Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1c 1851 Plate 4 Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 222 / Views: 18,019Next Topic
Page: of 15
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2288 Posts
Posted 05/21/2018   7:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No I didn't look, I assumed it was what it was.

That's a nice Iowa CDS, which is somewhat scarce.
I'd keep that just as it is for that.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
952 Posts
Posted 05/21/2018   9:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think I would remove it.
Sometimes I see a stamp on a cover that I want but will not bid because I know I will destroy the cover. And I hate destroying things.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2394 Posts
Posted 05/21/2018   9:12 pm  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So what do you do with the cover fragment after you remove the stamps?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
952 Posts
Posted 05/21/2018   9:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good question. Without the stamp, the rest is useless. That is why I hate looking at covers. lol. I rarely buy anything on-paper. That is how I see it. It detracts from the stamp.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2394 Posts
Posted 05/21/2018   9:42 pm  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I doubt I would soak the stamp off of that item. It is already very small. IF I DID I WOULD KEEP THE PAPER FOR THE NEXT COLLECTOR!!!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2394 Posts
Posted 05/21/2018   9:49 pm  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I spent several years waiting to figure out what town is responsible for this cancel. I don't own the stamp (sad story about the one that got away) but I do have a cover now. Who can identify the town? If anybody removes stamps from covers, please, for the love of God, save the covers!

Pillar Of The Community
United States
952 Posts
Posted 05/22/2018   05:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is that 68L4 posted earlier. I finally got it in.
I looked at it closely and did not see any repairs that the paper backing was holding together so I took a chance and soaked the stamp to remove the paper.The stamp came out unharmed and undamaged under the paper.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1411 Posts
Posted 05/22/2018   09:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I always soak paper and hinge remnants off used stamps (such as on the 68L4 above). For single stamps on closely-cropped paper I would also soak. For multiples on closely-cropped paper (such as appeared to be the strip jaxom showed above) I would soak unless it appeared the paper was needed to reinforce weak perfs. For stamps on larger pieces showing postal markings (such as jaxom's actual Keokuk strip) I would not soak.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
745 Posts
Posted 05/22/2018   09:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Along these lines, is there any acceptable way to keep multiples from separating at the perfs through the use of some attachment to the back of the stamp that will not harm the stamp and is easily removed if desired? I though about Jaxoms pair and decided I'd probably not remove the backing as in time, if not there, the stamps are likely to separate. They lasted some 170 years attached together in this fashion and stand a greater chance of making it another 170 years if left alone. Why chance it?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2288 Posts
Posted 05/22/2018   10:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Its not uncommon to see hinges used to keep multiples together in spots where the perforations have separated. That's probably the most common method.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2288 Posts
Posted 05/22/2018   10:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Winston - that cancel doesn't immediately ring a bell with me - a very pretty item. Do tell.

edit: closest I could find was Louisville & St Louis SB, but in black. Very similar.
Edited by txstamp - 05/22/2018 3:41 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2394 Posts
Posted 05/22/2018   9:07 pm  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think that Louisville & St Louis cover is in the Gordon Eubanks collection.

This blue circle of wedges is from Stockton, CA. Here is my cover that finally solved the mystery.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2288 Posts
Posted 05/23/2018   09:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Winston - That's a wonderful cover, and a western use as well. Very nice.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1411 Posts
Posted 05/27/2018   2:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Update to my post of Feb 4, 2018 regarding Plate 4 stamp on Scituate cover:

I believe I have identified this as 67R4, a Type III Relief C. I looked at all the Scott #21's at Siegel's site. This stamp has the dash in shoulder noted by Doporto (which I missed under the rim of the CDS during my first go-round), as well as left-side scratches resembling those shown in Neinken. It shows other marks that neither of these sources mentions, and does not seem to exhibit some of the other marks shown in Neinken (neither does the Doporto photo), but that's Plate 4 for you...
Pillar Of The Community
United States
952 Posts
Posted 05/27/2018   5:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dudley, can you post a 1100 dpi (forum won't take bigger scans. Need to change to 250mb instead of 200mb.) scan of just the stamp? I would like to get a good look at it to give any opinion.

Edited by jaxom100 - 05/27/2018 5:30 pm
Page: of 15 Replies: 222 / Views: 18,019Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05