Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1c 1851 Plate 4 Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 248 / Views: 21,019Next Topic
Page: of 17
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6252 Posts
Posted 01/24/2021   10:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That is a gorgeous piece.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2388 Posts
Posted 01/24/2021   11:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
widglo - that is a fabulous Ty III. Its very hard to find bottom line breaks that large. Yes, that impresses me more than margins.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
224 Posts
Posted 02/07/2021   11:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add widglo46 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I bought another #22 from Alan Cohen. The impression looked great to me, and I really like blue cancels, too. This one is relief "E" (position 45R4).

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2388 Posts
Posted 02/07/2021   11:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pretty stamp! Those E reliefs show a lot of the design at the bottom, which is nice when you get one that is centered properly.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
224 Posts
Posted 02/07/2021   3:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add widglo46 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are my two other Plate 4 examples. Both are top row. They are posted in order 2L4 followed by 1L4. I'm not ambitious enough to try to complete an entire plate, but I am trying to collect interesting examples from every plate, including at least one relief from each transfer roll.

Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
Posted 02/07/2021   5:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Njs900 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful stamps. To have a perforated copy of an E relief that well centered is especially impressive.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
224 Posts
Posted 02/07/2021   8:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add widglo46 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for everyone's comments. I didn't realize that the "E" relief was particularly desirable. My personal favorite is still the "A" relief. My eyes seem to always go to the top ornaments, and the top row of Plate 4 is hard to beat. Here is one more that I forgot to show - it is a #20 from position 8R4.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2388 Posts
Posted 02/08/2021   12:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The E and F reliefs on Plate 4 have very tall designs, and, thus were a challenge for perforations.

Top row plate 4 stamps are a lot of fun. About 20+ years ago, a friend and I (with good input from another friend: njs900 as well back then), collectively, reconstructed the top row with a combination of perf+imperf stamps. Back then, before good scans, with just the Neinken book, and our respective stamps to refer to, it was a real challenge to do this.

One would think that with nice guide dots that it should be easy to plate these top row stamps, but they can be a real challenge at times.

Anyway, your stamps are really nice - I have always considered imperforate top row plate 4 stamps that show 4 margins to be really nice, desirable items. Bravo.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
224 Posts
Posted 03/13/2021   9:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add widglo46 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I previously posted on 09/13/2020 a Scott #22, position 35L4. Although it had three PF certs identifying the plate position, I couldn't understand how an exact plating had been made. It looked pretty clearly to be a relief "D", but that was about all I could say. The Neinken diagram for 35L4 just didn't seem to match my stamp.

The stamp had originally been submitted to the PF as the left stamp of a pair, so I just accepted that there must have been enough plating information between the two stamps to identify the pair as 35-36L4.

Well, almost by chance, I have been able acquire the the other member of this pair (36L4 - the first image below). I've also photographed the two stamps sie-by-side as they were originally joined. I've examined the 36L4 member of the pair carefully, and I'm still no more certain that the plating ascribed is correct. Any help would be appreciated.

Also, does anyone perhaps know anything about the provenance of the pair before it was separated?

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1505 Posts
Posted 03/14/2021   11:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
widglo, regardless of the plating issue the rejoining of this amazing pair is quite a feat. I for one salute you!
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
Posted 03/15/2021   11:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Njs900 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You have 36-37L4. A good plating mark for 36L is a scratch on the shoulder, under the red 1 on your copy, (unfortunately not shown in Neinken).
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
Posted 03/15/2021   12:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Njs900 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry 36-37R4 not left. I do that all the time.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
224 Posts
Posted 03/15/2021   8:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add widglo46 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Njs900 - Thanks for holding to your initial plating of the #22. I wasn't ready to accept it without more authorities weighing in, but now with the right side of the pair in hand, your plating is confirmed. From Richard Doporto's site on position 37R4 - the scratch he marks up in Figure 2 through the "O" of "ONE" is clearly on my stamp, too. Doporto also an image of my #21 (37R4) on that page now, and either it is new, or I missed it before.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
783 Posts
Posted 03/16/2021   10:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Plating has certainly been made easier with modern visual aides via computer!
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
Posted 05/04/2021   4:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Njs900 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is 1-2R4 with a #31 from a ratty cover.

As the 31 is off center and the 20 pair was not identified as plate 4, I bought it quite reasonably.

1R4 is marked to show the line on the shoulder.

I now need 2L4 and 3-4R4 to complete the top row.

I have duplicates to trade if anyone has those positions and is interested in trading.

Page: of 17 Previous TopicReplies: 248 / Views: 21,019Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05