Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1c 1851 Plate 4 Stamps

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 248 / Views: 20,780Next Topic
Page: of 17
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2379 Posts
Posted 05/05/2021   10:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
njs - Nice find. The mark in the bust definitely confirms 1R4.

I have 2L4, but its not alone. Its kind of a bookend to your top row right pane perforated strip. I will post that piece at some point when I get to it.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
204 Posts
Posted 05/05/2021   3:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add widglo46 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
njs900 - I wish that I had some duplicates to trade with you, but in case you haven't seen them already, Alan Cohen has two of the top row plate 4 stamps that you are still looking for. You can check out the images on his website http://alanecohen.com/

#7 Position 2L4. Relief "A'. cds cancel. ex Koppersmith, Saadi. 1992 and 1986 PF certificates $1,100.00 (Item #4144)
#7 Position 4R4. Neat cds cancel. F/VF. Lovely color. 2019 PFC $500.00
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2379 Posts
Posted 05/05/2021   4:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Positions 1-6L4 imperforate.
This is the largest top row imperforate multiple known to me.

I first obtained this circa the late 1990s, sold in 2005 and recently re-acquired it.

In spite of flaws, considering the rarity of imperforate Plate 4 stamps, I have always been quite fond of this strip.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
204 Posts
Posted 05/05/2021   9:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add widglo46 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
txstamp - That's an incredible strip.

I recently acquired another ex-Saadi stamp from Alan Cohen. It's position 10R4 - the only double transfer on the plate. Ashbrook makes special mention of the rarity of this stamp based on how few examples he had seen, and I don't know if his opinion still holds today.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2379 Posts
Posted 05/06/2021   10:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
widglo - Congratulations. Imperforate 10R4 is maybe the most difficult to obtain notable 1c stamp variety that there is. I never had one, and in 1995 when this stamp came up for sale, I missed it, and Wade got it. Back then I assumed I'd see another one. I only saw two really ugly singles go by, that I didn't want. The two 9-10R4 pairs didn't come to auction until after I had stopped focusing on 1c stamps.

What I listed above, is my complete list of the 5 imperforate 10R4's I've ever seen. No doubt there are a few more - this type of thing would surface on eBay, but yours is the ONLY presentable single I've ever seen.

When Wade's wonderful 1c collection was listed by Alan, over a year ago, I went through it, and if I were still specializing, my first two purchases would have been: your 10R4, your 60R3. Good eye.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
204 Posts
Posted 05/10/2021   7:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add widglo46 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I added another #8A to my collection that I am fairly certain is a plate 4, "D" relief, but I'm not sure of the plate position. The Neinken diagram for 78L4 shows plate marks in "S" and "T" that may match, but I'm not sure. The side marks and the blur in the "C" seem to be absent. If anyone can help me, I'd much appreciate it.

I've also been experimenting with microphotography, and this is the first stamp that I tried out my microscope setup. I know very little about either microscopy or photography, so the challenge has been great. I am really enjoying it, however, and I think that as I get into it, my plating ability will greatly improve. It's been frustrating to work with scans, because without good images, it's hard to get help from other experts.

The detail in the "S" and "T" of this stamp is shown as captured from a photograph vs. scanning at 2400 dpi. I've tried scanning at 4800 dpi, and even though the manufacturer states the optical resolution of the scanner (Canon LIDE 220) supports this, I actually find the scans to be of worse quality. Perhaps too much noise is introduced. At any rate, the detail obtained with a photograph compared to what I could obtain with the scanner blew me away.

Valued Member
United States
87 Posts
Posted 05/11/2021   12:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Njs900 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Widglo,

The marks in the C of Cent are the consistent in 78L4. Can you see anything under the cancel?
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
204 Posts
Posted 05/11/2021   5:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add widglo46 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
njs900 - I took a photo of the "C" in CENTS. I don't see anything that looks like the blur in the Neinken map. Is there another possibility with the distinctive mark that is in the "T" of my patient?
Page: of 17 Previous TopicReplies: 248 / Views: 20,780Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05