram for 35L4. The dot next to the right lower plume had me thinking it was a 37L4, but that would have made the right stamp in the original pair a 38L4, and I don't think that is correct.

I've included an image of the right stamp from a Siegel sale if that helps.
If the PF is correct it is a 36L4.
Valued Member
United States
78 Posts
Posted 09/14/2020   09:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Njs900 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Widglo, I agree that your stamp is not 35L4. It is too short at A and B and elsewhere on the left side.

Can you send a 1200 dpi scan. The 200kb limit here makes plating difficult.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2222 Posts
Posted 09/14/2020   10:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
On 32R4 vs 72R4, here is a key differentiator:

32R4 has a very weak ornament H1.
72R4 has a much stronger ornament H1.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
134 Posts
Posted 09/14/2020   2:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add widglo46 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just took another 2400dpi scan of my #22, and I am chagrined to confess that the dot I was seeing next to the right plume is no longer there. I thought I was keeping my scanner pretty clean, but obviously, not clean enough for plating purposes. Sorry to waste everyone's time.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2222 Posts
Posted 09/17/2020   11:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ty II, #7, Position 8L4.
A top row plate 4 stamp.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
930 Posts
Posted 09/23/2020   12:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I need some help with this stamp. It appears to be a plate 4 relief C (looking at the lower right plume). The blue cancel makes it very difficult to determine what is cancel and what is stamp ink. There may be a plate crack at upper left shown on the enlarged image. The last image shows a couple of possible plate marks.

Edited by jaxom100 - 09/23/2020 12:08 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2368 Posts
Posted 09/23/2020   2:21 pm  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely not a Plate 4 stamp.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
714 Posts
Posted 09/23/2020   9:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Sinclair. What led you to your conclusion that it was from Plate 4?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
930 Posts
Posted 09/24/2020   12:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was just looking at the short right plume but I see that some plate 2 have a short plume as well.
Page: of 15 Previous TopicReplies: 213 / Views: 16,849Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05