Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1c 1851 Plate 4 Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 227 / Views: 18,231Next Topic
Page: of 16
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1412 Posts
Posted 05/27/2018   11:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, jaxom, I am not equipped to do so.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
81 Posts
Posted 08/05/2018   3:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Njs900 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is 29-39-49L4. Types III, IIIa and Ic. Reliefs C, D and E. It is on a cover postmarked Canton O., Feb 25 1858.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
952 Posts
Posted 08/05/2018   7:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great find! That is a nice strip.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2293 Posts
Posted 08/05/2018   9:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
njs - what a terrific strip. Three different types.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1034 Posts
Posted 08/05/2018   11:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chipg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a plate 4 single on cover. The PF cert says it's a Scott 8A from plate 4. I have it as type IIIA and relief C, but have not been able to get a firm specific plating of it (and I've asked one of the best experts on the plate).

The cover was illustrated in an article in the Chronicle last year about these "Circular Paid" labels from Lockport, NY.
For your enjoyment:

Edited by chipg - 08/05/2018 11:45 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1034 Posts
Posted 08/05/2018   11:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chipg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
...and here are some scans of other 1c from covers in the same correspondence. Don't know what plates they're from, but I'm sure someone here can point me in the right direction.
Thanks.
Chip

(PS - If anyone wants a copy of the article, please drop me a note through the board - or join the USPCS!)
C.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
952 Posts
Posted 08/06/2018   09:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The first stamp (on cover) is type IIIa from plate 4, relief C, 3rd or 7th row.
My first choice would be pos 22R4.

The second stamp is type IV from plate 1 late relief A.
The third stamp is type IV from plate 1 late, relief B.
The fourth stamp is type IV from plate 1 late, relief B, pos 96L1L.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
952 Posts
Posted 08/06/2018   12:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I only had 30 minutes this morning to look at them.
The second and third stamp would need a higher resolution photo and a lot more time to plate.
Edited by jaxom100 - 08/06/2018 12:48 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2293 Posts
Posted 08/06/2018   12:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Lockport labels are neat items. I've always liked those.

The May 22nd 1857 cover that you have is a second month use from Plate 4. Doesn't add any value, just a data-point - the Pl 4 EKU is in April.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1034 Posts
Posted 08/06/2018   2:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chipg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you both for the information on all of the stamps.

I tried to upload the Lockport Label article to my website, but had some problems. Offer still holds if anyone wants to drop me a note for a .pdf of the article.

Chip
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2293 Posts
Posted 08/06/2018   2:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I read your article, and it was an interesting read.

In general, I always like circulars that have some explicit indication that there is printed matter inside. Whether there is a notation of "circular", or "printed matter", or whatever, it definitely adds some interest to the item for me. The use of labels for this is kind of the extreme example and is very interesting.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1060 Posts
Posted 08/15/2018   1:34 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In perhaps my most exciting purchase ever I picked this up from Siegel. Type 1a with old cert, but no plate info. Anyone want to give it a go? (no gum, scissor cut perfs, small thin spot)

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2293 Posts
Posted 08/15/2018   2:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow.

92L4.

Sometimes these bottom row Ia's are surprisingly tough to plate, but not yours. The impression on yours is so nice, that all the fine plating marks show well. There are a lot of them, and this is an easy match to the above position.

That is quite a stamp. Whenever I decide to spend beyond a certain amount of money on a stamp, I always ask myself, "will I ever regret owning this stamp?". If the answer is 'no', then I consider pulling the trigger. I predict that (money aside) you will never regret owning this stamp. Congrats.

edit: I have to re-iterate, that the impression and color on that stamp are about as good as it gets for Plate 4. That is a really beautiful stamp, and even though I saw it in the sale you bought it from, I didn't sit down to appreciate it until just now. Made my day, thanks.
Edited by txstamp - 08/15/2018 2:17 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1060 Posts
Posted 08/15/2018   3:53 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, thanks for the feedback. This stamp was on the top of my list of stamps I'd like to buy at this auction and on the bottom of the list of the ones I thought I might win. I feel quite lucky to have it. Thanks.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
900 Posts
Posted 08/15/2018   7:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rgstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rlsny:

Great stamp. Scott 19 unused is in the super rare category. Congrats on winning it.
And it is really really nice example . I'm jealous
Page: of 16 Previous TopicReplies: 227 / Views: 18,231Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 11.5 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05